new I bought Frank's XiTone day

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mdubya, Nov 15, 2017.

1. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

“Get a freaking XiTone and be done with it.” @frankv, you should be in marketing, brother. Mick @XiToneCabs should use that as a slogan.

AmpedUp, mdubya and frankv like this.
  2. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

For myself, I wasn't ready to make the commitment $$$ wise to the XiTone. I went to GC to get a Alto TS212. I still haven't tried one. The salesman talked me into the QSC and gave me a deal I couldn't turn down.

By all accounts, the QSC should be great, but my unhappiness has been pretty well documented.

Other ups and downs have distracted me from making a change.

Bottom line: plugging in to the XiTone is what I hoped to hear from the get go. It actually exceeds expectations, mostly because I just plain did not expect it to sound as good as I hoped.

Here are a couple more demos showing how "guitar cabinet" like they sound vs standard powered monitor.

For the most part, the XiTone just sounds like an amp through a guitar cabinet, which is what I am looking for.

AmpedUp, jdto and frankv like this.
  3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I am in marketing.. hahahaha. Well, sales.. but that's marketing.

Look. This is very very simple. All throughout the entire rock and roll history guitars were played through a collection of 12 inch speakers.. So why is it that when this modeling stuff comes around guys think they are going to be satisfied with a 6 or 8 inch speaker. Then when I bring it up and say that.. What do I get? I get "i'm happy with what I have". Good grief.. hahahaha

AmpedUp, jdto, Brewdude and 1 other person like this.
  4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

And MOST importantly.. I am happy YOU are happy Mike. There is always a risk in recommending anything.. Right.. But usually if I am making a recommendation. It's kinda gonna be good.

AmpedUp, jdto and mdubya like this.
  5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

To be fair, my lowly Fender Mustang 1 sounded fine through its 8" speaker. The Fender and Vox models sounded better than any $100 modeler had a right to sound. Through headphones, it was nothing short of amazing.

What I think is, we are playing through stuff that was designed for other purposes. The XiTone seems like it is designed with authentic modeling, at least partially, in mind, if not entirely. Fractal would do themselves a favor, for live tone, anyway, if they marketed something like the XiTone as a plug and play option. Instead, they offer...nothing. We are left to figure it out for ourselves.

6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Never doubted you for a minute. Just needed to put up my $$$! :thumb:

7. frankv

Thats why we hang out here brother... :)

mdubya, AmpedUp and jdto like this.
  8. frankv

The Fender Mustang has changed the way guitar players amplify their guitars. It IS the best selling amp of ALL TIME.

The trends are in and have been in for some time now. And you know what that is. I won't say it cause someone will report me... hahahahah

AmpedUp, jdto and mdubya like this.
  9. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

I hear you, brother. I’m a marketer, myself.

frankv and mdubya like this.
  10. frankv

:applause::headbanger:
    We are all in marketing. It's just that some are better then others at it. We are either marketing a product, service, brown-nosing a boss or we are marketing ourselves. But we are all marketers.

I love when people say they hate sales people...The fact of the matter is everyone is in sales. Perhaps a toll collector might not be but then again, when layoffs come he had better have been selling himself to the boss.

mdubya, AmpedUp and jdto like this.
  11. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

His reaction in that video is spot on. It says a lot that he was "happy enough" with his previous solution. But playing the XiTone impacted him in a significant way.

AmpedUp and jdto like this.
  12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Last night, I got a minute to really sit down and play for the first time all week. I thought I would have a quick play through, then hit the sack.

Having my old SG back in the rotation has been a surprising inspiration, and it mates with the AX8 and the XiTone perfectly.

I started on Bank 1 and began scrolling through presets since I feel like I am hearing some of them for the first time all over again with the XiTone. Next thing I know, I have played through 4, 5, 6 presets per bank and I am up to the JTM45, preset 3 on Bank 9. And it was 3 hours later and well past midnight! :shock:

AmpedUp, frankv and jdto like this.
  13. frankv

Mike. I know brother I know. It is this exact situation that has supercharged my playing over the last 2 years. i want from liking to play to being obsessed with playing. I can remember having some pretty good tube amps and playing for what really was only just 20 minutes of so and then getting tired. Now, with AXE FX and all the tones available with rediculouly awesome sound quality I play all the time. Just like you are doing now. I have been at it all day so far.. with a short Starbucks run... I have been recording backing tracks. Been messing with a B Lydian track that I finally got a melody for.. I can post up the David Walliman backing track if you would like to take a crack at it.. Let me know. We can play here in this thread

It only gets better brother...

AmpedUp, mdubya and jdto like this.
  14. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

[​IMG]

:eek2:

:lol:

I am working today. And looking forward to my bed, but might be up for it tomorrow. It's been a busy week, which is a good thing. But doesn't leave much time for guitar picking. That is why last night was such a surprise. It was great. Worth missing a few hours of sleep. :thumb:

AmpedUp and frankv like this.
  15. frankv

Yep. There ya go... B major 4th scale degree Mode.

mdubya likes this.
  16. frankv

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    mdubya and jdto like this.
  17. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

It looks like what I used to play when I was drinking. :p

frankv likes this.
  18. frankv

Yeah, I know. It eases the pain.. hahahahah

mdubya likes this.
  19. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yes and no, imho. Axe, particularly Helix, and even Kemper were made with FOH in mind. So, these options people use, QSCs, Yamahas etc will actually represent that same sound.

In the studio, Monitors were in mind, as that is how we would normally listen, and thus tweak, etc to make sound good.

mdubya likes this.
  20. frankv

Well Tim, of course you are correct. FOH is a big part of the touring attraction these machines have.. That said, it is often stated that players miss the "in the room' amp feeling a guitar cabinet brings. This is what the FRFR XiTone restores. It brings back the amp in room experience that studio monitors just can't do. I know I hated my studio monitors. Near fields such unless you sit just right.

Of course you know all this but so I write this for others to see and understand. :)

AmpedUp and mdubya like this.