New Helix LT Day!:)

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by CaptainT, Dec 18, 2017.

1. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Hey guys,

I am back home now with my new Helix LT.

First impression is really good, but I have to say that the Headrush interface was a thousand times better (at least fo me). However, I really dig the tone, even the standard presets are not totally useless:)

Right now I am updating the fiirmware and installing my custom IRs. Then I´ll be trying to dial in some tones and make some soundfiles.

I am pretty happy with it, it came around 300.- Euros cheaper than the Headrush, but has more options and more power. I already tried some multiple amp settings and they worked flawlessly:)

Here´s a pic together with my new TS Alto TS 212. I made this picture in my old room at my parents house, where I lived till 20 years ago. I just recognized that the carpet must be from somewhere in the 80s. It´s colour is really intense XD

Helix LT.jpg

Cheers,

Thorsten

2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Copy this post and start a Helix LT thread like you did with the Headrush. Document your experiences for others to follow and consider

3. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Sweet! You can't go wrong with the Helix. Once again, on Saturday night, I had no less than 6 guitarists come up to me after our set and GRILL me on my use of the Helix - again stating that my tone was KILLER, and adding the now typical response:

"Dude, that's a Line 6???? Those things SUCK!!!!"

To which I always say,

"Clearly not dude. You heard it. You saw me jamming through it. Was it good?"

"OH YEAH, TOTALLY!!! Just saying Line 6 makes crappy stuff."

It always goes that way for a couple minutes until the REAL questions start.

Enjoy, man!!!!

4. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Ha. That's pretty much my experience too. Yet my HD500 is a fantastic piece of kit, and the Helix in the cupboard awaiting the 25th Dec is an even fantastic-er piece of kit. The 'problem' with the HD is that too many people can't figure out how to use it properly to get good tones, then blame the device instead of themselves. And the meme spreads: 'Line 6 is crap'. No it isn't :)

mdubya and CaptainT like this.
  5. BBD

BBD Senior Member

And soon, you will be a happy bunny.

CaptainT likes this.
  6. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

About a year I ago, I started using a POD HD500X with my jam buddies. Within a month or so, our lead guitarist bought a HD500X as well and we've both used nothing but the POD's direct to PA for the past year.

Now he's gone and bought a Helix and I am very seriously considering a Helix LT as a better fit for me the the original Helix. I've compared the IO's and the LT has about the same as the HD500X and I've yet to need anything more.

The scribble strips are cool but the LT just moves them to the main screen and with my eyes, I have to rely on color coding and consistent pedal arrangements anyway so the lack of the strips is not huge for me.

Even tone wise I wouldn't expect to be overwhelmed with the improvement. I've watched the videos and what strikes me as the biggest advantage is they have made the Helix even more like an analog board in terms of the interface. Assign a pedal to a stomp button, touch that button and you have direct access to all the parameters of the pedal. No more scrolling through each one separately. That alone will greatly reduce the amount of time you spend dialing in each pedal.

Since the current sale runs through the first of the year, I plan to buy after Christmas while I hope the tube amp I have for sale sells. If not, I'll trade it and some other gear and will use the rebate towards the backpack.

Pop1655, mdubya, frankv and 1 other person like this.
  7. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

I just discovered that my parents PC runs with Win Vista. Helix edit requires Win 7, so I´ll have to wait with updating and running custom IRs XD

mmd likes this.
  8. BBD

BBD Senior Member

You should gently remind your parents that dear, dear Microsoft stopped support for Vista in April of this year. That means no more security patches or upgrades. They really should consider moving to W10. (I do not work for Microsoft and have no vested or indirect interest in it).

CaptainT likes this.
  9. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

Actually that's what I did one hour ago. XD

We are going to get a new PC for them tomorrow, they were using my 10 year old Gaming PC ;)

Thx for the heads up!

