New Duane Allman Clone Pups from Wizz

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by El Kabong, Sep 4, 2017.

1. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

PSA: Anyone wanting to release their inner Duane (the other one) might want to have a look at the new Duane Allman pups announced today from Wizz... they are hotttttttt!!! :cheers:

http://www.wizz-pickups.net/signature-series-pickups

d1m1, tonybony and bulletproof like this.
  2. bbaug14

bbaug14 Senior Member

Anyone tried these yet? I'm curious to hear thoughts on them.

3. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

I picked up both sets of prototypes (I believe there was only 1 set of each) and I think they're amazing...

It interesting that they can vary so much in impedance yet that Wizz wind breaks through it... so they are very similar in ways, yet also distinct.

The Hot 'Lantas do live up to their name and when cranked they really sparkle. The Layla set is much mellower and clearer, but they definitely have some hair on them when the gain or volume is cranked.

I highly recommend them both...

[​IMG]

d1m1 likes this.
  4. bbaug14

bbaug14 Senior Member

Thanks so much. Thinking about putting the Hot 'lanta set in a LP I use for rock music and the Layla set in a 335. I think those two guitars would compliment these pickups (or vice versa) very well.

5. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Absolutely... let us know how they sound, be great to get a second opinion on them...

6. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

Hey Duane,

How do these compare with the NOS wire Wizz clones?

7. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

I don't think anything quite matches old wire... the chiminess, overtones and sensitivity just can't be beat. That being said, Wizz pickups in general rank among my favorites and using those pickups as a starting point for pretty much any signature set, and (in this case) adding the Allman specs on top of it, not only bring you as close as any set of pickups can get to the Allman tone (you'll have to supply the proper amplification), but are a mighty fine set of pickups to begin with.

d1m1 and grayd8 like this.
  8. bassmannlespaulman

bassmannlespaulman Senior Member

I have a pair of ox4 hot duanes and those are very excellent pickups so I'm good lol

9. bbaug14

bbaug14 Senior Member

I used to rock those for awhile. I find the OX4 have a spongier bass response than the Wizz though, which is why I prefer the Wizz.

10. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

I have a set of the Ox4 Hot Duanes as well... they are nice, but were too bright for the Allman Sigs. Maybe better with covers on them... I've never seen Duane playing a burst with the covers off, so it seems only right to keep them on.

Here are my two Duane Allman Cherry Bursts... the Aged one with the Wizz Layla/Fillmore Set and the NOS one with the Wizz Hot 'Lantas... both sound amazing!!!

[​IMG]

Brewdude and tonybony like this.
  11. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

I think a lot depends on the guitar, I had a set of Ox4 hot Duane’s in my R9 and they were ridiculously bright, my buddy has a set of them in his sg; and they aren’t ridiculously bright.

After that I started collecting pickups so i can try multiple sets in each guitar until the stars align.

12. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

This is so true... after I took the Ox4s out of the Allman Sig it I flipped the mags and they went into my CC#1 for quite a while where they sounded amazing. Neither of the two other Ox4 sets I have (regular wind and beanos) is overly bright, so I think its just a case of the pickups matching the guitar. After the Ox4s I had a set of David Allen Tru59s in there (on a recommendation from two of the hottest Japanese Allman Tribute players) and they were also amazing, only to be replaced by the Wizzes... once you get on the pickup swapping merry-go-round its hard to get off of it, but I do believe the Wizzes will be staying for a while, unless I get an actual Hot 'Lanta to put the Hot 'Lantas in...

13. bassmannlespaulman

bassmannlespaulman Senior Member

I never experienced them being too bright and i have them uncovered in my les paul black beauty with a 4×10 tweed bassman and the presence and bright controls on 12 *i set my amp flat with everything on 12*.... but hey everybody perception of dark 9r bright is different

14. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

The Cherry Burst Layla Fillmore set is supposedly 7.0k neck and bridge, so, maybe not so hot.

The Darkburst Hot Lanta is sorta hot though, and is interesting in that the neck pickup at 8.7k is wound hotter than the bridge at 8.3k.

15. thesjkexperience

thesjkexperience Member

What’s interesting is most pickup makers go for hot overwound sound for their Fillmore style sets and Wizz, spec wise, is closer to what you expect from a Dickey Betts set in the low 7k.

I might have to check out the Wizz dark burst and Greenie sets.

I put my OX4 hot Duane’s in a ‘57 Gold top style, with fat neck, and they are just amazing! I may put covers on them as the double black look isn’t as nice looking.

16. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

Is this the guitar Duane was so fond of .. he traded away?

17. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

The pickups in Duane's Fillmore were pulled from a '57 Goldtop... it would be EXTREMELY odd if there were overwound to that extent. Low 7kΩ would be normal for '57 PAFs and when Gibson had the guitar in-hand for replication they chose a set of custom buckers that were both wound around 7kΩ... one of the few instances where Gibson got it right... and so did Wizz!!! As for the other pickup makers, impedance alone only tells a part of the story... there are many other specs that need to be taken into account and only the final result really matters.

Duane traded his '57 Goldtop (plus some cash and a Marshall head) for the Cherry Burst but he swapped the pickups... so the Cherry Burst got the '57 Goldtop's Layla Pickups and the Goldtop got the '59 PAFs. Later that Goldtop was completely stripped (including the paint) so there is no telling where those '59 PAFs ended up.

18. thesjkexperience

thesjkexperience Member

El Kabong, I do wind my own pickups (so I’ve spent lots of time thinking about minutiae) and have wondered why ‘57 pafs would be so hot! I’m pretty sure WCR uses 43 per wire on their Fillmore set is around 11 &13k ohms, but his Darkburst set is spot on.

I have 4 sets of Wizz and 2 OX4 and all are just amazing! I think of OX4 as sweeter than Wizz and depending on your rig one of the two brands will get you fantastic tone and control. I say control because since 1980 I avoided humbuckers due to the mud you get when the guitars controls are turned down. I couldn’t figure out how Jimmy Page got those sibly tones in tsrts since modern paf style pickups didn’t clean up.

My humbuckers, I use off the shelf parts, don’t clean up as well as OX4 or Wizz, but my hand winding works much better with single coils which sound great according to the people that have played my builds.

Did Duane use a fuzz face when using the Gold Top pickups? That could account for the fat tone and sustain he got. In fact, at the high volumes he played, a lower output HB pickup would be easier to control. Jimi preferred the really low output, below 6k, and also used the FF>Marshall rig as well.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 3:46 AM
  19. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Duane used a fuzz face in the early days but I don't believe he ever used it with the ABB... once you get the guitar/pups tweaked perfectly then the amp/speakers must also be duplicated... all in all a pretty tall order, so most folks settle for close enough...