New Information About Gibson's Lack of Quality Control

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by edselman, Nov 30, 2017.

1. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Yep.

Just like on a $200 Epiphone.

Yet, somehow, those workers are able to do a more consistent job.

And on the back of the headstock, it says final set-up and QC by Gibson, Nashville.

So they're either full of shit, or the Epiphone workers do a better job than the Gibson USA workers.

Shady, either way. Are they incompetent, or are they liars?

Thumpalumpacus and ehb like this.
  2. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Another thing to consider here (and perhaps a bit of a perspective check) is that just maaaaybe... they’ve always been this way (to one degree or another). It could be that in today’s modern world of hyper-connectivity (forums like this, social media, YT, etc.) that we are all able to share our experiences with each other perhaps creating the perception that this is somehow a new phenomenon.

Maybe it’s not.

I’m not saying that things don’t fluctuate and that things aren’t maybe at a bit of dip vis-a-vis QC... but history is replete with stories of Norlin era QC issues (for example). And while some folks like to wax nostalgic about the 90s and early 2000s Gibbys I’ve seen my share of them (and even owned a couple) and really they exhibited many of the same aesthetic issues that people complain so vehemently about today (e.g., slopping binding scraping). Understand, I’m not being a Gibson fanboy (see my post earlier in this thread where I made it clear that you have to shop around to find a “good one”)... but also, maybe, just maybe... we are all complaining (myself included) about something that’s really no so unusual for Gibson... maybe we are all just becoming much more aware of it now that we all more “connected” as a group of like-minded Gibson players/buyers. This doesn’t (and isn’t meant to) excuse Gibson’s QC issues (past or present), just a thought on our present perspective regarding said QC. Or not! :D

3. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

QC's job is to keep watch on production's quality level and maintain the bar.

Pre-QC problems:

If I saw tool marks on a board, I'd bounce to that section and find out why from the actual workers there.
    Training? Bad tools? Lighting? Bench? Whatever it is, fix it. One and done.

Paint issues? Go check. Training? Booth? Lighting? Guns? Air pressure? Fix it. One and done.

It ain't rocket science. Just have to come down out of the tower....

Post QC problems:

If I saw 'post' QC problems.... It's "people time" as in mgt. level people.

That is a mgt issue. Always. Bullshit has become acceptable.

QC should be trained as to go/no-go. They may actually not have been.

Who is watching QC? I think that would be the first question I would ask.

If the answer is nobody, then somebody would need to explain why "nobody" has not been watching and just who "nobody" is SUPPOSED to be and what "Nobody" has been doing up to the point of my come to jeebus meeting that "nobody" is not going to enjoy at all.....

4. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

I agree it's not a new phenomenon.

I've owned so many Gibsons (USA, never CS :( ), and I always end up selling them off, because, as much as I want them to be the guitar of my dreams, they always fall short.

I know I'll keep trying, because I'm forever chasing the first electric guitar I ever played, which was a '57 LP...

modavis99 likes this.
  5. BDW60

BDW60 Senior Member

^^^^^^^^^ Don't buy the next 3 USA guitars, and save that money for a historic. You keep chasing but you're probably running on the wrong track ... :)

6. coupe89

coupe89 Senior Member

7. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

I have always been a firm believer that you get what you pay for. Live in a large city, lot's of guitar retailers, went down a line of Les Pauls hanging on the wall and did a quick visual inspection of each nut, hugely inconsistent findings, some string slots way too deep, some way too shallow, just all over the place, some guitars would obviously have tuning/set-up problems before they were even out the door. However when I looked at the True Historics, Perfection is the word that immediately came to mind. Those string nut's showed that time and effort had gone into them and they were flawless .... higher price seems to equal higher quality .. point being you shouldn't have to pay an astronomical price to get a properly built guitar

I Break Things likes this.
  8. bad565ss

bad565ss Senior Member

i just bought my second 2016 Traditional and I was shocked at how good the set up was.
    Even the nut on this one is properly cut.

lakeburst and 1all's Pub like this.
  9. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Yep, both of my 2016 Trads were perfect out of the box.

10. gnappi

gnappi Senior Member

I've bought two new Gibson gits (A 335 and LP-ES) recently and both were perfect. Last year I bought a LP-ES at a local Sam Ash and after taking it home and setting it up I found that it needed the upper frets dressed as any play past 12 and the string died, an unacceptable flaw so I returned it.

In Semi hollow 335 models beside Gibson I have clones from D'Angelico (EX-DC) , Epi (Sherry), Peerless (hardtail), Eastman (T486), and Ibanez (AS-153), I like and play them all but the bottom line is nothing else is a Gibson 335. The same goes for my other Gibson models, so yes Gibson does have escapes but they are not the ones I am interested in :)

11. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

I was especially shocked with some Memphis production. Overall, biggest POS i have ever had from Gibson, was expensive Wildwood spec!!! 63 ES335 reissue (made in 2015).

From poor finish, poor fret edges, sloppy binding, literally glue splashes under f - holes, rough drilled f-holes and sustain block wood too to high nut and overall bad geometry (too high neck angle and badly positioned ABR). The guitar was not only ugly, but it was unplayable... Most cheap Asian copies are better build. So after this experience i finally ended with new production Gibsons. :dunno:

12. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

I just must get lucky.

Only one I had a real QC issue with, was a Deal of the Day LP Studio/Jr type. Was like $499.

It came, and the fretboard was separated from the neck, at the nut. Could slide a razor blade underneath and through it. We opened it right there in the store, and I returned it right then and there for a full refund. Well, actually I bought another LP. I forget which...

Other than that... I don't see issues, that I don't see on every other brand. That's how I can defend them, because I have not experienced these glaring QC problems others have, out of I really don't know how many? I own 10 now, but I've traded a lot. The ones I traded, weren't QC issues. I just didn't mesh with those guitars. I wish I'd kept that Studio Faded. I look back at pics of it, and want to kick myself. I wanted to make that my banger/project LP.

Biggest complaint I have out of all my Gibsons, is my Explorer. I don't like the pieces of wood they picked for the body. There's a distinct line, I don't like that. But... it's my Explorer, and I just don't care enough. It plays great!

Do I think they should command the price they do? Heck no. But, I don't think many things are worth what people charge for them.

13. SpeedKnob

SpeedKnob Senior Member

My 2014 Traditional came from Sweetwater. No complaints at all.

14. SpeedKnob

SpeedKnob Senior Member

Henry should take his entire company for a factory tour of Martin in Nazareth PA to get some ideas of how it's done right. They would all get free Martin coasters too. :cool:

MSB likes this.
  15. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

I don't have a Gibson. I'm too poor at the moment. Some day, I'd love to get a standard in bourbon burst or sunburst. Les Pauls are the guitars I saw a lot of my favorite musicians playing. It's the guitar I think of when I think of rock and roll. It's an icon.

I play my Strat a lot more than my Epiphone LPC these days. The Epi is great, but the Strat fits my body and hands perfectly, plus I love the clarity of single coils. I still want to get a Gibson Les Paul standard though. Maybe someday.

Axiomatik likes this.
  16. ivandolz

ivandolz Junior Member

From my last 6 Gibsons, 3 had serious flaws. Amazing things like broken knobs on the inside, faults on the binding, switchplate upside down... Even a Custom that had a scratch on the back. I think it is a hit or miss. On the Memphis factory tour they said that only 3% of the guitars are not good and that they have to destroy them... I thought... That they should destroy some more!

Progrocker111 likes this.
  17. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I would find out why three out of a hunnert are bad... And why they made it far enough in the process to be a guitar.

Is (three bad houses out of a hunnert) ok?

Is (three bad turbine engines out of a hunnert) ok?

Parachutes? Hard drives?

One out of a hunnert is not ok.

May happen but it is not ok. One guitar could be someone's overtime or bonus.

18. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

That's not to mention that there are obviously flaws that do not get the guitar destroyed.

I Break Things likes this.
  19. mudface

mudface Senior Member

The biggest flaw i have found on my Custom Shop Historics is the tortoise shell side dot markers, one or two might have a little red but the rest of them are just plain black, i am just sick and sad that none of my historics can have all the side dots with a little color........:dunno:

:rofl:I'm only kidding.............i really couldn't care less about the stupid DOTS.............but some folks can be that ANAL!:D

20. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Uh-oh... That last word there is gonna get @Marshall & Moonshine feeling all frisky...

mudface likes this.