New Information About Gibson's Lack of Quality Control

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by edselman, Nov 30, 2017.

1. SoK66

SoK66 Junior Member

I have two Custom Shop Gibsons right now, an '06 '59 VOS and an '09 '59 ES335. BOTH required nut & bridge replacement. The VOS required the bridge post holes be filled and re-drilled so that the intonation could be set properly. The 335 required a fret dressing so that the frets matched the fingerboard radius. Not bad for a combined $7,500, eh? Apparently Henry is in so much financial trouble the production throughput needs to run at warp speed. These kinds of deficiencies are inexcuseable.

2. mgdesigns

mgdesigns Junior Member

I am 65 years old, and back when I first used to shop for guitars I had to try every new Gibson in stock at a large store in Motown, until I found the ONE that felt and played the best. Each one was different. They WERE hand made in K'zoo. Now with the advantage of CNC and PLEK each guitar should look and feel the same, but apparently someone is asleep at the wheel. I have cheap Chinese Squier telecasters that play great out the door. So, my question is this: Does Henry or other Gibson owners care about their reputation for the best guitars made in America enough to get behind their product engineers and production workers to instill a sense of tradition and craftsmanship into their products? If not, then we will be holding a valuable relic in a few years after the doors to the plant are locked permanently. Paintings and artwork usually goes up in value after the artists die.

Come on, Henry. Get your act together, and remake the company the way the buyers want it. Not some fancy, expensive limited editions that no one can afford. Guitars are meant to be played and enjoyed, but new guitarists will gravitate to where they can afford, and it won't be Gibson at this rate.

3. jtees4

jtees4 Senior Member

I agree mostly, but that is exactly what is going on. Many younger folks are gravitating towards Epiphones if they want "real" Lp's.

4. illustry

illustry Junior Member

I learned how to do lacquer repairs and level frets as a result of owning Gibsons. Now, it's not so bad... I just buy those used ones with these problems and fix 'em up!

A guitar with good "bones" such as a Gibson (well they are usually good, that is), is worth the extra work to make it play just how you like and to fix the inconsistencies. Even over time, your new guitar is going to warp/change a little, so you're going to end up with high/low frets.

I encourage anyone to get into the hobby of fret work (and other repair work) to make all your guitars play like a million bucks. Start with some knockoffs and build up your confidence. It's easy once you get the hang of it.

Edit: Not to say we should not expect a higher degree of QC from the company.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 3:57 PM
    endial likes this.
  5. pgodman

pgodman Junior Member

I ordered a 2017 LP Custom - Walnut. The finish and everything about the guitar is absolutely perfect.

6. JRS11

JRS11 Junior Member

It would seem that Epi quality may be better than Gibson at this time. Inferior parts and all.

7. Rorer714

Rorer714 Junior Member

don't be surprised-MF is owned by Guitar Center who's on their last legs so to receive crap from them should be expected. Sweetwater is the way to go.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 4:27 PM
    Macronaut likes this.
  8. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

How is it that a guy (gender assuming I know) can create a MLP account 5 years ago yet makes his first post today . . . and it seems like a Gibson troll post. :hmm:

mudface likes this.
  9. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

Props to SW for S-canning them. Two of the best Custom Shop guitars I've ever owned and will keep for ever came from there and were spot on. I don't have a local shop other than GC to buy from and they rarely have anything I'd call a winner. I guarantee GC doesn't send anything back.

Macronaut likes this.
  10. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

and another took more than 7 years...

must be brothers...

endial, Jymbopalyse and mudface like this.
  11. sssdeluxe

sssdeluxe Junior Member

not paying good people well is a travesty and absolutely affects EVERTHING (bonuses for execs/poop for the roots worker) to do with quality, its not going to work out well if people making "luxury" items have to do it on "quota" ....if I see another gibson 335 with splintered wood at the edge of the f-holes..>!!@*)(!*_&!*....all of them (for years)... (one swipe with some sandpaper before finishing would do it !)

I loved my Rusty Anderson...but seeing those "splintered f holes" .... very disappointing........have zero Gibson's right now.

I personally have moved my interest to custom builders.....still not ensuring it will "be the one", but if you find the right person....you get "love" in the guitar..... its a different experience...one I'm currently digging.....but you have to pay for the privilege ...sometimes less than Gibson ;)

PermissionToLand likes this.
  12. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Interesting how these QC threads are always turning ON so many accounts... :rolleyes: :naughty:

endial, paruwi and mudface like this.
  13. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I'm gonna start a account on a PRS forum wait 5 years to post to tell them they SUCK!

:D

endial and PierM like this.
  14. antikue

antikue Senior Member

Neither of mine (CS 68 reissues) would have made it past any other shop QC, but after some manual labor they are now pretty good. But resale value only ever goes up with these, so all is well :>

15. NiteGoat

NiteGoat Senior Member

I must be one lucky Sonny B. I currently own 4 Gibsons - 1991 SG Special, 2009 Les Paul Traditional, 2012 Les Paul Jr. Special Humbucker, and all are fantastic guitars. I bought them all new, although my 2009 Trad could be considered used, since it sat on "the wall" at GC for 3 years. That guitar obviously has some buckle rash, scratches and dings, which allowed me to get a nice discount. But It played and sounded like a dream. The only other issues with that guitar, are a slight binding ledge on the cutout between the horn and the body, and the routing for the selector switch pocket was slightly too large for the cover. All of my other Gibsons have been 100% flawless, including a 1985 Gibson Flying V which I owned for several years, but regrettably sold in 1995. I have seen some pretty crappy GIbsons though, that I wouldn't even take for free.

16. Stoobz

Stoobz Junior Member

Logging in to see my post count and born on date 8)

17. JMon

JMon Senior Member

Earlier this year I went through three Firebirds before keeping the fourth. It was the best of the bunch but still had micro scratches in the finish from a poor buff out. It was quite unbelievable for a $1500 guitar. The frets on my $1000 2013 Gibson SG are sharper than the ones on my $300 Epi Les Paul. Buy an Epi and upgrade the electrics and for $600 you’ll have a better guitar than the Gibson for a $1K more.

18. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

mudface likes this.
  19. rock40

rock40 Junior Member

20171130_202334.jpg 20171130_202334.jpg 20171130_202334.jpg 20171130_202444.jpg 20171130_213549.jpg
    I just received a

20. rock40

rock40 Junior Member

My blue firebird finish came so flawed that zzsounds gave it to me for 400.00..everywhere on the guitar that had a line it had white undercoat showing..so I ordered a can of Pelham blue touch up paint..I'm happy for the discount but sad to see an icon like Gibson suffer from poor quality..my question was who signed off on this flawed bird