New gig - Performing Arts Center

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Freddy G, Dec 9, 2016.

1. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

+1 :thumb:

Sooo true! I do live sound on a semi regular basis, although nowhere near the size Freddy's doing. :shock:

And I couldn't play a horn to save my life!:laugh2:

I would imagine in your case it would be easier to blend in when there are many others around you playing pretty much the same thing.

If you were to screw up, you could probably slide through it without too much notice.

If Freddy screws up the whole place will know it! :wow:

No pressure......:laugh2:

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Well, I don't know about that. My job for that kind of sound re-enforcement is all about "gentle"....so it doesn't actually sound obviously amplified. That gives me quite a bit of leeway for screwing up.

OK...maybe if my Flavor Flav clock at the end of my enormous gold chain around my neck accidentally hit a gain knob and pushed it to the max resulting in an explosion of feedback in the hall causing a few blue hairs to drop dead....yep, I'd call that a serious screw up! But that hasn't happened to me too many times!

On the other hand, a horn player playing a clam for a piece like this? That would get everyone's attention! I know conductors that would hurl their baton at the SOB...:D

3. DarrellV

^^^^^
    OMG :wow::rofl::rofl::rofl:

THAT is too funny!

A fella I used to work with once told me about a conductor hurling his baton at a violinist that just couldn't get a particular part of Stravinsky's Rights of Spring. Every time he came to it, bomb. Finally fired the guy after hurling his baton upside his head a couple times.

Let's hope your employers are more gracious! :D

4. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

I've been the target of thrown chalk board erasers at many rehearsals in the past 50 years!

5. DarrellV

It must have been embarrassing as hell at the time, at least now you can look back and laugh.

6. DarrellV

Beuhler......

Beuhler.....

7. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

When I was a kid we loved watching cartoons after school and on Saturday mornings. They were mostly Warner Bros. cartoons, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck etc. The scores were always full, classical orchestrations and so the appreciation for classical music got ingrained at a very early age. And the crescendos, tympani & brass stabs highlighted the action on screen and made perfect sense. But, once a year at Christmas time, we watched “A Charlie Brown Christmas”. This was something very different....a jazz trio! That classic 1965 (the year I was born) score by Vince Guaraldi is indelibly etched in my mind. It’s the first Christmas record I put on every yuletide season. So last night I got to mix a recreation of “A Charlie Brown Christmas” by the Peter Shea Trio and it was such a treat. All old friends of mine, the band was just great! Peter played a huge Steinway Model D concert grand piano, Mark Inneo on drums and George Kozub on upright bass tore it up all night. But they also had a group of kids (maybe 40 kids) that sang and re-created some of the scenes in the cartoon...such as the “Skating” scene where half the stage became a skating rink (complete with snow machine!). Snoopy and the Red Baron, Linus and Lucy, they even had a kid who was a prodigy jazz pianist playing Schroeder! I know this all sounds pretty sappy, but I wasn’t the only person who felt this way. It was a sold out crowd and the air was electric with joy and appreciation!

Merry Christmas MyLesPaul!

[​IMG]

8. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

Merry Christmas to you too Freddy. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. :applause:

9. DarrellV

Yeah Freddy!

Born in 61, grew up on this stuff back in the 3 channel days!
    Still remember Linus quoting out of Luke the Christmas Story.
    The highlight of the show, brought everything into focus.
    Seemed so much simpler then. Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

10. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

It was the highlight of the show...."The true meaning of Christmas". In fact the network and Schultz had a major conflict over that. Finally it came down to Schultz telling them that if they cut that part he was going to pull the plug on the whole production.

11. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Not sappy at all Freddy. I was born in '58 and I still watch “A Charlie Brown Christmas” (I have it on DVD) and listen to the music. In fact, I just listened to this yesterday:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewG5xsNz5No[/ame]

His arrangement of "Christmas Time Is Here" is spellbinding.

My mother is a pianist and she has many of his records, along with all the great classical composers, so I grew-up with that as well. Plus, my father was a saxophonist and I was exposed to all the Jazz greats at a very early age too.

As much as I like all the Charlie Brown shows, this one was always my favorite.

They say "You can never go back again", but show like this, as well as Bugs Bunny can give you a short-lived glimpse, which is better than nothing

Merry Christmas to you, your family and all my brothers and sisters on the MLPF!

12. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

Much admiration (and a little envy) for Freddy G! :wave:

13. redking

redking Senior Member

Very Cool Freddy! Is this located in Niagra-on-the-Lake also?

14. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

No, it's in nearby St. Catharines.

15. redking

redking Senior Member

Very Cool - The Niagara Region has a lot of cool stuff going on within a fairly close radius....

16. DarrellV

Starting to notice that myself......

May have to start scheduling some time to go over there. :hmm:

Thanks again all! :thumb:

17. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I was excited knowing that I would be working the Los Lobos show yesterday because I've been a fan of their music for a long time.

I was mixing monitors for this show, not front of house. The venue provided all the backline...drums, 2 fender deluxes, bassman and princeton amps, and an ampeg bass rig. The band just brought guitars and pedalboards and assorted musical toys.

Anyway I did line check in the afternoon, everything was ready for when the band came in to do a very quick soundcheck about a half hour before dinner. Guitarist Cesar Rosas was on far stage right, I was in the stage right wing with the monitor mix position.

This is when the totally unexpected happened.

Cesar was playing his guitar, adjusting his amp and pedals, when he glanced over at me. He did a kind of slow double take....stopped playing and said to me "I know you!" I knew who he was of course but I just shook my head and said "sorry, I don't think so..."

He said "Yeah....you're Freddy from the youtube....I watch your videos!"

You could have knocked me over with a feather. We both just started laughing....then he's telling the other guys in the band about it :applause:

Anyway, it turned out that Cesar builds guitars and we had a long chat and I gave him advice about his latest project, a Les Paul.

What a cool guy and what a cool job I scored!

[​IMG]

18. BluesRock

BluesRock Senior Member

Great story! :thumb:

19. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

See.... It is true...... You really are a Celebrity Freddy! Thank God it hasn't gotten to your head! :D Yet?

Even if Cesar didn't know you, it's still an awesome experience.

Did they play "Rita"?

I'm so JEALOUS....... Again! :facepalm:

20. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

phone call:

"can you mix FOH next wednesday in the large hall?"

Me "I'm already on that gig!"

"no...that's impossible, the gig hasn't been filled yet"

Me "I'm in the band, we're performing!"

lol :laugh2: