New build. Single cut design.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skyjerk, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Don't really care for firebirds :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

BTW Reedy, sorry for dismissing your suggestion with a single short sentence.

To be clear, the body shape doesnt appeal to me, nor does the raised strip through the middle of the body.

Just not my cup of tea, although I do see why you might think it was a good fit since I'm clearly a fan of the neck-through laminate thing :)

As a hobby builder at the moment, I get to focus my efforts solely on the ones that I personally like (which is why you havent seen a Tele build!).

Time is a very limiting factor for me and to allocate big chunks of it on builds I dont care for just wont happen, and thats not even mentioning the cost.

cheers!

2 people like this.
  3. reedy

reedy Senior Member

Hey Chris,
    No need to offer an apology. I certainly wasn't offended :) I can completely understand what you mean about time. I find that time, even more than money, is the limiting currency in my life. I suggested the build partially because it seemed like something you'd like giving it's construction but part of it was out interest on my part. But I don't see the point in building something that doesn't interest you, especially if you're not getting paid for it.

Hopefully I didn't offend bringing up the tele build, not intended if I did. Really, I would think twice about doing that build for the very reasons you give, time and interest.

Anyway, I'm a fan of your builds. I'm impressed how far you've come in such a few builds. You've definitely got me inspired to buy some tools and start with simple projects.

4. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Nope. Just made me realize I needed to come straight out and say I wasnt gonna do it :)

5. 45WinMag

45WinMag Senior Member

And crush all my hopes and dreams in the process. Why don't we have a crying smilie? Or a wallowing in desperation smilie?

1 person likes this.
  6. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Senior Member

this has been a great thread to go through.-thanx

1 person likes this.
  7. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

I was just re-reading the thread and saw this question. Somehow I missed it at the time.
    Sorry Corey.

The answer is in between the choices you offered. These are 25" scale length (ala PRS)

I've actually already started on a 3rd one of these which I'm doing at 24 3/4"
    note: Its an actual 24 3/4" as opposed to one of the several different scale lengths that Gibson calls 24 3/4"

I doubt I'll ever do one at 25 1/2 simply because one of the key features I wanted in this guitar is really fantastic access all the way to fret 22
    without having to carve away part of the inner curve of the bottom horn. a 25 1/2" scale length will move the 22nd fret in too far unless I hang more of the neck
    outside the body which from an aesthetic point of view I dont like

8. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Yeah i know. Was being a cheeky monkey. It was in response of another thread that we commented in haha.

Looking awesome once again

9. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Gah!

I hate making stupid mistakes!

Working on the 3rd one of these guitars last night I located and drilled the holes for the tailpiece.

Wrong bit.

This is a tonepros bridge and tailpiece. The tailpiece calls for a 27/64" hole for the bushing. Grabbed the bit and drilled the holes and guess what?

I should have worn my reading glasses. on the shank of the bit there doesnt seem to be much difference between 25/64 and 27/64

To make matters worse I then grabbed the right bit and chucked it in the drill press and it seems to be bent. The tip wabbles all over the place. Not gonna use it.

anyhoo, ill pick one up on my way home.

I'll chuck the smaller bit back in, guide it down into the existing hole and leave it in there while I clamp the axe down so it doesnt move. then I can back the bit out, replace the bit with the right one and re-drill it knowing that its still centered.

anyway, I stopped at that point since I need anew bit, so all I got done was
    to drill two holes the wrong size.

Good nights work ;)

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Love that top! I really like the mineral streaks. Great looking build. Too bad about the wrong bit. I've done it a couple of times now, but have I learned? Nope. Still don't have glasses. I borrowed my wife's hot pink readers a while back and she hasn't missed them yet. ;-)

Cheers Peter.

11. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

I bet they look gorgeous on you ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

That's what it's all about. If you're not good, you should at least look good! :cool:

Cheers Peter.

1 person likes this.
  13. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Well this one is as far as I can take it for now.

Still have to place the bridge, inlay the fretboard, install the frets, glue the fretboard on, and carve the neck.
    I'm on hold till the inlays arrive which will likely be another two weeks at least.

I'm pleased with this build on many levels. Mostly because from a construction perspective I feel there are no flaws. No screw-ups that I had to work around or resolve, and all the joints are cleaner and tighter owing to the fact I used my new planes and like my joints better :)

I'm also pleased because I looked back and compared the time it took me to get to this point to the time it took to get to the same point on my first LP build and its clear that I'm improving :)

I started that neck-through LP almost exactly 3 years ago July 15th. It took 6 weeks of evenings and weekends to get to this point, and one of those weeks was a vacation week in which I worked on it for 6 hours each day minimum.

This build it took me 2 weeks of just evenings and weekends to get to the same point and its arguably a better job. This isn't the same guitar, but it's similar enough that a direct comparison is perfectly reasonable. All the same features, and all the same steps.

Not that it really matters how long it takes. Nobody is waiting for this guitar except me. Its the end result that matters the most, but its nice to look back and see where I've improved and where I still need work.

I definitely still need work, but assuming something bad doesnt happen, I intend to keep on plugging :)

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  14. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

IMO these are going to look spectacular against the ebony with the blue burst on the body :)

They are finished and shipping from Viet Nam this week so it'll be probably 8 or 10 days, or however log it takes to get to Oregon, and then to PA,
    before I get them.

Cant wait :)

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  15. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Senior Member

oh dang Chris those look super nice. Especially like the "Addict".

16. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

OK, heres the first completed 22 Special :)

For some reason this color always looks more orange in photo's than it does to the eye. Lighting mostly I guess.

Actually I still have to re-fit the covers on the back. Lacquer made the recesses a touch smaller and they were a close fit to begin with...

I also swapped the bridge pickup, originally a Seymour Duncan Custom with a Seymour Duncan JB. The custom has a well scooped mid and the bridge
    pickup is almost 1/4" closer to the bridge than I originally intended. This has been rectified in my latest build, but due to that positioning
    the bridge pup sounded slightly "nasal". The JB has a much fuller mid sound and now it sounds great :)

I also had to switch tuning machines. I had Schallers on there originally, which have pretty low posts and appear to be made for a thinner headstock.
    Pre-lacquer the hole to feed the string through the post was protruding the top just barely enough to get the string through. The added thickness of the
    lacquer was just enough to make it impossible to feed the low E through. Fortunately I had a set of the Grovers on hand and that solved the problem.

On the plus side, I'm getting better at making nuts. This one looks great and works great, although it did take me a couple hours. Hopefully I'll speed that up
    as I make more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Senior Member

Sweet! It looks like you got the hang of that spinning thingy...

18. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Gorgeous!!

:cheers2:

19. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

That looks beautiful, Chris!

*Like* (for lack of a button)

And really matches the décor! Your wife will probably want to mount it on the wall. :thumb:

Cheers!

cj

20. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Yeah, thanks! I'm afraid in this case the decor is not up to her ;)