New MIJ, which one?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by melt, Oct 11, 2018.

1. melt

melt Senior Member

I want a NEW really good LP Standard. Or Custom. Haven't decided yet :rolleyes: I look at Tokai LS95 and FGN Neo Classic 10. Or Tokai LC107 vs FGN Neo Classic 20 (Custom)

If we compare the Custom's: Tokai has rosewood and their own pickups, FGN has ebony and Seymour Duncan's. On the other hand, the FGN's lower horn is sharper, not like a trad. LP. There is a more expensive Tokai Custom, with ebony and SD 59's. But, it's more expensive... o_O

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018

2. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Your question is very unspecific.

What Kind of Les Paul? Custom/Burst Style? Modern or rather vintage look/sound?

I´d get a PRS S2 :)

3. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I assume you mean by "NEW" a brand new guitar not just new to you... why do you want to buy NEW? Buying used opens hell more options

With the lack of details in your question, you are just comparing two brand names and both are equally good to me !

4. melt

melt Senior Member

Brand new, yes. I just want a new guitar. I'm lazy, and it's a minefield with used guitars. I'm just not comparing two brands, I even specified the models.
    But thanks for the answer anyway, I guess you can't go wrong with either of these guitars:applause:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018

5. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

You really cannot go wrong with any of the guitars mentioned.

My FGN LC20 is an absolute monster and it still puts a huge smile on my face.

Whenever I feel fed up, I am compelled to pick it up and I instantly find my happy place.

melt, Gtarzan81 and paruwi like this.

6. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

I can vouch for both the FGN 10R (Plaintop Standard) and the 20E (Custom) as I own both. I brought mine over from Japan, so both have the more traditional rounded horn. Both are killer, but in their own way. The 20E is all mahogany (no maple cap) like the original customs and have Duncan pickups. The 10R has the plain maple cap and Fujigen pickups. I was surprised how much I liked the pickups. Both play incredibly well. The 10R is currently for sale in the US.

FWIW, I own and have owned several different Fujigen/FGN guitars and not one of them has been any less than fantastic. All were bought used.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Mockbel and melt like this.

8. melt

melt Senior Member

You've got some nice guitars for sure. The FGN Neo Classic 10 is about 280 USD cheaper than the Tokai LS95 (but the Tokai comes with a hardcase, the FGN with a gigbag)
    I don't think the sharper horn on the FGN is a deal breaker for me

I have this FGN tele, really nice guitar

paruwi likes this.

9. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

it wasn't for me, cases can be had for 50-100€

10. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Senior Member

That horn shape is the "Florentine" cutaway, Gibson has put out LP's with that in the past.
    Al

11. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

I own 4 Tokai's and they are superb instruments, I can't recommend them highly enough

Pop1655 likes this.

12. melt

melt Senior Member

currypowder: where did you buy your used FGN's? I've been looking at a few japanese sites, and on ebay

13. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

I actually like the sharpened horn - makes the guitar look more aggressive and ESP-like.

[​IMG]

paruwi likes this.

14. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Need @elephantrider in here.

Own one of each in semi's. Great fan of both brands. I've never laid hands on an FGN single cut. Just because the voting is getting lopsided, I'll add that the newer Tokai 100 LP I had the honor of housing for a brief period was an extremely impressive LP. I vote keep em on the list!

elephantrider likes this.

15. elephantrider

elephantrider Senior Member

yup, i'm in the tokai club. this is my #1.. i'd always recommend an upper
    end mij tokai. now, some of the fgn's that @paruwi has, and certainly the
    unit that @Pop1655 has, are uber nice, so i couldn't steer you away from
    those models.

toke.jpg

paruwi likes this.

16. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

I picked up the 10R on Yahoo Japan through a proxy. The 20E I ordered directly from a dealer, but I don't remember which one.

I particularly like the 20E as it has specs that are hard to find elsewhere. Most solid color customs I see have a maple cap. Of course there's nothing wrong with that, but I like that it's more in line with the originals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not voting against the Tokai, I just have no experience with the model melt mentioned. I own 3 upper end tokais and cannot recommend them highly enough.

elephantrider likes this.