New KORINA Explorer & Flying V coming!

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by AK Epi Player, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

I don't think you need to swap the grovers on epiphones... unless you really want locking tuners. I'm in a similiar state of mind as you are and I'd def. go for the gibson (even better, used gibson if possible.)

2. hepsen

hepsen Member

The Epi site does not say Grover: Epiphone "Deluxe" Tuners with Tulip buttons, 18:1

Well, used Gibson Korinas are far out of my price range I can afford without winning the lottery...
    Other nice V's seem to be also quite rare or pricy used right now!?

3. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

oh sorry - I didn't saw that they have weird tuners... turns me off even more, although I really want a korina one.
    Here in Germany you can get used or b stock gibson flying vs for under 900€... but that's still pretty steep. Of course if you want a korina it will be very difficult

4. hepsen

hepsen Member

The more I think about it and share thoughts in this forum I tend to the Gibson ones. Maybe the Epi Korina is an option to buy used in some years.

OR we share an Epi depending on where you live in Germany :thumb:

5. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

Well if you just want a Flying V, then I'd agree the Gibson is probably the better deal, however if you want a 58 style V your options are severely limited. You have the epis and then really expensive options. Even with a little money invested in upgrades these epis for me, are still a lot cheaper than the alternatives, and to me they really don't need much.

6. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

Hamer at one point made a Standard (their Explorer) and between that, the matching V and Ex I owned, I was set. Hamer had a flatter FB, thinner neck...like a Hamer, lol. But for under $500 they were cool.

7. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

I'd definitely consider either the V or the Explorer. The veneer looks really obvious in some photos though. like the finish darkened the seam. I will have to see one in person.
    Even a butcher block Epi made of Korina should be a real midrangey rock/death machine.
    I had an Orville by Gibson Explorer made of 4 or 5 pieces of korina and that was a great guitar which I should've not let go...dammit!

My hammered 98 V is colored so that the veneer is not obvious until its in your hand.
    I'd love an Ibanez Destroyer (which like the Rocket Roll has as much in common with a Norlin pancake as a 58 V) but the price keeps climbing and I want the Super 70's PU's.

8. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

The Hamer's weren't cheap though, unless this was an import version Im unaware of.

9. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

korina '58 V for under $600? yes please. (already have some extra pups a'waiting)

and i'm only seeing a scarf on the explorers. we'll see i guess.

10. hepsen

hepsen Member

I also think that there is a vaneer on the Vs (don't know about the Explorers). I cannot imagine that it would have a huge impact to the overall sound or sustain. Fact is: they are so beautiful! And: my wife allowed both exotic body shapes to move into our appartment :thumbs:

Today I will have a look at the Gibson V Pro 2016 T in winered and a Gibson SG Special 70 Tribute 2016 VS to finally decide wether I cancel the pre-ordered JB Firebird-I or not. And in case I cancel to make a decision about the Korinas "buy new (and skip the Gibsons) or wait for a good used one less in price (and go with one of the Gibsons)".

11. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

of course veneer does not change the sound - but on the edges of the body you can see it pretty clearly how theres a veneer on it and it doesn't look wonderful....

after a lot of thinking the logical step for me would be to get a used gibson studio faded but I already have a wonderful LP so I really want the korina V.

12. hepsen

hepsen Member

I have been to a shop in Munich and played the Gibson V Pro 2016 HP today. The building quality was superb, very nice string action without any buzzes and a raw tone. But I didn't felt comfortable with the neck profile. So I decided to try the SG Special 2016 T. A much more "back-to-basics" guitar. And this one was clearly my favorite from minute one on. I've played it on a HRDIII, a BDRi and a 5150III. I found it very versatile so my decision was made: no Korina Epi at this time and no Bonamassa Firebird-1 Epi. To have another test I got a second SG Special out of the warehouse of the shop for comparison and that was the one I took home.

In the meantime when I was waiting I saw an Epi Brent Hinds V. That neck felt better for my hands comparing to the Gibson V HP neck shape. Also the building quality was much better then I used to know from Epiphone. So I guess that the Korina Limited Edition will be made very well. The veneer wouldn't scare me either. So I will wait and see how they look and feel when they are available and I'm looking forward to your reviews!

13. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

Well i just received my New Epi Flying V, With a cracked head-stock. Ugh. Cracked head-stock aside, Fit and finish The guitar looks really Good, But the guitar feels unbelievable light Kinda surprised me on how light it is. The neck shape is more of a Solid Full 'C" shape with a hint of"D" rather then the"D" they say it is, There is a major problem with this one The bridge is leaning forward right from the factory way forward. The veneers on the front and back look much much better in person then they do in the photo's The rosewood looks good a nice chocolate on this one, The fret edge's are smooth no sharp spots , Im returning it, Im not getting another, I just don't want to deal with the chance that i could get another with the bridge leaning so far forward, Im going to take picture as soon as my battery's charge

14. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

The more i look at it im really disappointed,If it would have came in good unbroken condition i think i would have kept. But the bride would have to be replaced,I was gonna do that anyway. The more i feel the neck I have to say its a hand full of neck no skinny neck here its a chuck.

Attached Files:

15. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

V

Attached Files:

16. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

thats a bummer. she looks great jerry, sad you have to return it. I will get the explorer most likely and it has the traditional stop tailpiece so I hope there wont be any issues with the bridge leaning forward

17. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

Good luck.. I hope all go's well, They really are nice, I just don't want to deal with any issues a second time.

18. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Thanks for the pics ...:thumb:
    Sorry to read yours got broke somewhere along the line ..Looked nice (for what it is) . I've been holding off buying 1 ,so i could read what other who bought 1, thought of it ....

The Bridge (without in hand inspection impossible to know) could possibly be made correct.
    A leaning bridge happens for a few different reasons ,and not always because there is an issue with it .

I don't like the fat neck ,,, you say it has ...
    That's a bigger issue .... for me ... :hmm:
    At these prices ,IMO . Perfect guitars to mod with no worries about losing value . :thumb:

19. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

(The Bridge (without in hand inspection impossible to know) could possibly be made correct. )
    The post looked to be straight as far as i could tell with out digging into it, But the epi bridge on top of it was really loose "the hole assembly" leaned forward I never had this type bridge so im not sure exactly how it works but It's defiantly junk , Again other then that i kinda liked the guitar. This was my first epi ever so at the time i didn't have anything to go off of.

20. Kong

Kong Senior Member

Anyone think the bridge leaning issue could be related to the giant smashing impact that broke the neck?