New Capacitor Shoot Out.

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by kernelofwisdom, Oct 16, 2010.

1. kernelofwisdom

kernelofwisdom V.I.P. Member

Shoot Out 2! I got a lot of caps in from Jonesy and decided to put them to the test.

Here are the candidates.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thank Geo and Jonesy for great advice on testing gear. But I give a special thanks to Raz59 who went way above the call of duty trying to help me on my "magic box" project. I tried to make a box that I could send a loop clip to that would eliminate the player variable. Well, it was harder than I thought. Raz59 gave it maximum effort though and I really appreciate the help even though I failed. I tried a lot of things, including putting a pickup in the circuit, but I couldn't do it. Here's the damn box:

[​IMG]

I punted and got up early this morning and just alligator clipped in the caps in the R9 and here we go:

Capacitor Shoot-Out Part 2!

Clips are about 50 seconds per cap, first open, then at 6, then closed. My 50's bee is not in there because I lost it or used it in something and sold it!!

Standard limitations apply on the utility of this experiment - my selections, playing, recording, digital compression, and playback equipment all affect the experience. In all of these attempts to isolate variables, I think it's probably best to take everything with a grain of salt and get a pair of alligator clips and find caps you are interested in and have at it. :dude:

2. Jakeislove

Jakeislove Senior Member

Liked my own caps the best, LOL!

3. kernelofwisdom

that's the most fortunate result possible!! :laugh2: :dude:

4. Ilya-v

Ilya-v Member

This is Great, thanks.
    This keeps proving my point to myself. :D

5. Jakeislove

Jakeislove Senior Member

Truth is I just followed Jonesy's advice. I'm utterly ignorant about the topic.

6. Raz59

Raz59 Senior Member

Sorry to put you through all that trouble...and thanks for the clips.

I got different results since the last test, surprisingly. Don't know if it really was the caps influencing it if it was the plectrum strumming the strings in a particular way that brought out certain harmonics that I find pleasant.

7. kernelofwisdom

in this case i just used my fingers (and caught a nail sometimes) but I also played it on an old ac-15 instead of the carr rambler (or fender can't remember) I used last time... same pickup and guitar though.

And thanks a lot for helping in my project. Raz provided charts, schematics, everything that was possible to help, but it was I'm afraid about as difficult for him as trying to restart the mars lander by relaying instructions to a 2nd grader over a walkie-talkie!

8. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

I really couldn't tell a difference in most of those, even with headphones, but the one that stood out as being the warmest were the Goodalls.

I personally did hear a difference in swapping out the stock ceramic ones for a Gudeman in the bridge and a Vitamin Q in the neck, supplied by Jonesy.

Could you hear a difference in each of them, by actually being in the room?

9. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Clean demo was good now you need to do a demo on how they handle Distortion.

10. kernelofwisdom

No, not all of them - some seemed identical or close. Some did sound different with the tone knob at the 6. Probably really it would do better to clip them in but spend a bit of time with them to really tell if a person liked one better than the other.

11. kernelofwisdom

BTW, if any honest member wants to have a go, I'm glad to share a set of capacitors and alligator clips. Just mail them back to me and report in what you find.

12. Mayo5

Mayo5 Senior Member

I definitely picked my own(Vit.Q) cap for the best too. I think it has the best overall balance with clarity. I was surprised to find out that I liked the Jensen 2nd best.

13. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

I liked the Vitamin Q best too. 2nd was the Orange Drop.

Both are made by Sprague.

Can you see a pattern here...? :cool:

14. sixstring531

sixstring531 Senior Member

I listened blind and took notes - kept the speakers close to my head and tried my best to give every cap the same opportunity - my winner was U (the only one I put a star by) - which happened to be the Gibson repro bumble bee I guess.

The caps I have in my PRS Singlecut (goldtop, 50s wiring) are orange drops and I made some not so nice notes next to that letter - I thought it was thin.

I also liked the CRL ceramic disc, Jensen, Russian K4Y-9 and nothing.

Thanks for doing an awesome demo.

Anyone know about the RS guitarworks bumble bee looking caps?

15. FourT6and2

FourT6and2 Senior Member

Didn't really hear a difference between any of them, except maybe a slight, subtle change of highs or lows here and there. But I think that's due to inconsistency in strumming (attack, timing, etc...).

So, for me this means that the caps don't really do much. And if they do, the differences won't matter unless you're playing by yourself in your bedroom. Because once a drummer starts playing, you're not going to be able to hear those subtle differences (if they're even there). But if all you want is peace of mind, then go for it! :)

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  16. sixstring531

sixstring531 Senior Member

This may be quite true - BUT - if you play with your volume or tone controls any in a live situation, one cap may work better (cut through better) than the other. Being a bedroom and live tone snob, I just bought two PIO Russian K40Y-9 caps (.015 and .022) to replace my orange drops. Just changing the guitar to 50s wiring and the orange drops was an improvement on the tone and feel of my PRS Singlecut. She plays like a great PRS with a WF neck with the heart and soul of a vintage Les Paul. Love this guitar!

17. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Senior Member

Cornell, Vitamin Q, Orange Drop

I've never heard of a Cornell, but it was nice.

18. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Member

kernelofwisdom, Thanks for all that cap comparison work you have done. I was always skeptical about the notion that caps changed or effected tone. It's quit obvious it does now that I can hear them one after another. I have the Jensen's in both Gibson's and I think they sound pretty good to my ears. I didn't hear very much difference between them and the Bumble Bee Repro's on your shoot out, maybe it's just my ears.

19. Diocletian

Diocletian Senior Member

Proving exactly what I've thought all along. Caps is caps, total waste of money upgrading them IMO. People suggesting a change of caps and wiring is better than a pickup upgrade make me laugh.

20. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

cap swap do make a difference... I do not trust how some test are carried out, though ... long thin wires, alligator clips, all those factors spoil the test to some extent.