New Kemper Owner ...

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Stuff, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

In 2012, after many years of frustration and disappointment with digital modelling, I threw it all out (no-one wanted the stuff, even when I tried to give it away!) and went for a nice juicy valve amp for my little home studio. Went through a huge bunch of gear trying to find what worked for me. Settled on a Blackstar HT-100 in the end, and vowed never to go back to digital modelling.

It's a fantastic pedal platform - most of the time. Some pedals - especially MiaB types - are dull and lifeless through it. They all seem to be pedals voiced to go into a DRRI or the like. The clean channel isn't one you'd ever consider recording on its own, and there's only so much pedals can do to overcome that.

In the last 12 months, our little project has simply outgrown what I can get out of the HT-100 alone. We're using more cleans (and more non-Les Pauls!), introducing Americana and Electric Folk kind-of vibes and tones. A second amp - plus the mods required to use it in my home studio - came in around the same price as a second-hand Kemper. And I had no doubt that the Kemper would sound just as good as any amp I chose. Decisions, decisions.

Main thing that swung me in the end is the sheer convenience of the Kemper. There's nothing that needs servicing (hauling 20kg+ heads isn't an option for me, and there's no-one local who services valve amps any more), the size is right (little home studio, I'm not blessed with space), and I can hook it straight up to my Apollo without needing anything else (no need to drop another grand on a Torpedo Studio). It's going to sound consistent year in and year out until it dies or becomes obsolete. For someone like me, it's simply hassle-free.

I'm planning to hang on to the HT-100, and continue to use it. At some point, no doubt I'll profile it and then just use the Kemper for everything. I am curious to hear how pedals + profile hold up against the original rig. Not expecting to get into that until the holiday season comes around at the earliest.

Now I just need to find a cab splitter so that I can run the Kemper into my pair of 1x12s for practice sessions :)

cybermgk likes this.
  2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I'm assuming you mean a Powered Kemper? IF you got a separate power amp (with dual ins and outs), you could just run the 2 main outs, or monitor outs to power amp, each out of that to 2 cabs.

3. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Sounds like a good call for a home studio: maximum flexibility / minimum space taken up!

For running the 1x12s, could you not just wire one of them with a "daisy chain" connection to allow the other to be connected?

4. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

Palmer do a cab routing module that means no rewriting at all of the cabs :)

5. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

Yeah, it's a powered rack unit. A shame they don't support 2 cabs out of the box. It's easy enough to work around though.