New and clueless needing some guidance.

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Johnny Wins, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Johnny Wins

Johnny Wins Junior Member

Hello all

My 11 year old son has been playing guitar for a couple of years, i happen to think he's pretty good and has been dreaming of owning a Les Paul.

Well, while in a music store a guy came in with a bubble wrapped package, handed it to the store owner in exchange for £50 and at the mention of 'Les Paul' i took £60 from my wallet and took it out of the shop. Transpires it was a 98 studio with a broken headstock and in very poor general condition. It had got damp at some stage in my opinion. Shame on the owner frankly.

I'm a toolmaker by trade so after viewing much on this forum about repair i was confident of doing a sound repair and having just taken stock of some mahogany am about to machine in the splints and re-form the neck. The initial gluing was tough as i had alignment issues under clamping so decided to superglue the joint (don't panic), build a jig around the guitar, break the joint (easy) clean, load up the jig and fix with titebond. So far so good. I have a tonne of pics and will upload them at the end.

Today i am the General Manager of a paint shop so no concern with making it look the part, my problem is understanding the guitar :)and i need some help because i've never played guitar in my life but i am very confident i can get it together.

So, my Son became hooked when he was 8 after spending a couple of hours on my shoulders at an AC/DC concert. He has a Takamine acoustic and a Fender Electric and my aim is get the Les Paul running by the end of November for his birthday.

The condition of the guitar meant i didn't have the opportunity to hear it play so the question i have right now is what are the 3 switch positions in relation to the bridge and neck pick ups on a standard set up?

I plan on adding a 57 classic and classic plus along with a Ghost Peizo as he is a Lindsay Buckingham fan (he wants a Rick Turner model 1 but that isn't going to happen any time soon) and i'll probably use Guitar Electronics for a custom wiring diagram as 30 dollars seems reasonable.

That's about the long and the long of it and i'm grateful for the communities guidance. I'm sure there will be other questions to follow.

2. Ascan

Ascan Senior Member

Wow, sounds like your son is going to be getting a great birthday present. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Standard set-up for the pick-up selector is when the switch position is up, the neck pick-up is engaged. When it is in the middle, the neck and bridge pick-ups are engaged. When it is down, the bridge pick-up is engaged.

ps welcome to the forum!

3. 02589

02589 Senior Member

You won't have to research very long to find the wiring diagrams.

4. what-a-cool-username

what-a-cool-username Senior Member

Adopt me please? :D

4 people like this.
  5. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

This has the potential to be a VERY cool thread.... :cool:

Your boy is lucky to have a dad like you. I salute you sir. :thumb:

B.

3 people like this.
  6. Johnny Wins

Aw shucks guys - thanks. I spent my early years desperate to race karts and i never got the opportunity. I just want to keep the fire in his belly - make the man so to speak.

Ascan, much appreciated.

I'll keep adding to the thread as i progress and really appreciate you all keeping me on the right track.

7. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

Johnny, Welcome to MLP. :thumb:

To clarify Ascan's info just in case, the bridge pickup is the one closest to the tail end of the guitar and the neck pickup is closest to the neck.

Very interesting project. Please keep us informed on the progress with plenty of pics. There are many here who build and repair guitars for a living/hobby. You should be able to find all the help and info you need.

Good luck and your son's a lucky kid. :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  8. Johnny Wins

1 person likes this.
  9. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

Hard to tell in that pic if the headstock veneer is damaged as well. If so, you can get one here if you need one; Croxguitars Headstock overlays

They have the waterslide Les Paul Model decal too.

10. Johnny Wins

Good day Brian. The veneer is damaged and i've since removed it. Removing it allowed the headstock to come away fully from the neck to give me best chance of cleaning it. Thanks for the link.

11. Marshall Arts

Marshall Arts Senior Member

I guess a young boy will be very happy in near future.
    You're a great dad!
    57 classics are some very good humbuckers. I have three of them in my LP Custom.

And here's the schematic for the guitar.
    http://www.gibson.com/Files/schematics/lespaul2.gif

Or a "simplified" one from Stewmac
    [​IMG]

And that's another great shop for guitar parts by the way.
    http://www.stewmac.com/

12. Johnny Wins

Thank so much type0

13. Marshall Arts

Marshall Arts Senior Member

You're welcome, Johnny. :thumb:

14. Roman4405

Roman4405 Senior Member

That's a pretty damn cool gift, I'm sure your kid will live it and the fact that you're rebuilding it will add some sentimental value.

If you don't want to do the wiring you could always go with a wiring harness, members here make them. I've been thinking if replacing the stock one in my Studio with a 50's wiring harnes from Jonesy.

15. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  16. skysmash

skysmash Senior Member

Wow you sound like a really cool dad!
    I can't really offer anymore information that others here haven't said, although I would recommend reading some of the threads in the custom shop section, as that area deals more directly with the subject here.

I wish you all the best with your project, and want you to know your son is a lucky lad!

1 person likes this.
  17. Johnny Wins

Thanks Skysmash

18. Johnny Wins

Thanks Roman. Tell me, why would you replace your stock wiring with a new harness - what's the gain?

19. Lebo

Lebo Senior Member

nice, you'll make him happy

20. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Cool, Johnny, and welcome to the forum.