BBD likes this.
  10. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

It was the lowly HD300 that my friends band plays that converted me. They simply are not suppose to sound any good.. Yet by some stroke of magic.. They actually do.. Go figure. :run::run:

And it's no surprise that when someone wants to try this technology.. I always recommend the low cost HD300 as the try out unit before investing big bucks

mmd, mdubya and BBD like this.
  11. BBD

BBD Senior Member

That's the spirit :). Don't forget to whip the HDD(s) out of the old one before you take it to the recycling depot. Can't be too careful.

frankv and CaptainT like this.
  12. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Congrats! Right now my priority is renegotiating my mortgage (3 more years and the house is ours). Hopefully later in 2018 I will be able to get an LT as well!

frankv and CaptainT like this.
  13. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

Congrats! I'm extremely pleased with my helix. It's quite easy to navigate and I'm sure you'll be used to it in no time. I thought it would be more complex than the kemper, but in fact I think it's easier(and sounds great as well!).

14. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

Congrats! Welcome to the LT club. :cool2:

CaptainT likes this.
  15. madmusicltd

madmusicltd Senior Member

I have the Helix Floorboard too, I've had mine now about two weeks, even used it for a gig already, it certainly draws attention to the guitar players in the room. It is everything thing that all the rave reviews say it is (part of the reason I felt confident purchasing it), and no buyers remorse as it was a bit pricey... I do recommend putting it on a music stand or table top in the beginning (so you don't have to keep bending down to the floor), I also did my editing in tandem with the computer editor (not really needed).
    20171217_221815.jpg
    I am also very happy with my inexpensive powered FRFR speaker, I use a JBL EON610 1000W wedge and it sounds great! (as well as running it through my studio monitors)
    20171217_221758.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    mdubya, Pop1655, matthew bear and 6 others like this.
  16. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

Ditto on keeping whatever floor unit you have on a stand or desktop while you create your signal flows and get them close to where you want them. No use getting dizzy while you build your basic rigs. Dialing them in once you are in the ball park won't have you upside down too long.

My Pod is on my workstation desk right now as I've been experimenting with some new rig configurations. I hit the DSP limit trying to build a jumpered Plexi rig, including the pedals I'd use on my analog board. I can have the two amps and a pedal or two but not all I'd like to have access to. See, I'm building the rationalization case to upgrade to a Helix LT step by step. lol

madmusicltd and frankv like this.
  17. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

So, my parents now have a new PC and I was able to update the Firmware and get my custom IRs and the Delaune Patches on it...so nice:)

Buying and installing everything on my parents´PC took me around 8 hours, now I am pretty exhausted:) I just tested the Helix with the IRs and Glen´s Patches and it really sounds awesome. I am pretty happy right now, but too exhausted to play guitar XD

Gonna grab me a Coke, a bucket of ice cream and watch a movie (King Arthur) Maybe I´ll be playing a little bit later:)

Cheers guys,

Thorsten

mmd and KenG like this.
  18. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

Thanks for taking the time CaptianT !!!

I enjoyed watching you grow thru the Headrush to the LT.

CaptainT likes this.
  19. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

I just created a Drive test patch with all the different Helix drives and ran this into the front of my Bassbreaker 18/30. It sounds truly amazing, I am totally floored how good those drives sound. I am truly impressed.
    I further programmed the Helix to switch the amp channels, which is a great feature.
    Bassbreaker and Helix work great together, it is a nice alternative to run it like this without amp and cab sims when playing live.
    So many great tones in that device, what a good buy:)

mdubya, Pop1655 and mmd like this.
  20. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Oh, heck yeah!!! GREAT tones and a GREAT buy, lol. I have said it MANY times - the Helix is probably the BEST gear purchase I have ever made. It literally killed amp GAS, cleared out a TON of amps that I held on to for "just in case" moments, made my stage sound clearer and better, my load-in/set-up/tear down time almost zero (well, about 6 minutes)....like a few things in my life - Cadillacs, PRS, ProTools, my wife - there has been NO looking back!!! I wish you MANY hours - no years - of satisfaction with the Helix.