New Gibson Winter NAMM Models Announced

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by stonevibe, Jan 18, 2019.

1. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Senior Member

Best thing Gibson did was to ask Jack-ass Juszkiewicz to step down from CEO and the next best thing is to take him off the payroll as a "consultant". Juszkiewicz was a combination of the Black Plague and Typhus fever for Gibson. Good to see the "tradition" back at Gibson, but I've seen some real crap (quality) recently come into regional retail guitars stores from Gibson and then to my shop to be "fixed" under warranty.

Gtarzan81 likes this.
  2. MSB

MSB Senior Member

^ I hear you, preach on about those awful '90s and early '00s and their untraditional features.

Rick likes this.
  3. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Gold Supporter Premium Member

I'd love one of those 'Brown & Tans' in the back ground... I'd settle for one of the Super Gold Tones though...

4. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

I will take both ,

Image temp 5291.jpg

Image temp 5290.jpg

mrfett, 519tbarr and Roxy13 like this.
  5. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Call me a pessimist, but they all, except for the SG, just look like your run-of-the-mill, Gibson USA LPs. If Gibson really wanted to go '50s-'60s specs, they'd be built to the "Historic/RI/vintage" shape.

Still trying to wrap my head around having two (USA vs. CS), very different versions, of the exact same guitar.

Not to digress, but lets take a look at vintage Gibson Juniors, and Specials - Same exact body, just with different appointments, which were then priced accordingly to suit said appointments/upgrades.

No reason Gibson can't do that today.

wilmacat16 likes this.
  6. rdbear7d

rdbear7d Senior Member

It seems every guitar is fitted with the ABR-1..thats cool..

7. PierM

PierM Premium Member

From the pictures I've seen, they looks like ABR1 on Nashville anchors, so it's like they were doing with Traditionals. Not saying it's a bad thing, but it's not vintage accurate, for those who cares. :)

rockstar232007 likes this.
  8. mgdesigns

mgdesigns Junior Member

YEAH - I am totally loving this change for the better - hooray for new direction and back to greats.

9. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Have FUN likes this.
  10. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

Yes, of course... with 1960 strings ...

:beer:

11. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

My point being, they can call them anything they want, but other than their overall construction, there's nothing really "traditional" about USA-made LPs.

If the really want to be traditional, CS and USA LPs/SGs would be virtually indistinguishable from each other, other than a few, very minor appointments (colors, hardware, electronics/pickups, etc).

Example:

Build ALL USA Gibsons to CS/RI/vintage-spec (mostly in the overall shape/construction of the neck/body)

Offer a range of traditional color options (i.e Cherry, GT and Tobacco 'burst)

Offer a range of pickup combos (BBs on the lower end, and CBs on the higher)

Different inlay materials (acrylic vs. CN)

The list goes on.

I get that the whole point of the CS/RI/Historic line was to squeeze as much money as they could out of anyone who could/can afford to drop literally thousands of dollars on a guitar, but this goes WAY beyond "nickel and diming".

Hopefully, Gibson heads in that direction, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

12. ManicPete

ManicPete Member

Holy Jesus that SG.

13. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

All cool stuff. Good to see that Gibson might be righting the ship. Awaiting more info on that Berry ES-350T.... :hmm:

14. Lloyd_m

Lloyd_m Senior Member

The Juniors and Specials look more CS/historic-like than the usual USA models for previous years (minus the limited editions). Their prices just doubled though (same pricing as the limited editions).
    Don't know much about the carved tops.

rockstar232007 likes this.
  15. Malchik

Malchik Senior Member

The website has been stripped down significantly (Thank God we don't need ten years of models mucking the place up).

Looks like they may be optimizing the Custom Shop as well. All they have listed is Custom models and no reissues. I hope they keep the Made 2 Measure shop open. Having a Custom Shop that will take custom orders is revolutionary these days.

wilmacat16 likes this.
  16. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

This weekend is not coming quick enough, I can't wait to get to NAMM. This is my first time going and I am very psych'd about being there this year, especially since Gibson is back with this new excellent lineup.

17. jaylyles06

jaylyles06 Junior Member

I'm hoping for the best, expecting the mediocre.

18. gball

gball Senior Member

I hope that's the case. I like the specs of the '60's Standard but I would want to put a Nashville on it. I really hope they don't get too caught up in the whole "everything was better in the 50's and 60's" mindset and lose sight of all of the good changes that have been made over the years.

Lloyd_m and Rick like this.
  19. Malchik

Malchik Senior Member

I honestly think it can only get better at this point. But I said the same for when Disney bought Star Wars.

20. Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ Senior Member

I hope they've done away with all the push/pull pots, E-Tune and other 'innovations'. I really hope (and it certainly looks like it) that they're getting back to doing what they have always been known for... making some of the most iconic guitars in the world.