New Pedal Build...Distortus Maximus Clone

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Tweaker, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Tweaker

Tweaker Senior Member

Hey guys!

I finished up this build a couple of days ago and just got a chance to record a very sloppy demo. I've been looking into building something that would get me into high gain territory that isn't a fuzz (already built one of those). So far, I'm liking what I've got.

Here's a quick pic...I would give a gut shot, but I housed the guts in a junction box from Home Depot and mounted everything to the lid...basically, gut shots are hard to get right now haha.

[​IMG]

And here's the sound clip...don't mind the sloppy playing. I know, it's very bad haha. I recorded it with a mic I built myself so don't mind the crappy mic too!

https://soundcloud.com/jacobcanady/distortus-maximus-demo

Let me know what y'all think!

4 people like this.
  2. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Senior Member

Sweet!
    Haven't had a chance to listen yet but I'm digging the j-box look. :applause:

3. Kalz

Kalz Senior Member

That thing just sound nasty :shock: :dude:

1 person likes this.
  4. Tweaker

Tweaker Senior Member

Haha I hope that's nasty in a good way!

I'm diggin it for sure. I like my MXR 78's tone and transparency a little bit more, but I love the high gain I get out of this guy. When I run my ultimate drive with it, it gets super thick and heavy...you know, for those times you are just sick of everything and need to shred!

I think I'm gonna stick with junction boxes for the rest of my builds...they're cheaper than hammond style boxes:p. Plus I feel like they add to the "stick it to the man" nature of rock.

5. Batman

Batman Senior Member

Nice tone! What type of mic did you build? It sounds really good!

If you use the soundcloud button above and right it will give you the soundcloud commands; SC followed by /SC inside of square brackets []. I can't show you the commands as they keep getting eaten by the forum software

Put the address of your Soundcloud file between the commands and delete the s from https

This will give you an embedded player. . .

[SC]http://soundcloud.com/jacobcanady/distortus-maximus-demo[/SC]

6. Tweaker

Tweaker Senior Member

Ahhh very cool, thanks!

I built a condenser mic with a mic element from RadioShack haha! I found this link and followed the schematic...works like a charm!

tape op magazine diy omni mic

7. o0sanity0o

o0sanity0o Senior Member

Sounds like a beast!
    I really like the enclosure you used

8. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Senior Member

Love the layout! Had the real thing once; really heavy sound, but I traded it for a Guv'Nor MK I.

1 person likes this.
  9. bugg

bugg Senior Member

Very nice, I like it!

1 person likes this.
  10. Tweaker

Tweaker Senior Member

Thanks guys!

The more I mess around with it, the more I like it. It definitely isn't "airy" like a couple other pedals I have, but I really dig the thickness of it for heavier stuff. Kind of a one trick pony in a sense. The EQ is rad, it gives me quite a bit of room to get different heavy sounds. I haven't messed around with it on lower gain settings yet, but I don't know if I even want to because I dig how my other lower gain pedals sound.