New Information About Gibson's Lack of Quality Control

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by edselman, Nov 30, 2017.

1. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Yeah,...he like them dots brown!...........:laugh2:

I Break Things likes this.
  2. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

Not making any excuses, but comparing Gibson to PRS or Fender is insane.

The price points and construction are very different. Of course you'll get a good PRS, have you seen the prices? Of course fender can make a good guitar for cheaper than Gibson, it's a completely different animal.

A tele/strat should be compared to a special or Junior, not a standard/trad/classic.

Now, with that said, Gibson needs to fix their issues. That means the guitars will cost more, or Gibson makes less. It's simple math.

People will bitch either way, but for Gibson it's better to hear bitching about high prices than low quality imo.

endial likes this.
  3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

currently they have both....

4. budg

budg Senior Member

I havent bought a guitar in 2 years , but since 2010 I purchased 6 Gibsons . The worst of the lot was a 10 335 that I sent back . It had tooling marks all up and down the fretboard including but not limited to file marks and jig marks. A portion of the fretboard was still rough and the binding looked like Stevie Wonder dressed it. The others had minor flaws that were more annoying than anything. Two were flawless . A 13 Traditional and a 12 es335 . I still have the 335 and it will go to my grave with that one.

I have had 8 Fender strats (3 at present) and 4 Martins. Every one of the Fenders and Martins were flawless.

roadhog96 and paruwi like this.
  5. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Now I'm all hot and bothered...
    And I cheat on my taxes after running over homeless people with a horse.
    But I won't be held down by hate.

6. splatter

splatter Senior Member

Not a Gibson hater , I love my V but I wouldn’t buy a new Gibson USA unless it was deeply discounted .
    Way to many other options at better prices .

7. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I don't hate nuthin' but hate itself:D................i spend all my love on money,cars,guitars, and women............so i'm broke!:cool:

8. ivandolz

ivandolz Junior Member

You will not find the flaws I found on high end Gibsons on a SE PRS that costs a fraction of it. Dont get my wrong, I am here because I love Gibson and I have 4 Les Pauls, an SG and a ES-355 Black Beauty... But I also have several PRS and dont have any flaws at all. The CE is cheaper than the les paul, I had an S2 that was flawless (made in the US) and an SE that is perfect. So, that is not an excuse...

The thing is that in Memphis they were proud of how little percentage of the guitars dont pass the quality control and are destroyed, stating that only 3-5% had flaws... And the number is so low... Because they dont pay attention to the flaws. Maybe they have pressure to keep that number low so they tend to "oversee" some defects. I dont know, but it is a problem of the company that has to be solved.

You can even see it on the website. They are not paying attention to the pictures they post. They post inconsistencies, broken guitars, and some that clearly had a bad treatment of photoshop... It is your own website that you use to sell guitars! See it for yourself on the attached pictures that are the ones on Gibson website les paul 1.jpg les paul 2.jpg

9. mudface

mudface Senior Member

:lol:

10. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

If I bought 6 LPs and 3 of them were seriously flawed, I'd never buy another Gibson.

Like I said... I must be tremendously lucky.

Though, the 17" scar on my chest says otherwise. But... I am still alive. So there is that. Hmmm. :hmm:

mudface likes this.
  11. ivandolz

ivandolz Junior Member

Sorry, I did said they were seriosly flawed, but to my standards of such a high priced guitar. The truth is that those flaws weren't serious to play the guitar, just aesthetics.

If I receive a guitar with a broken knob and a loose switchplate, I can tight it myself and change the knob, and the guitar will be perfect. But that is not an excuse, it should have never left the factory with those flaws at that high tag, don't you agree?

If i buy a 3000$ watch and find that the crystal is scratched I will not be happy and excuse the company, why should we do it on guitars?

Nevertheless, I love my Les Pauls and I prefer them to any other guitar in the world, that is why I buy them... But I would prefer them to have a better QC. I think both thoughts are compatible.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  12. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

Ok, I have to call bullsh*t on this comment. Yes you SHOULD compare the quality of equally priced items. I hate PRS. Never found one in any price point that felt right to me. BUT they build perfection. The inexpensive line, produced by WMI in Korea, to the core series, all perfectly setup, finished, and ready to go for people who want them. Gibson can't say that, and hasn't been able to say that for 20 years now.

Fender: of which I hate Fenders more, have the Deluxe series, and the new high end 5K series, ( for a Fender... really?) and, even I, have to admit, they are damn nice guitars. All without the same niggling flaws that Gibby seems to excel at.

Look at the quality that comes out of the Ibanez plants. From the skies opening up and angels singing Fuji Gen Gakki plant, to the lowly Cort plant in China, they are all consistently good guitars. Gibson NEEDS to understand that their QC is a bad joke in the industry, and that this will only hasten their downfall to a company only remembered by older guitarist.

(I have one of their "mistakes" an ES139. Supposedly dropped from the line due to QC issues, it's one of the nicest playing beasts I have ever owned. Afinish issue on the side of the headstock, and the side of the neck just above the pickup, which the aforementioned Stevie Wonder would have caught if he was working on the line, and a bridge that was uncut for groves. How the bloody hell does someone miss that? )

blupp, medic24 and rockstar232007 like this.
  13. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Junior Member

Any guitar that's over $1000 I'd rather play it first. Sweetwater is the only exception when it comes to ordering.

Macronaut likes this.
  14. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Just buy an early 80s MIJ LP for the same price (or less) and be amazed.
    Screw 'Gib$on'.

15. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Junior Member

I got my LP Studio for about $500 because I traded in a few budget guitars. I like a PRS with the wide fat neck but they're a bit more than a LP Studio. I don't play enough to justify a $2k purchase. I went through every Studio model in the store looking for quality in finish. I really didn't want a white with gold finish but it was the only one that would make a sound on the 22nd fret. I also wanted a Studio because I like chunky necks. It took about 2 hours to decide because for some reason I decided to check out an SG and liked it. They also knocked $100 off because they didn't have the case and gave me another case for free. I figure a case with Gibson on it might as well say steal me. So I have my "high end" electric guitar.

The sad thing is higher end guitars are a hard find in smaller Sam Ash and Guitar Centers these day. I was in a GC today and there might have been 6 Gibsons and maybe 6 US Strats.

I Break Things likes this.
  16. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

I can't play well enough, nor do I make money playing, to justify buying a Standard. It's just the Les Paul model that I really want some day. I like to collect things, and that would be a very cool thing to have and pass down.

17. Barry Mattes

Barry Mattes Junior Member

Sweetwater does actually inspect the guitars they sell. I have purchased several guitars from them and was never disappointed.
    I got tired of the high prices for medium quality Gibson instruments. Actually, Gibson's Epiphone division has been making some higher quality guitars for a bargain buck. I just got the Johnny A. Custom and the Lee Malia Explorer Custom, and they play great and sound excellent-and they were well set up. Previously I bought an ES- 339, and it was just as well set up as any of the over 200 guitars I have purchased. If you aren't satisfied with the Gibson guitars you are getting, consider dropping your bias against the Epiphones from the '90's, which were not that good at all. When they first came out, I picked up a Les Paul 100th anniversary model, which is one of my favorite guitars in my collection-every bit as good as any of the 20 or so Gibson Les Paul's I have got since my first-a '57 Les Paul T.V. model, which my dad bought at a pawn shop in Chicago for $60, practice amp, hard shell case and patch cord included in 1966. Unfortunately, I sold it in 1975 for what I figured was a great profit for $400.00. This Epiphone really surprised me-well made, well set up, and sounds great-opened my eyes to the outrageous prices for today's Gibson guitars, which have so little quality control. Some are great-but you really can't order one that you never played. I played a Chinese fake L.P. a guy bought, and it was just about as good as the real one he had just bought for almost $2,000-I was shocked.

18. rick31797

rick31797 Member

Henry needs to bring in Paul reed smith and pay him some big bucks as an adviser to turn this company around..for god sakes the PRS SE model are in better quality then Gibson....

19. rick31797

rick31797 Member

Do you think some workers are sabotaging the company, because of the Henry treatment and the working conditions and the low pay.

endial likes this.
  20. djw171

djw171 Senior Member

Have you seen the 2018 PRS SE range? They have really upped their game on the SE's. Bound fingerboard on some also. Satin necks. Quality is always great.

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/se/se_custom_24_spalted_maple_2018