New Amp Day...MGL20 Goodness!!!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by NHTom, Nov 29, 2017.

1. NHTom

NHTom Senior Member

So I picked up my new Marks Guitar Loft Amp Works MGL20 last night.........

[​IMG]

Since I do everything backwards, I'll start at the bottom and work my way up........

The Cabinet.......
    2x12 with Celestion re-issue greenbacks. Closed back, single strap style handle wired at 16 ohms. Mark has Swanson cabinets building these and I got to see a couple in progress....beautiful tolex work, great components and attention to detail. Built like the proverbial brick sh*t house. It sounds MASSIVE for a 2x12. The next time a need a cabinet for anything, Swanson will get the call.

The Amp........
    This is where the drooling starts..........This is a 20 watt (a bit over actually) version of Marks MGL50 amp. Check Mark's web site for all the spec's. Here's what I can say about it-if you like anywhere from AC/DC to ZZTop style classic rock crunch and grit, you would love this thing. With gain around half, it has an awesome classic crunch with a nice full bottom end that stays there even into the lower volume settings. With all the eq setting in the 4-6 range and the gain around 7, this thing is heaven. The part that keeps blowing me away is the fact that at those settings, it sounds huge and still has tons of room left to go. Don't let my mentions of classic crunch scare you, this thing has tons of gain on tap. Would easily do 80's metal and sound great doing it.
    One of my favorite parts is that individual string definition is great and the amp is very responsive to both picking dynamics and the guitar's volume control. It takes subtle Mike Campbell type picking with perfect clarity, and with just changing your picking you can spank Angus/Malcom chords and it begs for more.
    Very simple layout. Power and standby switches, Presence, bass, mid, treble, master and pre. Single input. 4, 8, and 16 ohm speaker jacks on the back. You can get it with a loop, but I'm really only a little reverb/clean boost kind of guy, so I opted to keep it as simple as possible.

Much like the cabinet, these are spec'd with high end components and it shows.

My R8 LOVES this amp.........
    [​IMG]

I will also say that Mark is great to deal with. His attention to detail and customer service are top notch.

NHTom

2. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

One you go boutique, you will not go back to anything else...Congrats on the new amp...

NHTom likes this.
  3. NHTom

NHTom Senior Member

Yes, anything that sounds this good is bound to become an addiction........

4. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Congratulations! Those are sweet amps. I was blown away by the videos I heard. Enjoy!

needlespauls likes this.
  5. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Yup. Clip 3 or 4 playing “Shake Me”

6. NHTom

NHTom Senior Member

It is amazing. Cleans up great for a warm Tele sound. Loves grit with P90. Roars with hums. Really loving it!

7. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

NICE,. VERY NICE. I luv me dem tube amps!

Sweet R8 to go along.

8. NHTom

NHTom Senior Member

Thanks!!! The R8 came from Mark's also, so they must have been meant to be together.

NHTom