New Gibson Winter NAMM Models Announced

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by stonevibe, Jan 18, 2019.

1. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

Goldy, with P90's please, MINUS the ridiculous price tags that Gibson is known for trying to shove down our collective throats.

2. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Now this? This here gives me hope!
    :fingersx:

lakeburst and GS1 like this.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

This could potentially cost me a handful of guitars. :shock:

4. Les Paul John

Les Paul John Senior Member

Nice catch on that. I'll add that the wood grain is identical to mine. has that speckled look which has a nice warm tone.

5. Les Paul John

I'm going to want one of these as well …. almost feels like they will get backordered from selling out. Of course not knowing how many they will make ...

mdubya likes this.
  6. Jewel the Sapphire

Jewel the Sapphire Senior Member

Im interested in seeing the double cut with two p90s from the contemporary line up, the 2019 junior is GREAT! I also look forward to the unveil of the signature model "Old Glory"
    :cool2:

20190118_205133.png 20190118_205101.png

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  7. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Senior Member

Speckled tone?

Les Paul John and Rick like this.
  8. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

One of those SGs is going to be hard to resist.

9. dCi_king

dCi_king Senior Member

And a lot of money...:doh:

lakeburst and mdubya like this.
  10. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Did they stop making R7-8-9-0's?

Les Paul John likes this.
  11. Roshy Boy

Roshy Boy Senior Member

Pics look great. But reading the limited marketing jibe that includes words ilke: contemporary line up, introduces a new concept, we listened combined with modern offerings, innovative slim taper neck, contemporary updates - tends to deflate my optimism that these will be Custom Shop substitutes at lower prices. Gibson will always need to keep that line of seperation between the two brands None the less, they will be pretty guitars.

RobertD likes this.
  12. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

13. ACEit

ACEit Senior Member

so .. talking about the top models of usa LPs... the only innovation seems to be the gold top w/ p90.... the '50 std should be the same as previous trad... just with a different name on it..

:doh:

just to continue to make difficult to understand wich model is wich.... at least before there was std AND trad.... then we had the "traditional standard" .. the "traditional traditional"..the "traditional traditional plus" ... the "traditional traditional plus standard special run" ... also custom shop become not so "name" friendly... now they will call a bunch of completely DIFFERENT models with the same basic name...

I really don't understand the logic...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  14. Mr Hockey

Mr Hockey Member

That is a sweet looking SG that I would love to own!!

mdubya and Jewel the Sapphire like this.
  15. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Senior Member

The logic is that they have gone back to the original names for the LP basic models, which is what many have been asking for on these forums for a long time. The ones with modern features, like different neck shapes, push-pull pot options, and other electronic "innovations" will have different names. This is what they should have done in the first place, instead of changing the Standard to the Traditional, and making the Standard a guitar that is full of modern features. It's very simple, and I applaud them for listening to what the players have been asking for.
    Al

Geronimo, jbash, endial and 2 others like this.
  16. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

All of this is well and good, and it IS nice to see a reset of models/names, etc.....

But PRICING..... it doesn't matter how cool everything seems.... if the prices are still stupidly high, it's moot.

17. Les Paul John

The triple pickup SG is an SGS3 and is a 2015 pictured there in my photo I put up previously in this thread, and was listed as 'Limited' - also because it is 2015 it has no nibs on the fret ends as per 2015 Gibson USA. I should add in 2015 with many Gibsons having extra wide fretboards this is a normal traditional width or we would not have bought it.

That being said …. they have the same guitar but for 2018 still available, I don't think they were 'Limited' in 2018, could be wrong. Also it has fret end nibs like a normal bound Gibson when the 2015 I own does not.

The bridge pickup is a 57 Classic Plus wth the other 2 being 57 Classics. The sideways Vibrola still doesn't stay in tune but it is remodeled and modernized under the hood which I will find a picture on another computer here and throw that here as well to show how cool it is. Actually looks great without the cover on the trem.

Here it is with the same price it was in 2015 but for 2018 and new of course as was our when we bought it a couple of years ago … this is my favorite SG, it has so much tone and sustain it should be illegal. There's something to that mass of metal in the tremolo that you can feel when playing. It's like a tone block or something.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBSGS3A19

I'll come back shortly and add some photos to this …. give me a few minutes.

EDIT: Added photos of the tremolo under the cover as well as of the guitar and features.

IMG_8364 (2).jpg IMG_0143.jpg IMG_8291.jpg IMG_8290.jpg IMG_8284.jpg IMG_8275.jpg IMG_8271.jpg

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    USMC 0369, DarrellV, Sharp and 7 others like this.
  18. LPJNoob

LPJNoob Senior Member

endial, Lloyd_m and Les Paul John like this.
  19. ACEit

ACEit Senior Member

so ... as 10 years ago they ended making the std in a way that in the last 10 years is the way the trad is made to you is correct to call ALL of them standard from now on and we will have the '50 std that is a pre 2008 std and '60 std that is the innovative after 2008 std... cool...

:doh:

20. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

The Les Pauls are nice, but it's this bad boy that's getting me excited.

Holy shit I might actually buy a Gibson this year.

Not quite. The '60s Std is going to be a 1960-spec Les Paul (supposedly), so it'll be analogous to the Classic if anything. The new innovations of the 2008 Std look like they're going to be on the new Les Paul (and SG) Modern:

[​IMG]

There might be some confusion in the short term but in the long run this makes way more sense. It's simple honest direct language, which hasn't been around at Gibson in a long time.