New for 2017 : Epiphone Ltd. Ed. Johnny A. Custom Outfit

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by paruwi, May 1, 2017.

1. snowbum007

snowbum007 Junior Member

Really looking forward to your review! I have one on order but it will be August before I may see mine. Don't keep us waiting too long but if so that must mean you can't put your JA guitar down.

2. Artisan

Artisan Senior Member

Hello all,
    So yesterday I took home the new Epiphone Johnny A Custom and last night I had a closer look at it.
    Firstly I'd like to say it seems very well made and nicely finished. So here are my observations.

1) The construction is very similar to the Gibson version. It is a full hollow with no center block - unlike the semi-hollows like most ES models.
    The body is made from a solid single piece of mahogany with a very shallow cavity. The body is very this and the cavity is flat even though
    the back is slightly arched. This explains the shallowness. The cavity seems even more shallow that my Gibson JAS but I did not measure it.
    The neck is also a single solid piece of mahogany. Not too thick. Almost like a slim '59 Les Paul. It feels very similar to the Gibson JAS.
    The top is a solid maple carved top. The specs say its a veneered flame top but the guy at the guitar store said its a laser etch. I don't know!!!
    All I can say is it was very similar to my friend's Epi Les Paul which was made in Korea in the 90's which is a veneered flametop.
    The fretboard is ebony. Its incredibly solid and light. I did not weigh it but it's slightly lighter than the Gibson JAS whick is 6 1/2 lbs...

2) The feel is very nice. The frets are low and rounded. The edges are also rounded and have no sharp edges. Beautifully done!!
    The body is not too big, 14 1/4 at the widest point, 1 5/8 thickness. Shallow arches on top and bottom, just enough to be comfortable.
    It's a long scale, 25 1/2 inches joined at the 19th fret and with the elongated Epi headstock it's quite long. I love that.
    The action was ok but I'm used to lower action. The pickups are set quite low and thus the output was not as loud as I like. I noticed that
    the pickups were pitched to the right istead of being flat. I tried to move the pickups but they did not budge. This tells me the springs are too tight.
    Nothing big but I think it could use a better setup. That really depends on the player.

3) The finish is amazing. The color is a really nice warm caramel color or tobacco depending on your view point. Thick glossy perimeter burst finish...
    The back is a dark translucent red showing off the nice mahogany on the neck and back. The back of the headstock has a black stinger.
    The are bindings everywhere. Five ply binding on the top, three in the back, three on the fretboard and three on the headstock. All nicely done.
    The headstock and frets have a three part inlay made of pearloid. The truss rod cover has Johnny's signature and is a nice finishing touch.

4) The sound is quite crisp, typical of the Gibson '59 Classics and there is no hiss or hum at all which plagues so many Epiphone's. The Bigsby is
    nice and looks like the real thing. I don't know if this is made in China. The guitar had a sticker that said "Hand crafted in China" and the box said
    Made in China so I don't know about the Bigsby, but there was a sticker that said "Equipped with Gibson pickups. The 3-way switch was nice and
    smooth with no click noise, and the Volume and Tone were very sensitive. A small turn made a big difference in loudness and tone. The overall
    tone seemed a bit muted which I suspect is because of the pickup position. I has nice and bright but not snappy, I will change the strings and
    get a setup done and review it again.
    IMG_3907.JPG IMG_3908.JPG IMG_3909.JPG IMG_3910.JPG IMG_3911.JPG IMG_3907.JPG IMG_3908.JPG IMG_3909.JPG IMG_3910.JPG IMG_3911.JPG
    Here are a few pics I took last night...

Who, 1all's Pub, Benjammin and 3 others like this.
  3. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Is that a real ABR1 bridge? I see no metric studs and screws.

Looks great!

4. daddyo

daddyo Senior Member

Yorkville, Toronto! That means mine can't be far away as I live in Vancouver!!!

5. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

@Artisan....:drool::drool::drool::drool:

Oh man... such much want!!!! I love the fact that it's not built like a laminated semi-hollow (as was/is advertised) and is instead built from routed, solid mahogany like the Gibson Johnny A. Crap I want one of these bad, but funds are super tight right now. No can do. I'll probably end up buying one used in the future for a premium no doubt. Dang it! Anyway, enjoy and HNGD!

6. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

That's a good point, Pier! It would be highly unusual, no?

The EPI shots say it do..
    [​IMG]

But @Artisan say it don't..
    [​IMG]

7. Artisan

Artisan Senior Member

Hello,

It is definitely an ABR1 bridge, but it is not a Gibson ABR1. There is some kind of locking set screw instead of a standard threaded stud.

PierM likes this.
  8. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

That is a very nice guitar.

Thanks for the in-depth write up!

9. Takeaway

Takeaway Junior Member

Lovely guitar you have there!

I think that's a B700 vibrato, not a B70 as per the official Epi specs

10. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

I went from wanting this guitar to needing this guitar! You bastard!

"Honey, time to sell the kids."