New pickup choice for my Les Paul Traditional

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by ledvedder, Jan 8, 2018.

1. ledvedder

ledvedder Senior Member

Hi guys, I wanted to get your opinions on a few pickup sets I'm considering to replace the 57/57+ Classic set in my Les Paul Traditional. I'm mainly a classic rock to modern rock (Alice in Chains) type of player. I play through either a Marshall DSL or a Ceriatone Chupacabra, which is basically a hot-rodded plexi. I need something that handles gain well, but is also quite versatile. I play in a rock cover band.

These are the sets I'm considering. Let me know what you'd pick.

Fralin Pure PAF set

Dimarzio 36th Anniversary set

Duncan JB/59 set

Vineham Whiskey Burner/V59 set

2. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Member

I’ve had great experiences with the JB/59 combo and I’m personally leaning toward a Dimarzio Master PAF combo or the Duncan Saturday Night Specials.

3. ledvedder

ledvedder Senior Member

Can you explain why? The Duncan's are A4, correct? And what's the difference between the Dimarzio PAF Master and the 36th's?

4. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I dunno about the Vineham Whiskey Burner, but his Whiskey Sour is fabulous for all types of Hard Rock/Metal.

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  5. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

I had the Vineham SV59s in my Trad and it was glorious-sounding. Well, as glorious as I can make a guitar sound.

6. dc007

dc007 Senior Member

Considering the amp power you are using a set of low wind pups would get you to a good place

7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

100% in agreement with this. I greatly prefer using my amps and pedals for my grit, while using low to medium output pickups.

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  8. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Member

Man I know nothing about magnets. The JBs are crisp and articulate and the ‘59 is creamy and articulate. The Master PAFs are supposed to be best Dimarzio PAF to date. I don’t have experience with the Masters or the SNS but I like the reviews.

9. ledvedder

ledvedder Senior Member

That's what I was figuring, but I've read that some low output bridge pickups can sound very thin under gain.

10. flamesarewicked

flamesarewicked Senior Member

I’ve had the dimarzio 36s out of those choices and they sounded great ..I actually still have the pickups. I don’t have anything to drop them in currently unfortunately

11. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

I'm not sure about the Fralin.

I've seen people argue and compare for days the 57's and the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary set. If you are looking for something different from the 57's, you may not want the 36the Anniversary.

Lots of people swear by the Duncan JB/59 set. You also pay the Seymour Duncan $$$.

Vineham winds an excellent pup and doesn't break the bank.
    I have the 60-70's T-Top in one LP and the hotter Whisky Burner in another.
    I enjoy using both for Hard Rock and Classic Rock with attitude.

Call Craig, let him know what kind of tonez you're interested in.
    He'll take care of you.

jdto likes this.
  12. dc007

dc007 Senior Member

That has not been my experience but tone is subjective. A low wind pup is def gonna require one to fiddle with the eq. I will concede that the higher the output of the pup the more high end roll off there is that gives the illusion of 'fatter'. Get a couple of sets and let your ear be the judge. Sell the ones you dont like.....good luck

13. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Just so yo know, I don't like the '57s very much.
    I find they lack a little torque, for lack of a better word.

I have a DiMArzio Paf Classic on the neck position on a SG and am not really impressed.
    But I use the bridge pup almost exclusively on that guitar (a SD'59!) !

I have a '59N/B combo on my LP Standard .
    My experience with SD's 59N and 59B has been very good.
    I know the JB/59 is a popular combination but I wonder if it's really all that better.
    From using, recommending and getting feedback, recording and hearing the 59's combo,
    I think they will deliver for the style you play.
    I personally use the braided wire ones, not the 4 conductors wiring.
    No problem at high volume. It gets better!

As with everything, YMMV!
    :D

14. ledvedder

ledvedder Senior Member

Isn't the 59 bridge really scooped?

15. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

The Duncan set is great, but also consider the Duncan Jazz/Custom set, which is wonderful in LPs for all sorts of modern rock.

JohnnyN likes this.
  16. ledvedder

ledvedder Senior Member

But it's not necessarily "modern" rock. The heaviest sounds I go for would be early AIC, early Tool. I guess you could say early to mid 90s stuff.

17. Rock City

Rock City Senior Member

I was pretty satisfied with anything familiar and average/more expensive. First it was Dual Sound, then 490r, 36th anni, Antiquity, sh-1n, again 490r, again sh-1n, Maxon U-1000 and Whole lotta.
    You have to learn to listen to your guitar and to response using amp properly. Off course, neck pickup height is crucial like vol pot which is always at 8.5 on my Les Paul.
    The magic starts when you adjust neck pickup sound first. Then compromise (if necessary) with adjusting bridge pickup height/vol/tone. My Les Paul neck pickup spreads warmth & joy when I do solos stepping on Boss ge-7 with some 300 and 1.6k over the line.

alnico59 likes this.
  18. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

^^^This! IME if you dial in the amp to the bridge pickup on a LP with 50's wiring you're left with a one trick pony with a muddy sounding neck pickup. But if you go in reverse and dial in the neck first and adjust the bridge with the controls on the guitar you end up with more balance and versatility with three usable positions. This sounds basic but you'd be surprised how many people don't do this and complain their guitar is too dark, bright, etc.. Or they end up going on the PAF merry-go-round.

And to answer the OP's question, I think many of the pickups mentioned here will do the job with the above mentioned approach applied.

19. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I had an Ltd EC401 (Les Paul shape) with JB/59 and I loved it for heavy stuff.. newer models of same guitar came with DiMarzio PAF ‘36 anniversary and i came across mixed feedback on them... some friends swear by their beauty and others totally hated them. I never owned, played, or heard them myself.

I would suggest the JB/59 (or Jazz) as it is most popular proven combination IMHO

20. ledvedder

ledvedder Senior Member

Ok, I installed a JB/59 set last night. I'm liking the 59 in the neck. Not really vibing with the JB in the bridge.

northernguitarguy likes this.