New Les Paul Plustop Pro... First Impressions... Amazing!

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by 526THz, Apr 7, 2017.

1. 526THz

526THz Junior Member

Hi all,
    this week I purchased a new Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro in Honey Burst (pics below) and wanted to share some impressions.
    I wanted a guitar to try alternative tunings on and to carry around, other than my Gibson Les Paul Studio. And I wanted a Les Paul. And I wanted a burst. And... :)
    I found a good deal (398 euros shipped) and went for it... It arrived on Wednesday.
    First impressions: I love it! The finish is perfect, I really love the burst and the color is one of my favorites. Machine heads are great and there are no misalignments or smears of any kind on body/neck.
    I had to fix the neck relief (too tight) and now I need to lower the action to fit my preferences. But these normal settings. I must admit that the build quality is very, very good.
    I couldn't play a lot yet, but up to now I like the sound I get and also the range as the knobs are very sensitive, just like on my Studio: I use to keep a low volume on the neck pickup to switch to a "almost clean sound" by simply using the pickup selector (especially now that I play through an Orange Micro Terror that has only one channel) and you can tell the difference at every minimal rotation of the knob (I don't know if this is clear but.... :) )
    Also the neck is very comfortable. It's slim. I'm just as fine as on my Studio, I don't know if there's any difference, I didn't measure them but the way I feel is good on both of them.
    About the Plustop Pro and the Studio... I had to weigh them both! After playing with the Plustop Pro, I picked the Studio up (to take the picture below) and it felt so light... I did some quick tests with a scale at home... Obviously they cannot be extremely accurate measurements, but I found:
    - Gibson Les Paul Studio (2009): 3.6 Kg
    - Epi Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro: 4.0 Kg

You really feel the difference in weight... And it feels SO solid...
    What do you think about this?

I just wanted to post these comments to confirm to all of those who are wondering whether this is a good guitar to buy or not... The Plustop Pro is (in my opinion) an excellent option, with an impressive value for money!!
    Only thing to consider: you must add some money for a good case... Today I bought a hardshell case from Gator, but you'll need at least a gig bag as it comes without either of them...

And now... I go to play :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rku615 likes this.
  2. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Nice Pair!

HNGD :cheers2:

3. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

Very nice! Congratulations and happy NGD :)

Gibson have chambered body - unless you pay through your nose for a Custom Shop. Epiphone still make true solid body Les Paul guitars (except the Ultra), like Lester Polfus, and Ted McCarty designed them :D

4. dCi_king

dCi_king Senior Member

I do really love mine. Congrats and HNGD!

5. pmacko

pmacko Junior Member

I have had my Plus Top Pro for about 2 years now and I still love it. I have had other Gibson Les Pauls but I never bonded with them like I have with this one.

Paul

6. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Nice congrats!

7. Cathead

Cathead Junior Member

Yummy

8. scrumm21

scrumm21 Premium Member

Very Nice ! Welcome to the club.....

9. Bigjoedo

Bigjoedo Senior Member

Happy NGD!!!

10. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

Congratulations! Your Honey Burst PlusTop Pro is gorgeous. I have one in Heritage Cherry Sunburst. The Epi PlusTop Pros are really nice! They sound and play great and are beautful to look at.

11. edselman

edselman Senior Member

What a beautiful Lester!

12. 526THz

526THz Junior Member

Thanks! You know, it's funny because the more I play it the more I find differences from the Gibson Studio.. for example it resonates a lot more. You play a chord and you feel the vibration in the body... it's difficult to explain but... it's good! :)

13. Koebiguitar

Koebiguitar Junior Member

Congrats, and nice Post :)) I got one too, thus I feel with you... And AS for the weight: Main reasons I got myself a Ultra III, with Chamberd Body. It really feels different. And the Belly Scarf ist a nice Plus, too. Although: I got no Belly :-(((