New build. Single cut design.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skyjerk, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

Chris, who did you get the inlay from?

On a bridge note, I just noticed the Hipshot Tone a matic bridge today. It's lower profile than a standard ToM, and reasonably priced for the bridge and tailpiece. I may have to go with that on my next build.

As always, top quality work, my friend!

2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Thanks! I still have some details to wrap up on this guy.

Proper pickup rings. These are actually for another axe and dont fit perfectly.
    Unbleached bone nut, I still have to make one
    My usual inlayed trussrod cover with my logo in matching paua.

Lacquer (nitro), of course. Blue to black burst like the one I did for my son.

I get my inlays from DePaule (www.luthiersupply.com) because I'm too lazy to cut my own pearl. :)

[​IMG]

3. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

OK, work kind of ground to a halt for a couple weeks because the temp in my shop was unbearable AND it was a colossal mess.

Yesterday I spent a few hours and dealt with the mess, and did one thing
    on the guitar. The last thing before final sanding and finishing.

Truss rod cover...

As with my previous, its a nice piece of ebony with my logo inlaid. This time in paua abalone to match the fretboard.

Probably 2 weeks and ill shoot lacquer and then the obligatory wait for it to harden, then sand and buff. As I mentioned before, this will be a blue bursting to black. In the very center the blue will verge on aqua/turquoise.
    Should match the inlays really well.

Theres a slight gap here between the nut and cover. This is because the actual nut will be unbleached bone and its wider. It will fit that gap precisely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

Man, that abalone is killer. I can't wait to see some finish on this one!

5. Baylin

Baylin Senior Member

Chris, I don't believe that you enjoy guitar building, nope I think you only build stunning guitars out of a desperate need for compliments. :naughty:

Yep, you sir, are nothing but a guitar building attention whore! :laugh2:

That abalone is rather nice btw...

6. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Once I lost my youthful good looks I needed a different solution, then one day I accidentally stumbled upon The Luthiers Corner and an idea dawned on me....

7. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Chris,

Ha! After a boast like that, we all need to see proof of "youthful good looks" ...

:naughty:

cj

8. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

9. charisjapan

Well played, Chris. I won't argue the veracity of your claim here ... but admit that we ALL look more youthful with hair! :thumb:

Here's my "youthful good looks" pic ... supported strongly by my beautiful bride. Historical perspective: this was 1980, a few years after "Shogun" came out. On the way to our wedding in an MG Midget with the top down, a lot of folks thought that Richard Chamberlain had come to Yokohama, lol.

Again, great retort! :)

cj

[​IMG]

10. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

So you watched Shogun and immediately said "Thats it! I'm moving to Japan. Those women are gorgeous!!!"

I had a teacher in high school named Mariko that was pretty hot

11. charisjapan

Moved to Japan with my family when I was 12 years old, but yeah, my first thought WAS, "The girls are gorgeous!" After looking around, five years later I met THAT one, and made the right choice.

12. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

So, given the top color, I'm having trouble deciding on the color for the back and neck.

The one I just did for my son was opaque black and that looked great with the blue/black burst and cream binding
    (FYI this is getting a black burst as well) but I want to be able to see the wood (mahogany) on this one though so a transparent color.
    Darker though, not just the natural color. I cant visualize anything thats going to go well with the blue...

Maybe I'll just do black again, but....

My sons is at the bottom...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]