New Amp Day, Marshall Bluesbreaker!!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by BluesBreaker78, Aug 18, 2017.

1. BluesBreaker78

BluesBreaker78 Member

Hey all,

Just picked up a used Marshall Bluesbreaker reissue, 2005 model. :dude: Wow, amazing sounding amp! I had never played one before and was a bit of a spontaneous purchase but it came up on ebay and was close to me so i could go pick it up, actually the seller met me 10 minutes from my house.

Just plugged it in and played it with my les paul and both my strats and it sounds fantastic! Such a warm sound and the low end is incredible. With the presence turned quite high and the mids scooped you can get fendery glassy cleans which I really wasn't expecting.

I'm planning to buy an attenuator so I can play it at home but I'm actually really surprised how good it sounds at low volume. And it works great with pedals, at volume 2 and with my mojo mojo overdrive it sounds great, and it's really not that loud.

The thing that I have noticed most of all though is the feel, it just makes my guitars feel so different, slinkier somehow and just so touch sensitive, really amazing! It's definitely my main amp now and will likely have it for life.

I tried cranking it but it's currently in my 10 foot by 6 foot garden office and it almost blew the walls apart haha. I was sitting about 3 feet from the amp and the sound reverberating through my chest was just insane. Definitely need an attenuator!! Oh and everything they say about the weight is true, nearly broke my back carrying it from the car to the end of the garden.

It has obviuously been gigged a lot, it's in pretty tatty condition, the tolex is ripped and scuffed at the corners and there's a tear in the grill cloth, but when it sounds this good I really don't care. Plus it just adds to the mojo in my eyes. Here's a pic (my guitar is covering up the tear!)

[​IMG]

studio1087, ktj, dc007 and 18 others like this.
  2. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

Congratulations! What a great amp! Can't go wrong with a real Marshall bluesbreaker.

bulletproof and BluesBreaker78 like this.
  3. BluesBreaker78

BluesBreaker78 Member

Thanks! I've always fancied one just finally pulled the trigger and so glad I did :)

bulletproof likes this.
  4. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Congratulations!

Nice flashing of your guitar too!
    :thumb:

That's quite a picture.

5. BluesBreaker78

BluesBreaker78 Member

Thanks Bobby! :)

bulletproof likes this.
  6. Jamie_h

Jamie_h Member

Nice amp and pic!!!

7. BluesBreaker78

BluesBreaker78 Member

Thanks Jamie :thumb:

bulletproof likes this.
  8. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Marshall Bluesbreaker and plain top Honeyburst Les Paul ... you, sir, have class. :thumb:

9. BluesBreaker78

BluesBreaker78 Member

Haha thanks man, it is a sweet combination :)

bulletproof likes this.
  10. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Yeah you can. Those things are too heavy for my old back. Probably sounds great though.

bulletproof likes this.
  11. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Congrats, I've owned two of the handwired versions. One I bought used and the second new. Probably one of the best sounding Marshalls that I've owned. Recently sold my 1962hw. Just more amp (volume wise) than I needed.

Enjoy.

bulletproof likes this.
  12. jojo

jojo Senior Member

Grats !!! Those rule !

13. BluesBreaker78

BluesBreaker78 Member

Well I don;t know how old you are but I'm 39 and I killed my back carrying it about 20 meters! Does sound great though :)

bulletproof likes this.
  14. BluesBreaker78

BluesBreaker78 Member

Thanks! Would love to try the hw version and see how it compares. Have you played the normal 62 resissue like mine? Not surprised about the volume, i think the hw version probably puts out more volume due to the p2p wiring - and mine isn't exactly quiet! ;)

bulletproof likes this.
  15. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I got an AC30 when I was 50, sounds amazing, weighs 80 pounds. I'm 65 now, I don't even think of moving that beast. I know that the Bluesbreaker amp weighs the same. At least the AC30 has handles on both ends as well so two people can move it.

16. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Outstanding,brother!!! Cant go wrong with a Bluesbreaker!!! :applause::applause::applause:

17. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

I never got a chance to try the RI version. Curious about the differences myself.

I even bought a Rivera Rockcrusher attenuator to use with my 1962hw, the 1962hw still had to be way too loud to overdrive and I never found an OD pedal that I liked with it. I spent way too much money trying to the right pedal (A J-Rocket Klone type pedal seemed to work the best to use with this amp).

I finally gave up on the BB and recently bought a close-out Marshall Astoria Custom Combo. After a trip back to the local authorize Marshall repair shop with the Astoria (for a new set of new KT66's), the amp is working out pretty well, volume and tone wise with my newly formed band.

FYI, a Powerstation is probably the best attenuator for this amp, but big bucks...

Congrats. Love to try your amp and compare with the HW version.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  18. BluesBreaker78

BluesBreaker78 Member

Yeah I never understood why the bluesbreaker doesn't have two handles, it definitely needs it!

bulletproof likes this.
  19. BluesBreaker78

BluesBreaker78 Member

Thanks bulletproof :D

bulletproof likes this.
  20. BluesBreaker78

BluesBreaker78 Member

Thanks Gridlock, interesting to hear your experience with the hw version. And thanks for the attenuator suggestion, I'll look into that. Do you happen to know of any others that are cheaper but still work well with this amp? I've gone and blown all my available funds for the time being on this amp and a new guitar!!

I'll also look into the pedal you mentioned. At the moment I'm using a tc electronic mojomojo which is working well at fairly low volumes. I really love this pedal, it seems to work well with any amp that I try it with and it's not expensive.

I've not played or heard the Astoria models in person but from what I've seen on YT they look and sound great!

Gridlock and bulletproof like this.