[New] Need advices about wich amp to chose

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by mavina, Mar 17, 2008.

1. mavina

mavina Junior Member

Hi,

First let me introduce myself : I'm Fred and I'm French. I love les-paul guitars (like everybody here I suppose ^^)

So I Will buy soon an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II. I would appreciate you to give me some informations about this guitar, if the choice is good. It's my first electric guitar, so I was a little crazy about this guitar when I saw the presentation video and this test.

What is your opinion about that ?

Anyway, when I'll receive it, I'm wondering wich one amp I will chose... I don't know anything about differences between amps yet.
    I love rock sounds but I love the "acoustic" sounds of Les-Paul too, so I'd like an amp that could render both of them not perfectly but good...

So, thank you for the answers you will give to the new I am in the Guitar World :dude:

Greetings from France

F.

2. gofguitarKP

gofguitarKP Senior Member

I've never played an Ultra II but I think it's very good guitar, and after seeing the video there's no doubt about it.

The things I like about it:

*Quilted "Maple" top
    *Alnico Classic Humbuchers
    *Grover Tuners
    *Black "custom or studio type knobs"
    *Slim Taper Neck
    *Output jacks give you some cool combinations to use more than one amp...

The things I dont like:

*Acoustic mode doesn't sound too acoustic to me, I prefer the sound of an acoustic guitar, but still like the sound.
    *Lighter body, chambered and so...dont know, just don't like it...just my opinion.
    * You got 1 mastertone instead of 2 separate tone knobs...

In what refers to amps I'm not able to give you some eperienced advice so I hope someone else can...I dont even have a good amp for my electric LOL:wtf:

que tu as un bon jour! (just an online translator...hehe!)

Gofguitar:hippie:

3. mavina

mavina Junior Member

Hey !

I didn't understand the french sentence, what did you wanna say ?

"hello to you" ?

I'm reassured about the guitar, I was affraid ,because it's a new model, that you say such that thing : "it's not a good model, just take a custom LP" because I hesitated very much between LP Custom Ebony and LP UltraII midnight black...

Pfiou :D

I thank you for the answer. I hope some-one will be able to advice me for the amp. I can spend 200 to 400€ for an amp, that is ... 300 to 650USD.

I don't want to spend 650$, if I can spend 350$ and have a good amp, it's ok :)

Thanks

F.

4. gofguitarKP

gofguitarKP Senior Member

HAHA!! I was supposed to be a "have a nice day" in french...but..Fu...in translators never do a good job!

OK...I think the Ultra2 is a good guitar, you've chosen a good one. However, since the guitar is a very personal object, and has to fit its owners preferences and tastes, physical and sound prefs... I have to say I wouldn't choose the ultra as my first electric guitar. I think I would have problems to get along with so many knobs around heheheh but thats all about my unability (if this word actually exist, Im a spanish speaker :))!

You'll surely fall in love with your baby and as long as you keep playng and staring at her, you will want another, and that could be a nice Black custom, or a standard, and then you will have the opportunity to taste the power of a non chambered body, and the classic LP sound...

The amp...I could suggest a Marshall MG combo 50watts or 30Watts as a nice low price thing, but as i said before im not expert, and the following 30 posts may say bad things about me for recommending u this combo hahahah so...I did what i could...

Now HAve a Nice day!!!!
    Keep posting any doubts cause there're very experienced people here who can explain almost everything u and I can imagine...LOL:rofl:

5. mavina

mavina Junior Member

"Have a nice day" is said in french :

"passez une bonne journée" if you use "usted", "passes une bonne journée" if you use "tù"

Thanks for your post :)

F.

6. Mikeeeeh

Mikeeeeh Senior Member

Hi Fred, Firstly welcome to MLP, enjoy the trip! :wave:

Secondly I just watched that review of the Ultra II and I have to say I was really impressed... you're off to a good start with that guitar...

Amps I'd recommend for your price range would be...

MARSHALL AVT50X - Cyberstore International Français

VOX AD50VT112 - Cyberstore International Français

or a cheap little valve optionwould be the

EPIPHONE VALVE JUNIOR HEAD - Cyberstore International Français

along with the

EPIPHONE VALVE JUNIOR 1X12" CABINET - Cyberstore International Français

or you could get the combo of this...

EPIPHONE VALVE JUNIOR EPA-JR - Cyberstore International Français

It pretty much depends on what you wish to get out of the amp... for home use I'd recommend the epi valve jnr... but if you plan to gig then I'd go with the Marshall, Vox options...

Hope this helps some

Cheers
    Michael

7. mavina

mavina Junior Member

8. Mikeeeeh

Mikeeeeh Senior Member

With regards to the epi, one is a set of an amp head and a speaker cabinet, its basically the same as the combo but it'll have a bigger speaker, 12" compared to the 8" speaker in the combo. Its a very nice amp for getting both clean and rock sounds out of plus its a valve amp so you can get a much more traditional warm crunch out of it when you crank it up :wave:

The others are really good amps also for the budget... If I were choosing for home use I'd go for the epi head and cabinet combo... that my opinion!

Cheers

9. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Welcome! I think that Ultra 2 is really cool. As far as the amps that were mentioned above, all are great choices. The Vox is a "Hybrid" amp. It has a solid state preamp and a 12AX7 tube in the power amp. Kind of a warmer tube type of sound than the normal solid state amp. Also if effects are your thing, it has all the effects you'll ever need, right on board, and a handfull of different amp sound models built right in. The Marshall is also a Hybrid amp, but without the amp sound models or effects built in. But if you're not really into effects in the first place, the quality of sound from this Marshall and versatility that this amp will still give you is excellent.

