New KORINA Explorer & Flying V coming!

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by AK Epi Player, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Brave Ulysses

Brave Ulysses Senior Member

Mine is sweet! My bridge was straight, but I am swapping out for a Gotoh. Also dropping in an Electric City wiring harness and some Sheptone Tributes. Will be even better when done and a lot cheaper than any other Korina 58 V option. Mine has a fat neck and I love it!

2. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

No.

3. Kong

Kong Senior Member

I love my Explorer it is my favorite guitar. So nice and comfortable to play standing or sitting. I took this shot of her yesterday.

[​IMG]

4. LSAR

LSAR Professional Lurker Premium Member

Local L&M had the new Korina Vs and Explorers in last night. They'd unbooxed them and not done any setup at all before sticking them in the top rack way out of reach. I got the guy doing some setups to pull down the Explorer for me and gave it a decent run through, tuned it up, fiddled with the bridge a bit to get the action closer to right, and then spent some time with it in the amp room through one of those new Boss Katana's (what I was mainly there to check out, as well as an EHX Crayon). I was impressed all around.

The Crayon is exactly as advertised, and I think it will work well for what I may shortly need it for, if it will in fact be needed.
    The Katana, I played the 100W 1x12 on the .5W setting, which has more than enough volume to make me uncomfortable for general practice. Some cool sounds, I couldn't quite dial in what I would want out of an amp from it though. From glassy clean, to some jangle, to full on gain it's all there, EQ works well, and the Reverb is pretty decent. I'm not one for effects and just use a dash of reverb when available. The Katana did great in general but didn't convince me to take it home.

Back to the Korina Explorer - which was excellent and which I would definitely take home (however $699 CAD plus 15% in tax is not in the budget right now). Pickups were a little low and so I didn't get too great of a picture of how it should sound plugged in. However, once I got her in tune (was lingering between Eb and D when I picked it up) and lowered the bridge slightly she played great. Seriously awesome. Fit and finish were immaculate and the fretwork was gorgeous, shiny and polished looking. Fretboard was typical Epi, though not as bad as some examples for lingering dye or whatever their darkening compound is for the rosewood, it was definitely used. Again, this was literally just unboxed and placed up high, they had not gotten to it for some fresh strings or for any setup, which lately this location is pretty good for. I was probably the first to play it. It was LOUD, acoustically, extremely resonant, extremely balanced when playing, it just ripped end to end. I have no complaints and I may head back some time today or towards the end of next week with a tiny screwdriver to bring the pickups up a little and get a more honest look at things plugged in.
    As for the veneer. I fully expected a stripey and ugle top and back veneer of slightly lighter wood than the center/main body. This was not the case - there was a gorgeous top veneer showing no signs of being more than one piece, and the body was about 5 pieces with no back veneer, the colors of the wood and the blending between veneer and body was for the most part pretty good. The neck profile was by no means a thick one, but wasn't overly thin it was just big enough to be comfy.

I also played some Gibson's, and being the lover of thick necks I am I have to say that the '15s they still have around are actually growing on me. There's a couple there that play great and sound great once you take a second to adjust to the profile, and the convenience of the self-tuning system is something I can actually see after having spent a couple of hours (I have no life and nobody else was there looking at guitars or trying to get into the amp room, so why stop?) tuning guitars around the store to check them out. It's worked without issue for me in all cases and I like it. The star of the evening however was a Memphis ES-LP of some type. It was used priced at $2200 CAD, and it kicked ass and you barely knew it was there. Only issue was it didn't seem to stay in tune too long.

tldr: Explorer flawless, go get you some Korina.

5. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

i put my order in today for a V, and should have it friday.

also, gear never arrives on a friday. it's a rule of gear or some such. :squint:

we'll see, i'm hopeful. if it needs a bridge i'll get one. :dunno:

6. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

I also ordered a Korina V, although one of the 2009 ones in mint condition - over here in europe stores say they will be available march next year, I don't want to wait that long. Really stoked, will do a NGD soon, most likely monday (because stupid me told the seller to send it to the office I work at but we have signed a paper with the local post to keep all deliveries on saturdays until the next business day because noone works in the office on saturdays)

7. LSAR

LSAR Professional Lurker Premium Member

I was back at L&M tonight and strummed on the V a little bit. Holy hell. I'm in love. I'd never played a legit V with the rubber grip pad on the side before, and it solves all my problems with playing a v while sitting down. This thing slayed, was flawless, and probably weighed under 5 lbs!?! If not then definitely under 6. The only issue I could see having with that thing is neck dive.

8. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

i've had no neck dive issues with any flying v guitar, not sure where people get that from. SG's i completely understand.

9. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

mine arrived this morning, fedex didn't even ring the bell so it's a good thing i kept refreshing my tracking info. they left it outside at my door in 18F temps. why not? thanks again fed ex!

after letting the box warm up for 30 minutes or so i tore into it.

[​IMG][​IMG]

the yellowy dye was a little sloppy around the edge of the veneer and in the joints. [​IMG]

super lightweight guitar, neck feels great - sort of a thick(er) '60s D profile. fretwork is nice but i've only played it a bit unplugged, maybe 15 minutes of noodling and adjusting the bridge height. the fretboard is a nice thick slab of dark rosewood with some nice grain to it, a very nice board in my opinion. my bridge posts are straight up 90 from the body, no issues there. scarf joint right at the headstock, assumably to make it stronger and make use of smaller blanks of korina. mine is a 4 piece body with veneers on front and back, just like customer service said.

i'll play it plugged in and see if i'm good with the pups. if not, there's a set of vineham '59s in the parts bin that i never used for a tokai lp that would probably do well in this guitar.

but my take on a $500 guitar new fresh out of the box? i'd put it this way, this EPI is close to the level of a PRS SE, but not quite there. is it worth the $500? absolutely. especially since it's the only '58 korina flying V type guitar you'll find on the market until you reach japan, and those are still twice the price of this.

i can see keeping it and appreciating it for what it is, and not worrying about it too much if it gets ding'd in use.

funnily enough, when i opened the outer box, the Epi box with the V was packed upside down in the outer box, so it rode here from MS on it's headstock.

10. Dawis67

Dawis67 Junior Member

Can you please take some pictures of the fretboard as well? Im worried that the guitar has cheap frets that will wear out pretty quickly. Hows the fretbuzz?

11. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

i lowered the bass side a bit and i don't get any buzz. pics of board/frets on the way.

12. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

13. Dawis67

Dawis67 Junior Member

Thanks for the pictures and fast response. Im bit unsure if this will be an upgrade from my Jackson Soloist SLX. The frets are kind of worn on that one and i have had fretbuzz on it since day 1. It doesnt really bother me but if i was gonna get a new guitar i would want it without fretbuzz. Also not sure how long do the Epi frets last. The jackson frets looked pretty solid as i got them. Never had an Epi but i have tried some at guitarstore.

14. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

glad to help.

i adjusted the truss a little bit and was able to get the action down a little more. i pick medium heavily so to speak and it's not a problem. i don't like action super low though, just lower than the guitar came set up.

i've never heard of epi's needing frets any sooner than any other guitar but i guess maybe. this is my first epiphone.

15. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

Nice Olds, that should ease the GAS until a Bacchus comes up somewhere. :thumb: I'm still on the look out for you. I wouldn't hesitate on a Bacchus Korina Explorer either if I were you. They are killer!

16. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

Nice one Kong! :thumb:

17. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

ok, noted on the explorer. and yes, this should hold me over until the next 2010K comes a calling. :fingersx:

18. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

When I bought these two I was in heaven, I sold the Ex but I may have to buy one again because I love the body.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

Interesting "transition" on the bridge pickup. Look at my '98 on the left when it was new. Almost all import CNC machine rout far from the bridge no matter what model, LP, etc...

Then the new runs which are now a little closer, more "period correct" for me (not to mention "snappier" sounding). and then there's my modded Epi on the right with the bridge in my desired position....

[​IMG]

20. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

Absolutely in love with my Korina V, its a 2009 though and the neck is pretty skinny on this one, still an amazing guitar. I was worried about the pickups being rather bad and having to upgrade them but so far I'm incredibly surprised with how good they sound, I love this guitar! my number 1 for sure....

[​IMG]