New Gibson Winter NAMM Models Announced

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by stonevibe, Jan 18, 2019.

1. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Silver Supporter

Great video! The new guitars are looking good. Really nice to see the people behind the scenes are guitar guys and clearly passionate about properly carrying on the legacy with one line that offers an accurate re-creation of the prime vintage era and another line that embraces modern players and innovation. If they can also make sure QC is at the highest standard I’d say things are really looking promising!

2. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Senior Member

Nice to see how simple they have made the line up of new Gibson's. I'm about halfway through the vid, I can't see to see the Custom's!

3. PierM

PierM Premium Member

4. frozenotter

frozenotter Defaulting to Dumb Premium Member

...as if.

:)

5. PierM

PierM Premium Member

If they are dropping for low grade ebony, that's gonna be a downgrade. Unfortunately, having hundreds of kids complaining on their facebook page, all the damn time, about Richlite (people that never had a single guitar with that material), might affect their marketing strategy, and give them the damn ebony, even if a slab of rough brownish indian ebony.

We will see. :)

Macronaut and Lloyd_m like this.
  6. 519tbarr

519tbarr Senior Member

After watching the Premier Guitar video a couple things stand out. The USA lineup revamp does look impressive. The Standard's are what I expected they would be. No mention as to what the 50's neck profile is actually like. The original 2008-2014 Traditional's had that original 50's bigger neck - aka baseball bat style 50's neck. The 2017-2019 Traditional's have had a 50's rounded profile that was slightly chunkier than a 60's slim taper. So these will be interesting to play and see. Glad to see they have returned to medium fretwire and not low fretwire which was offered on the initial 2019 USA offerings. 2 piece bodies seems to be the setup for the USA guitars (as seen on the 50's p-90 goldtop). I am really digging the new 60's Standard. From what I saw of the Les Paul Modern, I am actually very impressed. It looks like they have nailed the idea of a modern Les Paul. Gone is the soloist neck - replaced with the asymmetrical neck, with a real ebony fingerboard, all of the push, pull wizardry is still there with the current 2019 CTS pot revisions (no mention of dip switches) burstbucker pro + pickups - the access neck joint and that burgundy redish colour example really looks great. It's a revised HP guitar (glad the HP name monkier is dropped). The SG Maestro does look rather fabulous. I do wish the 59 tributes would make a return in some form or fashion somewhere in the lineup. As per the Custom Shop - the example of the 59 reissue did look rather stunning. Curious to hear what the unpotted custom buckers will sound like stacked up to the current potted versions in most reissues. There were not a ton of feature changes on the guitars. Not sure what everyone's take is on the low fretwire on the 57 and 58 reissues. That personally for me is one of my least favorite part's of the post 2017 reissues. I'm a 58 kind of guy and I like at least a medium fretwire. The goldtop finish looks great on the 57. Curious to know other's thoughts on the 57 top. Sounds like we are going to be in for a good run of colour's which is exciting! All in all - this will be a good year for Gibson. The last question and really first question on everyone's mind is pricing. That remains to be seen.

decoy205 and Gtarzan81 like this.
  7. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

The R0 really got my attention. What a beauty!

I wish they would've at least paid lip service to the Customs. :(

8. 519tbarr

519tbarr Senior Member

Hopefully it won't take them an eternity to posts specs on all the new guitars. I imagine they have all the USA listings prepared as they leaked some of them earlier last week and then pulled them again. But the spec pages they had were accurate - especially noting the ebony on some models.
    I don't recall seeing an R0 in that video or an R8. The 59 was rather stellar.

9. jktxs

jktxs Senior Member

The regular historic frets (now R9/R0) feel much better imo.

10. 519tbarr

519tbarr Senior Member

I'm not surprised by that statement. Hopefully the Custom Shop will address that issue at some point. I wonder if the sales numbers on R7 & R8's will be affected in anyway by the fretwire.

11. DesolationBlvd

DesolationBlvd Senior Member

I'd rather have streaky ebony like Taylor than Richlite like Martin (but either over rosewood) on a Studio / V / Explorer that calls for ebony.

ToneasaurusRex and Geronimo like this.
  12. jimijam33

jimijam33 Member

But worth it if they sound as good as the originals! And Long Scale LP will sound better IMO..

13. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

After watching the PG video I have a big smile. I'm about 90% convinced at this point. I just want to see some of the guitars show up around here without shoddy craftsmanship and the usual complaints to be a 100% But I think I'm ready to say GIBSON IS BACK! It really seems like they've read all we've said for years around here and elsewhere and listened. The company seems to be in good hands with good leadership finally. We all knew how bad Henry shit the bed but it really shows once you see the problems fixed before you're eyes. I'm glad to say after many years not buying that I'll probably pick up a 2019 Gibson. They are really trying and it shows. I hope they bring back some of the great employees that Henry ran off that made some great guitars during a bad time

tolm and fleahead like this.
  14. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Does anyone know if the normal USA Les Paul Custom will return to ebony boards also? I'm anxious to hear the verdict on that. That's only thing that concerns me is what's going on with the Custom? I've seen next to no press about them or seen any shown off in the new line up

15. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Senior Member

I would think that if they are putting ebony on those Modern series guitars, they will at least have it on the Custom Shop Customs.
    Also, they said in the video that the profile on the new Standard is going to be similar to the '59 rounded profile they used in the 90's on the Standard when they offered it in either the rounded '59 or slim taper 60's neck, if so that's a really nice profile, no baseball neck IMO, just a nice sort of fat rounded profile. It's what my '92 SG Standard has, and it is perfect to me.
    Al

16. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie

Wow - they really seem to have nailed this. The 50s spec and 60s spec Les Pauls both look good and the overall range is really, er, dare I say "classic"? Sensible, even? Love how enthused the two new guys from Gibson are in the PG video too - they seem to be revelling in getting the details right.

Between this and the new Marshall Studio Vintage stuff? Just awesome to see ... two iconic companies getting back to what they do best!

Daniel.S likes this.
  17. PierM

PierM Premium Member

That's a tricky situation, as Gibson it's typically charging 1.5K for Customs with Ebony boards. If they now start using black ebony on regular Customs too, I struggle to believe they will keep same price, as would means you have an historic Custom, based on a 68 reissue, since that's is the only difference between the two guitars, apart pickups. It's gonna be Long Tenon, no relief, round neck profile, ebony board, maple cap etc.... that's basically a 68 reissue, which cost 6K instead 4K, at the moment.

We will see soon. Could be they do follow the path of least resistance, and just balance on the low side, even if upgrading materials. Would be awesome, but wouldn't work with previous line of guitars.

18. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Yeah but then how do they defend using it on the modern standard but still not have it as a traditional appointment on a guitar higher in range? They say they are lowing prices back to normal and going back to basics. Ebony on a Custom is as Gibson basic as it gets. They did separate historical Custom and regular both with real stuff for years and could easily do it again. Regular Customs back then were usually $3500-4000 and historics were about a $1000-1500 more if I remember correctly It can and should be done because we know the ebony is around and available. That whole Richlite thing was Henry J with his hand in your pocket as usual when they could have offered ebony long ago but he was too proud to deal with Taylor Either that or Taylor hated HJ so much no amount would buy the ebony and it different now with new blood at Gibson. Should be interesting

19. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Confirmed, no more richlite, only ebony (at 28:10). :)

paruwi likes this.