New guitar days: EVH Striped Yellow

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Hector Arcadius, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Hey all,

just a thread to celebrate my new and totally '80s-inspired superstrat:

[​IMG]

I recently sold my only Strat, which I practically used an introduction to the world of Strats, trying to find out the things that worked for me and those that didn't. The light and full of curves body was perfectly fine, but the ergonomics were not: I didn't bond with the 3 single coil pickups (give me humbuckers any day), the position of the volume knob, the bridge (yack!), the pickguard. So, for the next guitar I wanted to keep the shape of the Strat body, but I decided I wanted it back-routed, volume control out of the way, just a bridge humbucker would be enough (I have my Les Paul for fantastic neck pickup tones, thank you) and it was time for me to enter the world of Floyd Rose. Oh, and the paint-job / color HAD to be totally '80s. So, although I am not a massive EVH fan (he is amazing, don't get me wrong, just not an EVH fan-boy, despite what impression the guitar gives), this one ticked all the boxes.

Impressions so far:

• The neck is fantastic in feel, although not as beefy as I like them. Not a major issue, I get around that.
    • The simple ergonomics / layout works great for me.
    • The Floyd Rose is simply amazing and it's rocking my world. Wow. It's "dive-only", just the way I use it for. It's totally stable, it gives me absolute control to what I want to do and it's a very expressive tool. Totally love it so far.
    • The pickup is too compressed. Which makes it sound really nice and balanced on the cleans but... when it comes to dirt, in moderate Marshall-levels of dirt it sounds really nice, but with anything over that it sounds... too boxy. I can see an upgrade in my future...
    • The volume control is very nice and, against my expectations, clarity and high end are maintained when rolling it back. And it does so gradually. A welcomed surprise.

To summarise everything, this one looks so far as a keeper. It compliments my other 2 electrics perfectly (Les Paul & Tele) and although I could see me upgrading the pickup in the future, I have absolutely zero other complains.

Did I mention it looks bad-ass, too...? :D

bossaddict, joff, acstorfer and 9 others like this.
  2. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

congrats on the new axe

:applause::thumb::applause:

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  4. Custom53

Custom53 Senior Member

Sweet... I just bought one a few months ago... 006.JPG

But my favorite EVH guitar is my first year EBMM EVH...

'91 EVH.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    joff and Hector Arcadius like this.
  5. Dutchy5150

Dutchy5150 Senior Member

I've got a couple of EVH Striped Guitars too, including the Bee. Awesome guitars...

Congrats.

6. Hector Arcadius

Thanks boys!

I don't often see threads about them. I don't know if they are a well-kept secret or if people take them for granted. For example, the new Charvels, which come from the same factory (and are practically same guitars with an extra pickup and cosmetic differences - especially the back-routed ones) seem to have drawn much more attention.

Dutchy5150 likes this.
  7. Dutchy5150

Dutchy5150 Senior Member

I've got a few of the Charvel's too and they're awesome too, but as I'm a massive EVH head, you got to have some stripes in your life..

You can not go wrong we either guitars...

8. armycopter

armycopter Senior Member

Congratulations, I have given serious thought to that guitar many times over the years.

9. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher

I'm very surprised that they don't have a non-striped version of that guitar in the line . I might consider one then

1 pickup . one volume . that's the way to go :thumb: . Congrats . I'm sure you'll enjoy it

if you want something that works clean to dirty . I can suggest the TV Jones T-Armond . I put a set in my hollow body __ and just ordered two more sets for other guitars . played thru a Wampler Pinnacle . guaranteed brown sound goodness

10. Hector Arcadius

Tonight I had my first one-on-one with the Floyd Rose. Not only restringing, but I went from the 9s that were stock, to 11s. And those familiar with the FR know that this means that you also have to unscrew the back and make adjustments on the tension of the springs. Well, it did take me a while, but everything went fine, the FR sits parallel to the body exactly as it should, everything in tune and ready to go.

It's amazing, I think, how much we overlook the effect of the strings to the sound. Not only the fact that a new set of strings will always make everything sound better, but IMO also the gauge of the strings and the quality of them play an important role too.

The pickup sounds more clear and articulate now, not necessarily brighter, but certainly with less bottom end. Which made small difference in the clean sounds, but a big one on the more gainy sounds. I even found that the roll-off of the volume knob is more gradual now.

Anyway, yeah, I'm loving this guitar even more tonight! It feels like a long-time keeper.

acstorfer likes this.
  11. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Restringing: putting the ball ends of the strings through the tuning machines (on the headstock) speeds up restringing time on the FR. (if you didn't know this already).

Congrats on the new guitar!

12. FKO

FKO Senior Member

Switching from 9s to 11s. You might need to do some truss rod adjustment in a day or two.

13. joff

joff Senior Member

I've got the B/W EVH Striped Series prototype which was used at 2013 NAMM and 2013 Musikfest...i bought it from a Fender UK tech who had added a coil split which works a real treat. :)

[​IMG]

14. Hector Arcadius

This is very cool!

15. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

I love that guitar but never got one for fear of other peoples expectation when I pick it up...:Ohno:

16. joff

joff Senior Member

[​IMG]

17. Hector Arcadius

Nah, don't let that stop you. I don't know a single EVH tune in guitar (I intend to learn a couple, though) but I don't care.