New gig - Performing Arts Center

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Freddy G, Dec 9, 2016.

1. wulfman

wulfman ABB Fan Premium Member

Great story Freddy, and involving one of my favourite bands. Thanks for sharing!

2. yeti

yeti Senior Member

C'mon, Freddy, you can play and mix FOH simultaneously. I saw Peter Yarrow do it once in the analog days, no tablet, just yelling out commands ("125 Hz down 1.75 dB") to the poor fella at the soundboard. It was hilarious.

3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

1.75db
    :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Just came back from the Performing Arts Centre.

We set up and did sound check today for tomorrow's show. Oh boy I'm stoked!
    My Hiwatt sounded like heaven in that room!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Super thread Fred! thanks for sharing your experiences.
    But ya didn't need to bring up Hi-Watt,, just started kicking myself all over again, sold mine long ago.

6. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Thanks Len :)

I really regret selling the three Marshalls I've had over the years. I will never again sell a piece of gear unless I hate it!

7. redking

redking Senior Member

Love that Los Lobos story!!! I'd love to see those guys up close in a smaller venue.

8. redking

redking Senior Member

You must have some great stories from being a fly on the wall during Jeff Healey sessions I would think too!!!

9. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Jeff was a great musician and a really cool guy to hang with.

When he was recording the album "Feel This" in Toronto, I was his guitar tech in the studio, which was actually a mansion just a couple of blocks north of Casaloma.

So this house was turned into a recording space. When you walked in to the front foyer it was all marble floor and there was a spiral staircase that went up three floors. The drums were placed at the main floor by the staircase and they placed mics all the way up the staircase for different levels of ambience. Very John Bonham-ish.

I had a room where I set-up and took care of a forest of guitars for Jeff. I brought my little Gibson Scout amp for my test amp. Jeff walked in one day when I was playing and said "wow, I love the sound of that amp, can I use it to record?"

Of course I said yes. And then he asked "what guitar is that?"
    I told him it was a superstrat style guitar I built. It was the first guitar I ever built from scratch...well he asked to use that guitar as well and he used it for a lot of the record.

Back to the amp.....the way the producer (Joe Hardy) and engineer (Rich Chycki) decided to use the amp was super cool. There was a dumb waiter in the house that spanned four floors. They placed my amp inside at the bottom of the elevator shaft and attached a Neumann mic to the bottom of the dumb waiter. If they wanted more reverb they sent the dumb waiter up a floor or two.....:D

10. redking

redking Senior Member

That's awesome and very creative! I feel like Jeff was under-appreciated in the music business in general, and now that he's gone, I regret not appreciating him more myself. Did you work with him as he was bringing Philip Sayce under his wing too, or was that later?

11. redking

redking Senior Member

I always wondered... did he play super heavy strings since he had the strength of his whole hand on top of the fretboard to make chords and bend?

12. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Sayce was later, I was with Jeff in the early 90s. At that time it was Amanda Marshall that was always around...she was on Jeff's label.

13. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

DR 10-50 strings.

14. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Some pics from the gig:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

More about the Gig please! :D

Hopefully some videos have been posted somewhere! :fingersx:

16. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

It was a nice gig, great pay! We played one song! A cover of "Everything I do" by Bryan Adams.

The gig was all about Niagara's bid to host the 2021 Canada Games. They had the counsel from the Canada Games there, shmoozing them up.
    There were a variety of performers, mostly athletic routines. We backed up an aerial acrobat. She was going to originally do her routine to a backing track but then they decided a band might be cooler. So we had one rehearsal (none of us ever played the song before) and then hit the stage. Partridge hall seats 775...half of them were 12 year old kids, OMG the high pitched screaming and cheering....it was crazy...sounded like Cheap Trick "Live at Budokan"!

There is some video footage, I just need to track it down. I'll post it when I get it. :D

17. redking

redking Senior Member

Very cool! "I want YOU to want ME!"

18. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Budokan???? Screaming Japanese chicks?

Those were the days! LOL

Very cool. I look forward to the videos.

For a low key, unassuming kinda guy, you really have a VERY interesting life! :cool:

I haz a envy!

19. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRNH_EDTG6g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRNH_EDTG6g[/ame]

20. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

I was watching in amazement on the flexibility of that young lady and thinking how it could be useful :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

And then she was suddenly gone! Somebody with the same train of thought beat me to it. :laugh2: How was that done? I mean beating me to it? LOL

And your HiWatt showed why you have it! Sounds great!

Back in 80, my brother was in a band named Equinox. The guitarist, John Teto, played The Spirit of Radio through his AND sang lead. Different model, but I was in love with HiWatts after that. It covered everything they did exceptionally well.

They are getting back together to do a gig on April 7th. I can't wait. He'll do it again for sure! :thumb:

Keep Rockin Freddy! Music is a Universal language. Well here on Earth anyway! :shock: