New Epiphone headstock shape contest!

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Akahito, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Akahito

Akahito Senior Member

Hokay! This might be interesting. After reading the http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epi...whats-1-thing-youd-like-see-changed-epis.html thread, I thought it might be fun for us to design a new headstock shape for Epiphone. :dude:

PLEASE READ:
    This is a contest and there are certain rules to abide to.

1. The shape CANNOT be a direct copy of another brand of guitars, e.g. Gibson.
    2. The entry should feature a 3L+3R tuner configuration, however this is not absolute.
    3. The entry must have the tuner holes shown at their corresponding locations.
    4. The entry must feature the Epiphone logo clearly visible.
    5. The entry must feature an Epiphone-style or corresponding truss rod cover .
    6. The width of the nut used for the design is 1,695" or 43,05mm.
    7. The entry must include the measurements for the size of the headstock indicated in millimeters (mm).
    8. The entry CANNOT be a photograph of an existing headstock shape, even if it was your own design. (We need for the entries to be comparable.)
    9. The entry must be submitted in .jpg format, in 1:1 scale at 150dpi resolution.
    You must submit the entries to me at aikahoito(at)hotmail.com either via email or via MSN Messenger. As the limit for poll options is 10, I WILL POST THE FIRST TEN ENTRIES TO REACH ME IN A POLL FOR EVERYONE TO VOTE ON ANONYMOUSLY. If there are more than 10 entries, I will post multpile poll threads, the winners of which will get polled against each other later on.

The winner will be awarded with my seal of approval and lots and lots of love and admiration from the MLP Epi community. :D :slash: And who knows, Epiphone might actually take heed of their most devoted customers one day. :hmm:

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

I was looking at my Custom headstock and had an idea. I call it the 'Inverse OB.'

[​IMG]

Basically took the top of the open-book headstock and turned it upside-down. I kinda dig it.

- D

3. TheCubanSpy

TheCubanSpy Senior Member

Am I the only one who likes the Epi headstock shape?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing wrong with that IMHO

Mark_F likes this.
  4. TheCubanSpy

You know, I could see it working on an SG, but keep it off my Lester. Please and thank you :lol:

5. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Actually, if the curve was just ever so slighly less exaggerated on the sides, that would be...an amazing headstock!

6. TheCubanSpy

Ok, I have to agree with you there

7. Jason

Jason Senior Member

I honestly think they look great how they are.

Malikon likes this.
  8. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I like the headstock - just fix the headstock angle!

9. RMC1

RMC1 Senior Member

Amen to that one Dice,that would be the best thing to happen

10. gibiphone

gibiphone Senior Member

You'll poke your eye out with one of those. :)

11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I'm thinking it kind of looks like an old Ibanez headstock after looking at it again.

- D

12. Sinmastah

Sinmastah Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

Epi is fine, but change the elitist for next year. Oh whoops :rolleyes:

13. Akahito

Akahito Senior Member

Nothing much, but it's fun to contemplate. :) C'mon guys, where's your sense of humor and creativity gone?
    :rock:

14. Sinmastah

Sinmastah Epi Verification Expert V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

Victory :laugh2:

15. LEFTY LES

LEFTY LES Banned

Im with the guys who like it. The guys who dont like the headstock are the guys who want Gibsons and what there Epi's to be Gibbys. I bet and Im no expert on this but I bet that the guy's who really really hate the headstocks on Epi's are the guys who mod there epi's the most.

Obviously there are some exceptions to that. So come on all you guys who modded the shit out of there guitars and love the headstock. Come on and tell me Im wrong. As a whole I bet im right.....

who's with me!!?????

16. RMC1

RMC1 Senior Member

I personally have nothing against the Headstock,but i would like to see the correct Headstock Angle.Oh and yeah,i`ve got a Heritage Cherry that`s been modded to death,but that`s ok,because Lefty like`s it :thumb::thumb:

17. surfer777

surfer777 Senior Member

Agreed Lefty, an Epi is NOT a Gibson! They're made by Gibson, yes, but they are totally different guitars! It makes sense to have a different headstock in my opinion, and I like the Epi headstock. I think it is a little big but it doesn't bother me at all.

And I don't want to turn this thread into a headstock argument, I think it'd be cool if the headstock shape were like the Elitist headstock but off-center...like the left side starts lower, and the curve goes up and comes back down but ends higher than where it started. I don't have a picture and I know its hard to explain, if any of you could make a picture of it who understand that would be killer---my picture editing skills are non-existent.

18. R.L.

R.L. Senior Member

The head stock in fine the way it is but if it were changed I'd like to see it the same shape as the Gibson with the corners cut of like a modern era Epi, I think that's what others have already stated and change the head stock angle I never understood why Epi who copied the Gibson's so well otherwise just let that detail go. I know it's hard to find the wood for one piece necks like Gibby uses but you'd think they could work something out.

19. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

I'll openly admit I've seen far, far uglier headstocks than the Epiphones.

I really don't mind it...I just think they'd look a little better with a wee bit less of a curve on the sides. (I'm not stating get rid of it...just reduce it by oh, I don't know...a centimeter on each side.

20. grimlyflick

grimlyflick Member

I modded the shit out of my Epiphone because I wanted too, nothing to do with whats on the headstock. I would've done the same if it was a Tokai or a Burny.

My Gibson is just as modded as my Epiphone, I just like to get my guitars exactly as I like them.

Cheers!!!