New Dean Cadillac 1980 Flame Top Floyd.... impressive

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Rocco Crocco, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I've been scouring Craigslist for an inexpensive Les Paul style guitar with a Floyd (Epiphone LP Pro FX or similar) for some time now. They must be nice guitars because they are never for sale here locally.

Last week I stumbled upon this (I must have got the last one. Link says no longer available)...

Dean Cadillac 1980 Flame Top Electric Guitar at zZounds

There is precious little in the way of reviews and YouTube vids for this particular piece, but reading reviews for other import Deans, it appears their guitars are well made and have quite a following, particularly in the Metal community. So I decided to order it. I could always return it if I didn't like it.

This was my first purchase from Zzounds. They did a good job packaging the guitar for shipment. It arrived when stated and was in perfect condition. The weight is 8.2 lbs. Perfect.

[​IMG]

The top is beautiful. I guess this would be considered a tiger eye?
    The hardware is finished in black chrome. A very nice touch.
    [​IMG]

The styling is not for everyone. The headstock is humongous, to the point where you really have to be aware of your surrounding when playing it so you don't bump into anything. The headstock size also creates a problem in that you are stuck getting a case specifically designed for the Caddy. It won't fit into a generic case or even my XL gigbag.
    [​IMG]

Check out the cartoonish Dean logo. I think its cool... something different than my typical Gibson/Epiphone preferences.
    [​IMG]

Tuners are Grover and work well!
    [​IMG]

I've had bad luck with Floyd equipped guitars in the past. My BC Rich Mockingbird had virtually no sustain, and my Music Man EVH import had a neck I could never get used to. This guitar has great sustain and a C-shaped Gibby type neck that I have always preferred (feels slightly beefier than a 60's slim taper).

The fretwork is perfect. I was able to get the action VERY low without any notes choking out. The fretboard is supposed to be ebony. It looks to me like it's rosewood, not very dark and it has streaks, but it feels smooth like ebony. Either way, it feels great.

The neck pickup sounds ok, but the bridge pickup sounds weak. I raised it alot which helped some, but I have a Duncan JB I'll probably throw in there at some point. The electronics are typical of import guitars. It has mini pots and it looks like a rats nest in the control cavity. I may address that in the future but ima gonna leave it for now.

This guitar seems like a winner. The finish is flawless, it feels balanced when sitting or playing with a strap, and the Floyd Rose 1000 works flawlessly.

Benjammin, Ghostman, Webtroll and 5 others like this.
  2. Meatwad

Meatwad Senior Member

Nice!!:thumb:

I dig the Cadillacs....and the big ole' V headstock.

HNGD!!

1 person likes this.
  3. jbash

jbash Senior Member

I had a Dean ML phase for awhile. Imports and a custom.shop TC. Those MIK imports like the 79 series, etc. are very well put together IME. Much nicer build than the E word guitars in similar price range, IME.

Congrats!

2 people like this.
  4. endial

endial Senior Member

I've always wanted one. I thought it would be cool looking on stage between an Explorer and a Les Paul. The upper third of the bout is Explorer, and the lower two-thirds is a Paul.

I have both.

I'm glad you got the vee headstock. It's f**in' groovy. And the top on yours is unique. It's terrific! I love it!

Happy New Guitar Day friend!

1 person likes this.
  5. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Senior Member

Congrats! It's always fun to have something a bit different. :dude:

1 person likes this.
  6. Couldn'tStandTheWeather

Couldn'tStandTheWeather Senior Member

It looks great, HNGD! I have an '07 import Caddy and it's a great guitar. Enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  7. ReiGnMaN

ReiGnMaN Member

...Big Block upgrade.. Do it.. DO IT!:applause:

HNGD

1 person likes this.
  8. Zungle

Zungle Senior Member

Love it.....:dude:

1 person likes this.
  9. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

I love a big V :h5:

1 person likes this.
  10. MrKensei

MrKensei Senior Member

Nice guitar but beware

Dean guitars use an almost unique Floyd top nut, it's got a 16" radius and a very low saddle height (The fretboard is not totally routed through).
    The hardened steel clamps on the nut tend to shatter over time and cannot be replaced with off the shelf items, Dean do not stock spares and their custoemr support is horrible.
    After 3 months of wrangling for a new nut for my Razorback I was told to "get wone from Allparts" allparts DO NOT stock suitable replacements, I had to get the nut milled down to fit, at great expense.
    Other than that, fine instruments.

1 person likes this.
  11. Rocco Crocco

^ Thanks for the heads up, MrKensei. Are you saying the clamps can't be replaced or the nut itself?

12. MrKensei

MrKensei Senior Member

Either. The clamping pieces are an unusual size, I've spent a LOT of money shopping for replacements, ended up buying some floyd ones and grinding them down.
    Same with the nut, there isnt a Floyd, Schaller, Gotoh etc... direct replacement, they all have to be modified and Dean wont supply an oem replacement.

1 person likes this.
  13. Rocco Crocco

Weird.... wonder why they don't use stock sized parts...

14. Tangerine

Tangerine Guitaraholic Premium Member

Good looking Caddy, HNGD!

15. MrKensei

MrKensei Senior Member

Exactly, I wouldnt mind nromally as the Dean parts are really high quality except for the shattering clamps. My razorback is living in it's box right now as I've decided to cut my losses and just hardtail it.

16. ReiGnMaN

ReiGnMaN Member

Always liked the neck profiles on those guitars, just really comfortable.

17. Shai`tan

Shai`tan Senior Member

I know this is an old thread, but how is the access to the higher frets where the neck joins the body? I`ve always wanted one of the Caddies with a Floyd. Is the scoop in back nicely done, and allow comfy access to the higher frets? Thx man.

18. Rocco Crocco

Wow. Cool to see this thread got revived.

Upper fret access on the Dean is OK, not great. It is slightly better than my Les Paul's with regular LP neck heels. It could probably be improved by relocating the strap button. If you want something with great upper fret access, look elsewhere.

[​IMG]