NEW MGL20 Amp!!

Discussion in 'Mark's Guitar Loft' started by markguitar, Oct 13, 2017.

1. markguitar

markguitar MLP Sponsor

Sneak Peek at the new MGL20 amp! The basic circuit of the amp is much the same as the MGL50 but with a custom low voltage power transformer and a pair of 6V6 power tubes. So a killer master volume Marshall tone that's about 22 watts. Like the MGL50, the lower voltage makes the amp very smooth and sweet but still has plenty of Marshall like attitude! The main focus for the amp was something that would sound great at low "at home" volumes, but also would do fine at lower volume band gigs and rehearsals. And it does all of that and then some!! Amp will be available in 2 head cab sizes, 26"(standard 50 small box) and a small 20" to fit on top of the smaller 1-12" speaker cabs without hanging over the sides. I'm also working on a 1-12" combo with Jeff Swanson Cabinets that will be available. Just like the MGL50, this amp is all point to point hand wired. SoZo caps, custom USA made transfomers, mil spec teflon wire, NOS Chinese Military grade 12AX7 preamp tubes & matched JJ 6V6's, .090" aluminum chassis w/ welded corners, black powder coat and screened with metallic gold ink. The Metropoulos "Zero Loss" effects loop is an option for $180.00. The base price for the head is $1,700.00. Heads are available to order as of now and wait time will only be about 2 weeks. Custom tolex colors are also available depending on what Swanson has in stock. Email or call for more info and to order. Listing should be up on my site sometime tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

RAG7890, THDNUT, NHTom and 4 others like this.
  2. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Senior Member

I was very lucky enough to be able to have the MGL20 prototype sent to me to demo for a few days. I can safely say that this is completely Marshall JMP 2204 in a 22 watt package. Mark has been able to successfully utilize 6V6 in the power section and maintain the EL34 punch, tightness and crunch of the original 50 watt circuit. Additionally if you want to back off the gain to around 5 you will experience incredible light gain crunch ala all of the classic 60's and 70's recordings that you love. Namely AC/DC, Kossoff, early Clapton and all the Duane stuff. I set it up that way and couldn't stop playing. I'm a gain junky and this amp has plenty of it to spare but I just stayed on that just past the edge of breakup zone and the feel, tone and response at any volume was magic. I will own one.

pinefd, NHTom, mdubya and 1 other person like this.
  3. buckwild

buckwild Premium Member

Wow wow, looks absolutely killer.

4. NHTom

NHTom Senior Member

Went and checked one of these out in person tonight...here's my review.......
    SHORT VERSION: Amp ordered...end of story.
    lol
    LONG VERSION: Amazing amp. The tone out of this thing is incredible. At a low enough volume to still hear Mark's shop radio, this thing still sounded massive. No loss of the bottom end at very quiet volume. Very good string definition, cleans up easily and is very responsive to the guitar's volume control. Gets loud enough to easily play in a band rehearsal or small gig. I got to check out some of the components un-assembled and the build quality is amazing. The tolex work is top notch, the powder coating and screen printing are beautiful, the cabinet construction is great.

I had previously checked out the amazing MGL50, and this amp has all the same attention to detail, quality construction, and incredible tone in a lower wattage version.

All that, and Mark is a great guy to deal with.

Can't wait!!!!

NHTom

5. Humbucking

Humbucking Member

Damn sexy looking! I tried the prototype a little while back. I love my MGL50 & will most likely take home a MGL20:dude:

6. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

*Gasp!*

*Fans face*

[​IMG]

That's beautiful!

mdubya and RAG7890 like this.
  7. markguitar

markguitar MLP Sponsor

Just added some quick iPhone clips to my YouTube page. better sound clips are in the works.

8. markguitar

markguitar MLP Sponsor

For the launch of this amp I've decided to offer free FedEx ground shipping and a 48 hour approval! Can't get better than that!

Curious George and mdubya like this.
  9. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

That amp sounds stellar! Are those clips with the guitar straight into the amp?

mdubya likes this.
  10. markguitar

markguitar MLP Sponsor

Yes sir! Les Paul and Tele straight in. Tele tuned to open G.

11. mapleflame

mapleflame Senior Member

Definitely one of the best New amps I've heard. Cool to have usable 22 watts with a Master Volume. My favorite amp I had was a 78 Marshall 100 watt lead with the master volume.

mdubya likes this.
  12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

What tone! Really great old Marshall tone in a usable package. Great effort to produce these. :applause: