new I bought Frank's XiTone day

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mdubya, Nov 15, 2017.

1. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Oh, I agree. I was just commenting on the concept that using FRFR PA speakers were not in the minds of those that made the Axe, Helix, Kemper, etc. Cause they were. But yes, the Xitone, or Atomic CLR provides that Amp in the room aspect.

AmpedUp and frankv like this.
  2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

No Doubt my friend. And let me also state there is nothing wrong with using small studio speakers. I have done that. But for me, there is nothing like the feeling of a thumping 12 inch or more being driven by a super high end modeler with accurate amp and cab sims at play.

AmpedUp likes this.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Last week, along with my SG, I rescued my 1976 Marshall 2204. I just cleaned it up (it was filthy from sitting for two years) and had a play through. It sounds glorious at the low volumes to which I am limited.

So, of course, that begs the question, how does the AX8 and XiTone stack up to the 2204? Even I was somewhat afraid of the answer. I played them back to back and employed the Bling Treble Booster with both.

The AX8 compared surprisingly well. I used the current JTM45 preset, as is. My JTM45 preset has more gain than the 2204 (non-cascading preamp). On pure tone, the 2204 just has the edge. But it doesn't have the drive from the power amp at this volume. The AX8 can do all the drive in the world at any volume.

So this confirmed for me that I am not missing much, if anything, with the AX8. And with the real thing in the room, I could dial it in even more. Not to mention the 511 other modeling options I have.

I make this statement and comparison not to say one is better or not, but to say that anyone worried about the sound quality can pretty much not worry about that. It is there. The experience is not exactly the same, but the quality of the experience is on par.

One thing for sure, I can make the AX8 quieter than the 2204 and still have the sound quality. The 2204 gets quiet, but not quiet enough to play at night or early morning, in my current living situation.

This is my current setup. I plan on running my Tech 21 British pedal into the QSC in the very near future. Report to follow. This will allow a 3 guitar Christmas jam (with an extra on standby) in a few weeks.

I now transport you back to the 1970's, in my basement home away from home. :p

[​IMG]

ttbit, AmpedUp, frankv and 1 other person like this.
  4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I also rescued my looper pedal this week. I plugged that into the QSC tonight and scrolled through about 15 loops I have saved on it. I played the SG through the AX8 JTM 45 model with the outboard Treble Booster. This is the first time I got to hear the AX8 sitting in anything like a mix. It was foo king awesome. Who could imagine that a digital modeler, a homebuilt pedal, and an SG with P-90's could sound so good together?

Earlier I tried the Tech 21 British Pedal into the QSC and used my 335. Man, great vintage Marshall tones, there is no denying. I bought the pedal because guys here on MLP were talking about leaving their JTM 45's at home and gigging with the Tech 21 British direct to house. It sounds great, too. Another inexpensive, low volume solution to consider for Marshall tones. I played it dry as a bone; guitar > pedal > QSC. What a sound! Is it a real JTM 45? No! But, damn! the tone is there.

matthew bear and frankv like this.
  5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

My point was that there isn't much, if anything, developed specifically with modeling in mind.

The modelers may have been developed with the FRFR PA speakers and studio monitors in mind, but FRFR PA speakers and studio monitors were not developed specifically for use with modelers. They were developed for other purposes. And they do leave something to be desired wrt modeling.

To Line 6's credit, they do offer a monitoring solution specifically for their modelers. Atomic, too.

Fractal develops their models on monitors that go for $10k/ea. :eek2:

Thank goodness for XiTone. $10k/ea. would put me out of the game. :p

6. cybermgk

Not trying to be obtuse, but not sure I agree.

Atomic's entire line was developed for Modelers. Matrix developed amps specifically for modelers. Xitone were made for Modelers. Friedman has cabs designed specifically for Modelers. Mission Engineering has developed multiple modeler speaker cabs. Celestion has a couple of speakers designed for modeler cabs. I THINK Eminence does too (not certain). And then there are the multiple Line 6 cabs. Even Blackstar has created extension cabs for it's Modelers.

mdubya likes this.
  7. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I think his point was more that fractal should develop something that they sell as a companion product.
    I think fractals philosophy is, we'll do what we do best and let the frfr manufacturers do what they do best.

mdubya likes this.
  8. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Jezzz. Looks like we are being invaded by modelers.. hahahah

mdubya likes this.
  9. cybermgk

Ah, and agree.

mdubya likes this.
  10. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

And I think I acknowledged much of that. ;)

On the Fractal forum, they (forum members, not Fractal themselves) are still making excuses for the less than awesome results with FRFR PA monitors.

And, yes, my point was, as a Fractal customer, Fractal should have a plug and play solution for guys like me; whether they market it themselves, or whether they simply endorse something outside of the $10k/ea monitors they use to develop the models.

No matter. I have found a good solution (through Frank!). I am sure there are other excellent solutions out there, too. I just haven't found them and I am not willing to weed through thousands of $$$ worth of gear to find them.

At nearly $600, the QSC was a let down; not bad, but not what I was hoping for.

Others have found great joy with the QSC. Maybe it is just me? :dunno:

Once bitten, twice shy. I was interested in, but afraid to try most of the options you listed.

frankv likes this.
  11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I finally got a chance to run the XiTone and the QSC in stereo. Very interesting. It almost seems like having two different sounding unit might be a better solution. The spectrum of tones is truly filled out between the two.

I love the simple setup of just me and a guitar and a single speaker. But there is no arguing with how good the stereo setup sounds.

FWIW-I did a lot of experimenting with the XiTone. I really like the sounds with just the 12" driver, no flat response. But I decided I would get better results with both drivers and frfr engaged.

It seems like the XiTone is a similar setup to the Mission Gemini with the tweeter behind the 12" driver and being able to mic the speaker like it is a regular guitar speaker.

I need to get a tripod for my cell phone so I can make some decent demos.

frankv likes this.
  12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Frank just out of interest have you used or heard the Greenboy / Fearless Cabs?

I know Liam has but he has not use the XiTone.

The issue here is we really only have QSC & Atomic as options. QSC works but no one likes Atomic.

Cheers, Rudi

mdubya and frankv like this.
  13. frankv

Yeah I hear ya on the Atomic. Very brittle in the high end at times. Especially when sitting near it.

I have not heard Greenboy/ Fearless Cabs. I have been pretty much in the XiTone camp for quite some time now and still have not been disappointed. I ran 2 in stereo and it was awesome.

mdubya and RAG7890 like this.
  14. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

alstev and frankv like this.
  15. frankv

mdubya likes this.
  16. cybermgk

I don't think the Atomics were any more brittle than most single speaker guitar cabs. I've had so many Combos that were as shrill and 'brittle' when you were right in line with the center of the cone.

frankv likes this.
  17. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I really appreciate this thread.... I have had so many questions about the various options available and it seems quite hard to get info since everything is FRFR (meaning they should all sound essentially the same). I have had zero issues with my QSC at home, but it's quite different with the band and other traditional amps in the room... I suspect it's the open back of the amps Vs my PA speaker. I can "beam" my sound across the room but I can't fill the room (like the other guitars open back amp). I do often wonder about the Mbritt xitone for rehearsal :hmm: it's all quite confusing, since rooms and situations vary so much!

Michael, any chance we could hear an AB of the QSC and the xitone? you'd be doing me a huge service personally, as I don't understand what I'm missing :laugh2:

AmpedUp, mdubya and jdto like this.
  18. frankv

If you want a true amp in room accurate tone.. Do what I recommended months ago. Get a XiTone.. It really is just that simple. Many have a hard time believing me but it is true. There are plenty of guys here now that have XiTone and the reviews are always great.

What you are looking at with a Xitone is a FRFR speaker system with a 12 inch speaker in a traditional speaker cabinet built like a tank.

AmpedUp, mdubya, saks and 1 other person like this.
  19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Matt-I will come up with something soon. FWIW-I went back to running the QSC with all settings flat before buying Frank's XiTone. I think it might sound better to me if it was on a pole.

When Frank offered me his XiTone, I had to take the chance. It is definitely a more natural sounding unit, to me. The proverbial "like removing a blanket" in comparison to the QSC.

I am running the XiTone as a wedge. I set it upright and it sounds different that way. It is interesting how all of this devices sound different depending on how they are positioned.

Are you using the QSC's on poles at band practice? I would definitely try that if you aren't. Then you can have one as your direct monitor and one for the rest of the band as a monitor.

AmpedUp, matthew bear and frankv like this.
  20. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I don't currently have a pole, but it's worth a try. The frustrating part for me is being too quiet, turning up, and then being too loud :laugh2: It's as if my band members ears are just used to open back sound...

The irony is, now that I've been doing the modeling thing for a while, I find the open back amps to be muddy, loud and inarticulate! :laugh2: I literally just don't enjoy my amps anymore, sadly.

mdubya and AmpedUp like this.