The Epi Valve Juniors are totally different animals. 5 watts Class A tube amps. Very simple in design. EL84 and 12AX7 for tubes, 1 volume knob, plug in and play. DEFINATELY go with the head and cab package if you go this route. You have the option of using the Epi 1x12 Cab which sounds way better than the 8" speaker that is in the combo IMO, and you can power many different cab configurations with the Valve Jr. Head. 5 class A tube power is deceiving, trust me. I have a little Gibson 5 watt Class A combo and it can get almost too loud for home use. The only real downside in this type of amp is that you literally need to "blast up" the volume all the way to reach its full distortion. Insanely loud. Buy an overdrive pedal with these amps, and you'll have all the heavy rock tones you want, at any volume. My vote is for the Valve Junior half-stack!

Good luck man!

10. ZoomZilla

ZoomZilla V.I.P. Member

I think the VOX amps are really cool. They are great for home use. They are Modelers, so that means they model a tube amp sound, but they are solid state. The cool thing about them is the built in effects. You can have a lot of fun with it. A modeler would be good for you because solid state amps sound better at lower volumes. A tube amp needs to have some power behind it before you get any great sounds. Playing a tube amp at low volumes does not do it justice.

11. WhippingPost

WhippingPost Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. :wave: My name is Fred, too. :thumb: Is Fred short for Frederic?

I'm not sure how well you read english, or how the translator will handle the text, so please forgive me if any of this seems too basic, or doesn't come out right.

The Epiphone Valve Junior is a nice little amplifier. I have one, and I am very fond of it. It is available as a half-stack (an amp head and speaker cabinet in seperate enclosures), or a combo (the amp head and speaker in the same enclosure). These are the same basic amplifier, just in different "clothes". The Valve Junior, is a "one trick pony", which means that it's really only good for doing one thing. It has a very nice blues or classic rock sound. It does start to distort very early on the volume dial - about 1/4 of the way up - with normal humbucker pickups. It does have a nice clean sound below that, however, which should work with the acoustic side of the Ultra II. The amp is 5 watts (low powered) which is well suited for home use, as you are already pushing the valve at bedroom levels (maybe a little louder), and getting the best sound out of it. It can get quite loud if turned all the way up, though.

I also have a Vox Valvetronix. These amplifiers are able to create a wide range of sounds from bright, clean jazz to crunchy, distorted rock. It also comes with a wide range of effects built in. I cannot add much more to this than the others have said. Either the AD15VT (15 watt) or AD30VT (30 watt) would work for home use with the volume turned down. My AD30VT never goes above 1/4 volume at home, and that can fill the house with sound.

I can only comment on these two because I have experience with them. They are within your price range and readily available here in the States. Things may be slightly different on your side of the pond.

Hope this helps you.

Take care,
    Fred

12. mavina

mavina Junior Member

I think I'll take all amps's models you give me and will test them all at store when my guitar will be there ;)

Yes it's a short from Frédéric. Anyway don't worry about my english level, as you can see what i'm writing in this forum doesn't come from a translator. I may do grammary mistakes, but it's because there's so many months I haven't practiced english as I do now. So you can speak as "normally" as you want, I'll get back my english skill by the way :p
    So as I said, I have a good basis about differents amps I can take with my les paul. The problem I had was that I love Les-Paul guitars, but nowhere in the Internet I could find "with a les paul, you can take this amp that will give you good sound for rock and acoustic with a Les-Paul"...

When I found this forum, I said myself "alleluia" :thumb:

Anyway, if you have any advices about how to test an amp (what should I play on them to compare them), just tell me :)

Thanks a lot !

F.

13. WhippingPost

WhippingPost Senior Member

How to test an amp? Just keep it simple. Make sure all of the knobs work without crackling through the speaker. All the switches should work, as well.

As far as what to play, you should play a song that you like, and that you are comfortable playing. Adjust the knobs to see if you can get the sounds that you want. Don't be afraid to spend some time with each amp to get to know it. In the end, one will stand out, and you'll want to take it home. If you don't know how to play, then ask one of the employees at the shop to play through the amps you are considering.

That is all I can think of for the moment, although I'm sure someone will come forward with more information. Remember, though: The most important thing is what sounds good to you.

I hope you find this helpfull.

Fred

14. goldencd

goldencd Senior Member

Hey man.

Nice guitar. It is very versatile I had Ultra and loved it. If the Ultra II had been out I would have purchased it instead. Get it Setup properly by a guitar tech and you are ready to roll!

I would hold off on an amp and take your guitar to a shop and plug it in to whatever options are in your price range. I mad the mistake of buying a Vox30VT based of online reviews. It was cool, but it wasn't me. I didn't need cheesy effects, and the presets were not to my liking. Eventually I traded it for a Marshall jcm2000 DSL.

I got it at a steal, $400 usd. I got the sound I wanted. TUBES. So in my opinion I would recommend a Tube amp. Thats the thing, you might not know what you like best unless you take your axe and plug it into a bunch of amps and hear for yourself.

In general for the ULTRA II, I would choose an amp with a great CLEAN channel, so you can get as an Acoustic sound as possible out of the guitar, without actually buying an acoustic guitar amp. Possibly a Fender Delux or something... The only thing with that is the overdrive channel is severly lacking in comparison to comparably priced Marshall's.

Good luck my man.

Peace

15. mavina

mavina Junior Member

Songs I'm comfortable with are Unintended and Stairway to heaven (small part of intro), so i'll be only able to test acoustic things. I may play Zombie but I don't know if it will help me test an amp :confused:

16. mavina

mavina Junior Member

Hi again !

I phoned to the shop and could someone tell me why Epiphone is soooooooo long to ship a guitar ? :wtf:

That's very :mad:

F.