New build. Single cut design.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skyjerk, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

So I'm starting a new build this weekend. It's not another Strat :)

This will be a single cut design. Clearly inspired by the Les Paul, but not a Les Paul.

I haven't made one of these yet so I'll be making this a build thread.

It will have many of the appointments of an LP, but the shape has been modified
    more to my liking.

It'll be neck-through three piece multi laminate neck with carbon fiber rods
    Because I like to do that :)

It will be a 25" scale length, 22 stainless frets, rosewood fretboard.
    2 volume, one tone, 3 position toggle pickup selector toggle in the usual location, and two mini toggles (one for each pickup) that will let me run them in series, parallel, or split.

Mother-of-pearl trapezoid inlays

It will have a Bolivian mahogany neck and back and a carved, book matched, Angel step quilt maple top, TOM bridge, body and fretboard binding

Color is yet to be determined.

I'll be making two of them, actually. One is for my other son (the one that didn't get the Strat)

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  2. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Very cool. Have you thought about top wrapping the strings. I've done that on two builds and i love the result.

im guessing with the angel step you will want it to really pop. And im guessing you have saved some killer pieces for yourself

3. Skyjerk

On the top wrapping, while some seem to really like that, I don't really care for the look

On the Angel step, Yup :)

This 1/4" drop top for my 7-string came from the same billet, but I actually bought that for this build. It was thick enough for a full 5/8 thickness top AND a drop top for the 7-string.

[​IMG]

14 people like this.
  4. emoney

emoney Senior Member

Dammit, Chris! I don't know what you use for your pics but I can never see them from my
    work computer. Some type of firewall I guess.

Oh well...I'm sure it's cool. Carry on.

5. Skyjerk

They are posted on my own website. Addict Guitars | Custom hand made guitars

I find its actually blocked from my office as well because whatever firewall they are using at my office classifies is as a "music" site, and I guess they think music is a bad thing :)

6. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Yeah it looks like another killer piece. Top wrapping does look untidy but i think it adds to the sound.
    my last couple of builds with TOMs and stop tail pieces sustain really well. On my last build though i have to top wrap due to bad planning. But thats ok i dont mind the results.
    Given its only a pack of strings
    if at the end of the day you dont like it its easy to change back

7. Skyjerk

When you say that top wrapping adds to the sound, what exactly do you mean?

From a "physics of how guitars work" perspective I dont see how this could have any effect on the sound at all. All it really does that I can see is change the break angle over the saddles. I would think less break angle over the saddles would decrease sustain
    by allowing the strings more freedom to move over the saddle. This could also impact how far you have to bend a string to reach your pitch depending on whether its stretching from the nut to the saddle or from the nut to the tailpiece...

8. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

I like the headstock!

9. Skyjerk

Thanks. I took the design I used on my 24 Magnum builds and just made it a bit wider.

I tried some variations that would allow me to go straight to the tuner post on all 6
    strings without any angle, but didnt like any of the results as they moved too far from the Magnum headstock shape (which I wanted to keep) in order to make it work.

As it is, the E, A, B, and E strings go straight to the posts, and the D and G have very little change in angle over the nut so all in all I'm quite happy with the result.

10. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

I've got a new single cut design in the works too...based on the Mechanix Illustrated build your own guitar article. It's a tad smaller than the LP body with different bout and horn ratios.

1 person likes this.
  11. Skyjerk

Do a build thread and post some pix :)

12. Skyjerk

Actually I've now decided on a color, and yes it will have a matching body/headstock :)

I'm going to try to replicate this orange to black burst:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  13. emoney

emoney Senior Member

Yeah, that's blocked too, dang it. I'll have to wait until I'm home in front of
    my laptop. But I can see the Carvin example you posted it. I like the idea of
    that guitar, btw. A bigger, LP shape but in a semi-hollow. I'm still rolling around
    a true semi-hollow designe because I really, really want to get the pure acoustic
    tone, but also be able to get a driven humbucker sound out of it. I'm a church
    musician and the need is definitely there.

14. Skyjerk

The dumb thing is that the carvin example is also on my same server. the only difference is the domain name. I have several websites, all on the same physical server and IP address, but they have different domain names.

The carvin example is on a website with the domain name sound-hole.net which is apparently OK with corporate content filtering firewalls.

Just so you dont get too frustrated Ive put a couple pix from the one onto the other, so you should be able to see these ones.

Heres the design for my single cut, and below that a photo of the block of wood I'll be using for the top...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. Baylin

Baylin Senior Member

Thought you were building a guitar fella. That just looks so sweet it's got to be a lollipop! :thumb:

Is it going to be hollow like in the rendering?

16. Skyjerk

You dont see my black/white line drawing design shot ?

The lollipop is just shown as an example of the color I'm thinking of using. Mine will not be a holow or semi-hollow build :)

17. Baylin

Baylin Senior Member

Yeah I did see the outline, I quite like it but dang I want a hollow lollipop now! :laugh2:

18. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

i don't know how, maybe it was just the combination of everything together to make them sound like it, all i know is its worth a try and if you dont like dont do it i guess.

and don't mind my second post here, it was about 2 in the morning and i just checked in on luthier's corner because i have a problem, i just find myself clicking away on this forum way too much.

1 person likes this.
  19. Skyjerk

One should expect a discount for a hollow lollipop since its missing all that candy in the middle :D

1 person likes this.
  20. Skyjerk

LOL. I welcome all opinions even if I go a different direction. I wouldnt even have one direction if not for this forum and its members :)

Post as many times as you like!