New DiMarzio 59's

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Starman, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Starman

Starman Senior Member

2. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Nothing wrong with using A5s. Gibson certainly did. I agree that most of today's A5s sound brittle and boomy with no mids, if that's what you mean.

Ever notice how in these pickup ads lately, winders/manufacturers are referring to their wire as "enamel wire" but not specifying WHAT TYPE of enamel? That's intentionally to trick the uneducated.

When you read "enamel wire" you probably think, "Ya, that's what PAFs used!" but that's intentionally vague and misleading wording.

Polyester and polyamide coated wire (like used T-Tops and modern cheap pickups) are considered enamel coated wire. ...but not the same type as the "single build plain enamel" wire that PAFs, P-90s, and many vintage Fender pickups used and higher end modern replicas use today. That enamel coating is similar to varnish or lacquer and the wire responds differently in a pickup.

http://www.swwireco.com/enamel-coated-magnet-wire.html

Naughty naughty!

garybaldy, Rhust, BayouGTR and 2 others like this.
  3. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

It looks like the intention of this product is to exploit both their PAF and double cream trademark more overtly than they have in the past. In fact, it looks like double cream is the only color they offer this pickup in. One argument against DiMarzio's double cream trademark has been that they offer pickups in all colors, not just double cream. This may or may not be a reaction to that criticism.

I'm guessing this was a difficult product for them to launch, philosophically, because despite trademarking "PAF" and the double cream aesthetic, most of their forty plus year history has been about convincing guitarists that they're pickups offer something new and improved over the stock pickups that came in their guitar. A product like this esentially celebrates stock guitar pickups.

There's been a vintage craze going on for nearly two decades now, but DiMarzio has beat around that bush with models such as the Air Classics. They claim to be vintage, but always with their own modern twist. Even the more recent 36th Anniversary and PAF Master utilized some of their patented tweaks, such as placing additional slugs in the bobbins, and using plastic washers in place of a steel keeper. With this product, it's as though they finally capitulating to vintage correctness, and offerring in the one color have exclusive rights to.

4. Starman

Starman Senior Member

Wow two incredibly well written and thought out replies echoing many of the thoughts I had regarding these new offerings, and some points I never considered! Thank you cooljuk and Antigua!

*yes* I think of A5 as brittle and overpowering not lush,....that being said I have a full mahogany Epi LP that has a DiMarzio 36th neck and it is anything but brittle or boomy, it sounds fantastic so they do offer a sweet version of A5 magnet unlike the A5 Burstbucker Pro's that I despise.

5. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

my review of them went on my site today.

Reader's Digest version: nothing that's not already out there.... and in double cream.

6. LBG

LBG Senior Member

I’m supposing they’re unpotted. I’ve enjoyed my 36th’s in my LP but I’ve been considering a change. They can get too bright at times and I’ve noticed kind of a harsh nasal frequency I don’t care for.

7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The thread on the Duncan forum has really explored it all. Most of the talk has been about the fact that Dimarzio keeps trying to make the same set of pickups.....and really hasn't got anywhere near yet.

thesjkexperience and Zoobiedood like this.
  8. darthphineas

how many of the people commenting have played the new set?

9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Probably only a handful.

But its a pretty safe bet even if nobody has. Dimarzio is not known for anything even resembling PAF tone yet, and I can't see it happening anytime soon.
    To be fair, I don't think Duncan does either....(not that they really aim for full-on PAF replicas save maybe for the Bonamassa sets).

10. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

The pink overtone in the bobbins just makes it look like a cheap Chinese knockoff.

11. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

That's one of the most annoying aspects of DiMarzio having trademarked double cream, their version of cream tends to be peculiar in its own right, and often with a matte finish that is otherwise nowhere to be found on most electric guitars. They not only monopolize a color, they screw that color up.

12. darthphineas

there are older DiMarzio models that people seem to think are closer. of course, Larry takes things off the menu and we are left to hunt them down in ebay. you'd think he'd understand that's $ that he can be making if he kept them in production.

I'm a little mixed on the Skinnerburst set. players seem to like it better than the Magellan set.

13. thesjkexperience

thesjkexperience Member

It is odd that most trademarks specify a certain Pantone color not just, say, red. Coke is a great example and why their logo is often used in humorous ways because we see the specific script and color together we know it’s Coke.

Both PAF and double cream seem way too broad. I also doubt that people would write in “it’s a DiMarzio” if tested when they see a double cream hb pickup. Those Allen screw pole pieces, to me, are the only time I think of DiMarzio.

14. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

And yet that is not trademarked, because the USPTO recognized that screw head type is a functional consideration.

15. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

A5 brittle, boomy, no mids and overpowering? Not the ones in my guitars. :naughty: I'd put some blame on the winder, not the magnet.

jbash likes this.