New pickup choice for my Les Paul Traditional

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by ledvedder, Jan 8, 2018.

1. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

Yup. The JB with the guitar's volume full up makes everything sound like RATT. Try backing down the guitar's volume to 7 - 7 1/2 then turn up for solos. IME, the JB splits nice.

2. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

I've got an EC-1000 with the JB/59 setup and it sounds amazing!

I had a Les Paul with the same set and it was noticeably darker and not nearly as good.

3. ledvedder

ledvedder Senior Member

I grabbed an SD Custom to try in the bridge.

JohnnyN likes this.
  4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

Well, ha...I am lumping AIC and Tool into more modern bands. It is more of an age thing for me. But the Jazz/Custom set is wonderful for those bands.

5. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Sorry I didn't mention that my EC was EC401VF.. this one has thicker and full thickness body than the normal EC401 or EC1000 ... should be closer to real Les Paul...

However, if you tried the same pickups on a "real" LEs Paul, so your comment is for sure more relevant

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The JB has a VERY long history of spotted results in LP's. Something about the mid spike just doesn't sit with many individual guitars....or rigs. The Custom is usually a better option.......or the C/59.

If mag swapping is in your range then an A2 or a UOA5 has had good results for many - moving the spike to less piercing frequencies.

JohnnyN and northernguitarguy like this.
  7. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

Between the ceramic magnet and the maple top I'm betting it's gonna be bright. But nothing the guitar's tone knob can't fix.

8. ledvedder

ledvedder Senior Member

I thought the same thing at first. That's why I've never even considered the Custom in the past. But, so many folks have recommended it for the bridge of a Les Paul, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I do have extra magnets (A2, A5, UOA5, A8).

JohnnyN and alnico59 like this.
  9. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

[​IMG]

This is my 2010 Traditional Plus. Honestly the stock '57 Classic/Classic + were just terrible sounding no matter what I did. The strange thing was I usually get along with the Classics. So instead of going down the pickup rabbit hole I bit the bullet and had a set of pickups wound specifically for that guitar taking into consideration it's weight, the non vintage pickup [wider] spacing and what styles of music I intended to play on it. From the first A chord I knew it was a bingo. Cost me $300. But it was one and done and I think I would of spent a lot more If I ended up chasing the dragon.

10. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

It's been a long time but one of my good friends back home had a mid 70's Standard with a Custom and I remember it sounding good. But he played really loud through older Boogie amps. I'm interested in your findings.

11. ledvedder

ledvedder Senior Member

Mine is a 2016 Traditional. It has wider pickup spacing? The JB that I currently have in mine is F spaced, and looks odd because the polepieces are wider than the string spacing.

What are the specs of the pickups you had made? And where did you get them made?

12. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

Well compared to an Historic, which I also have, Yes. The Historic LP's from '99 and up have the closer vintage style spacing which is slightly closer towards the direction of the neck. So I had the bridge pickup for the Trad slightly over wound to compensate that. The winder told me the bridge pickup would be too bright and slightly weak if not so. I don't see a lot talking about this and wonder if it could be why so many can't find the right set? My guy knew better and asked which guitar they were going in. Seems important.

13. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

And I mean wider as in further apart from each other. Not wider across such as F spaced.

14. ledvedder

ledvedder Senior Member

Finally had a chance to install the Custom tonight. Wow this thing is bassy! I'll have to play around with it for a while to see if I can get it dialed in right.

15. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

I had a guitar with a Custom and replaced the magnet with an A4. Sounded great - in that guitar :)

16. ledvedder

ledvedder Senior Member

I have a bunch of magnets (A2, A3, A4, UOA5, A8) and I've been contemplating which ones to try.

JohnnyN likes this.
  17. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

A5 = Clarity at higher volumes, slightly more push and increased bass.
    A2 = Compresses more making the notes gel, slightly darker and less output than the A5.
    A4 = Bold, rounded mids, less treble.
    A3 = More chime, usually less output, less bass.

Of course the wind could change things dramatically. I would probably start off with the A5, then go A4, then A3 and finally the A2 if it's the SD Custom. Keeping in mind there is a ceramic mag in there now.

18. ledvedder

ledvedder Senior Member

Well, I found a Duncan Seth Lover set on ebay for $160 so I grabbed them. Maybe low output is what I'm looking for in the Les Paul. I'm so used to medium/high output pickups in my other guitars (superstrats and Peavey Wolfgang with FR bridges) that I thought higher output would be what I'd like in the Les Paul.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  19. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

SD a2pro (or Slash´s)
    Dimarzio 36h anniversary.
    Booth can cover a lot of ground from classic rock to heavy metal and won´t squeal with heavy distortion, still sounds warm and articulated.
    The Dimarzio´s sounds a bit more "vintage" if the term applies.

20. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

Sir, I bow to you with the utmost of respect. I had been a little put off by the tone of my Les Paul through my Dirty Shirley Mini. The bridge pickup was too bright, and the overall tone felt abrasive. So, yesterday after I got home from work, I was jamming along to the stereo, and I remembered this post...

I now have a nice, full clean neck pickup, with a nice round tone with the TS-9 engaged, and a bit of snarl with the GE-7 on top of that. The middle position is now MUCH more usable, especially with the neck rolled off to about 7 or 8. The TS-9 in the middle position is a fantastic rock rhythm tone, and the EQ pedal on top of that is very usable, too. I have to roll the tone back to about 7.5 on the bridge, but the tone is full, and still cuts. If I need the extra brilliance to get into Tele territory, its there. I have to be on my P's and Q's with the pickup selector and a bit more conscious of the volume and tone pots, but damn! What a difference.

Thank you very much!!