new I bought Frank's XiTone day

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mdubya, Nov 15, 2017.

1. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Thanks to Frank on the easy, trouble free deal. :thumb:

The powered XiTone arrived late yesterday afternoon in the middle of what is a busy several days for me. Still, I was able to unbox it, plug in, and give it a quick play through.

Initial impressions were very favorable with nice, clear, uncolored tones singing through.

After not enough sleep and as much caffeine as I could consume in a short burst this AM, I had another play through. Initial impressions are reinforced. Bright clear tones, with none of the muffled, bassy problems I was wrestling with on the QSC.

In fairness, I just about had the QSC sorted out, but the XiTone is clearer, especially at the low volumes I tend to play.

I am going to experiment with a stereo setup with the XT and the QSC.

I will need some sleep, bit I will try to get some sound clips up in the near future. :jam:

[​IMG]

ttbit, RichBrew, RAG7890 and 8 others like this.
  2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

The thing is built like a tank isn't it.. Now you know why I always recommend XItone whenever FRFR's come up. I have had 5 of these units over the years. I still have one i play through every day. I just didn't need a stereo setup in my tiny office. I am glad you took me up on the offer and saved a boatload of cash.

You enjoy that Mike.

ttbit, RAG7890, saks and 4 others like this.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Built like a tank and it is like brand new, also.

AmpedUp and frankv like this.
  4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

It's only months old and has never left my office. I just recently threw out the original box thinking I would never down size my cabinets.

jdto, AmpedUp and mdubya like this.
  5. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I'm thinking before to long there won't be anyone on this forum who doesn't own something if Frank's. Lol

Sp8ctre, saks, KenG and 3 others like this.
  6. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

This told me that it can't really be put into not new condition with the way "I'm using it", unless liquids are spilled into it or something crazy like that! Ha!
    It sounds cab like and you'll have to pry this from my cold dead hands.

saks, mdubya and frankv like this.
  7. frankv

That is incredible. If i did that to one of my CLRs it would be in 10 pieces... Of course you would never encounter something like this happening in real life.. But it is nice to know how good XiTones are built

Yes, and even you Mikey... has gotten a few things from this nut..

Mike. I wanted to remind you of the modes.

Electronics packages are as follows and come on all cabinets.
    MODE 1 FRFR (One flashing light)
    MODE 2 FRFR with 12" only no tweeter (Two flashing lights)
    MODE 3 12" driver RAW. No tweeter or crossover. (Three flashing lights)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2017
  8. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Congratulations. I love my XiTone 12" wedge.

mdubya, AmpedUp and frankv like this.
  9. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

1. Frank's opinion is trustworthy on the things he endorses
    2. Frank's reputation as a seller is unblemished. It is nice to enter a transaction with no concerns regarding the seller.
    3. my only slight concern was: for all the XiTones here on MLP, people weren't raving from the rooftops about them. No badmouthing, but very reserved commentary.
    4. You never see any for sale, used.
    I had some regrets about the QSC from day 1. I should have returned it right away. No regrets with the XiTone.

saks, AmpedUp, frankv and 1 other person like this.
  10. frankv

Thanks Mike. I try...

Regarding the reviews. Mostly what you see is based on the fact that usually guys are playing through something that is so colored and so out of whack regarding FRFR performance that they get use to that. Then when they actually play through a flat, full range speaker cabinet like what modelers are designed for they are pretty much shocked and need to readjust to it. Then after awhile they soon realize Hey, this shit sounds awesome. This is what I have experienced myself when I first got into this stuff.

AmpedUp and mdubya like this.
  11. frankv

I want to comment about about the construction of XiTones. I got a Atomic CLR cabinet once. It was packed pretty damn good and even included a padded case over the entire cabinet. I want to show you how I got the cabinet. There was no damage on the shipping package.

This is crap when it comes to using stuff on the road in and out of vans and into venues. I kept the cabinet because I could fix it.. But the point is they (Atomic) are no where near as bulletproof as XiTones are.

This HEAVY horn driver is held onto the frame of the cabinet with tiny Phillips head screws. No washers. Just a screw through plastic. I don't have to tell you how much abuse this will be able to take.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unbelievable if you ask me... Just look at it. That should never happen on a cabinet that costs $1000

AmpedUp and mdubya like this.
  12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

When you consider that you can get a semi vintage Marshall 4x12 with 4 speakers with individual value and serious ply construction for the cab for that kind of $$$....

Speaker cabs of any kind are tough though. If they are any good, they usually weigh a ton and therefore cost more than they are worth to ship.

AmpedUp and frankv like this.
  13. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

mdubya, first, congrats.
    Yes, I could jump up and down and praise the XiTone till I'm blue in the face, but, in the end, it seems that most folks play through what they think or feel they can get away with for the time being, until they finally take the plunge. And I've been playing lots more overall. Less posting, reading, just playing.

I enjoyed watching Pops journey and a few others as they kept looking for a little bit better, till they hit the top tier and settled in just fine at that point. Really cool. Now you. Wonderful.

I'm not deserving of an upper class like the Fractal or Kemper. I'm not that good of a player, but totally enjoy the quality and stopped at where I felt it was "good enough for me". The Amplifire and Ampli-Firebox are just killing it for me.

I used a bunch of different methods here at home. Multiple rack amps, home stereo amps, into the effects return of tube amps, etc..., and some sounded better than others. Same with cabs, speakers, monitors, etc....

The XiTone/Matrix wedge is the most clear, most responsive, most like playing through the 5 various tube amps and cabs that it sits in the room with. A little bit of high and low cut was all that was necessary. Totally killer experience.

My cheap Teac 60 wpc studio monitor desktop type speakers sound every bit as good as the XiTone but in stereo, for the very super low volume through a Crown D75 rackmount amp for the very in your face near field experience, where it's such low volume as when the guitar strings are totally audible while playing and even lower. Then from slightly louder to max all out loudness, the XiTone takes over.

Frankv is right, if one has the option to wait for the turnaround time to have it built, then by all means, do it. I'm glad I made the decision. Even brought out better tone from my older GSP1101. More clarity and depth from it. Have fun with it. I sure am.

Pop1655, saks, mdubya and 1 other person like this.
  14. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

I also like that the XiTone tweeter is screwed into the back of the magnet mount of the main driver. Seems more stable than on brackets like the Atomic. I'm thinking with the XiTone, I've bought the only FRFR I'll ever need from here on out.

mdubya likes this.
  15. saks

saks Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

congrats! I love my xitones. Count me in as having something of franks.

frankv, mdubya and AmpedUp like this.
  16. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Well just go ahead and step on up to the plate boy!
    Good for you bud. Congrats!

mdubya, saks, AmpedUp and 1 other person like this.
  17. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Congrats man! You just took your tone to a whole new level!

mdubya, saks, AmpedUp and 1 other person like this.
  18. frankv

I don't even think I had that speaker broken in yet.. They are fabulous low volume systems.

mdubya, saks and AmpedUp like this.
  19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Every model I have tried so far sounds significantly better through the XiTone.

I brought my SG Classic and my Fender Champ to my home away from home yesterday. The Classic and the Champ sound great together. But I wanted to know how the Classic would sound with the AX8/XiTone rig. Well, in a word, Glorious! The SG is such a good (way underrated!) guitar. And through the AX8/Xitone...!!!111! fuhhhhh!!! Just awesome. I was playing through the 1959 SLP, the Top Boost, The Badger 18!!!!, and the Deluxe Reverb, just since last night. Everything sounds how the AX8 sounded to me through headphones on the first day. Just amazingly good.

The Deluxe Reverb model is one I had kind of avoided recently. It just wasn't doing the business through the QSC. No problems through the XiTone. With the virtual volume cranked, ACB's School's Out and Eighteen sound so good. Even AC/DC rhythms and all that The Who Live at Leeds stuff I play wrong sound so, so good.

Pretty much all the stuff I complained about (apologies for the whinging :oops: ) with the QSC are cleared up by the XiTone.

David W's reaction says it all

RAG7890, pnuggett, AmpedUp and 2 others like this.
  20. frankv

Ha, Ya know Mike. I watch guys on this forum struggle and struggle with this speaker and that.. Always resisting the obvious.. Get a freaking XiTone and be done with it. i don't know what it is really . Either they really don't believe me when I say it... Or it's the money. But that is what is most puzzling. The money wasted on all the other "stuff" they buy.. just get a freaking Xitone already. I have had 5 of them AND all the different Atomic CLRS as well... Let me say it again. Get a freaking Xitone and be done with it.. Of course.. If the ultimate tone quality is not your game.. Carry on.

BTW. David is my guitar teacher. Love the guy.. He has his own XiTone Mick made him called the Walliman. Basically what you have there from me.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    RAG7890, AmpedUp, jdto and 1 other person like this.