New Amp Day - JVM210H

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by novafx4, Aug 22, 2017.

1. novafx4

novafx4 Senior Member

Sitting here (not so) patiently waiting on the Fedex guy to show up. My new JVM210H has been in "out for delivery" status since 7 am. I feel like a little kid on Christmas eve waiting for him to arrive.

Guitar Rod likes this.
  2. novafx4

novafx4 Senior Member

...and just got an email from Fedex saying it will now be delivered tomorrow. :mad:

3. novafx4

novafx4 Senior Member

Late breaking news, it has arrived. Turn that frown upside down. :D

I'll take it to our rehearsal room tomorrow and give it a workout.

[​IMG]

Guitar Rod and bulletproof like this.
  4. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Outstanding!!!!! :applause::applause::applause:

5. ryanmichael95

ryanmichael95 Senior Member

Sweet, these amps really intrigue me but I've yet to play one.

bulletproof likes this.
  6. novafx4

novafx4 Senior Member

I got it set up last night for rehearsal and am in the process of getting it dialed in. My first impression is favorable and it sounds good with my 2013 Trad plugged straight in. It's definitely different than my Blackstar that this JVM replaced. I'm confident that once I get this dialed in that I'm going to really like it.

I didn't have my GT-100 connected last night but I'll give it a go this evening and see how the effects loop works. I also need to get the foot switch that came included with the amp programmed. Our other guitarist and I spent a few minutes after rehearsal playing around with the settings but didn't save anything to the switch. I also took a pic of the amp on top of the cabinet last night but didn't bother trying to make a post here with my phone. I'll post the pic later today when I get home from work.

7. novafx4

novafx4 Senior Member

As promised, here's a craptacular cell phone pic of my new JVM sitting on my 1960A cabinet in our cramped little rehearsal room.

[​IMG]

Guitar Rod and Bubba Z like this.
  8. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Senior Member

See what power tubes came in that guy.

I demoed 2 JVM 205's (Kept the best one). One came with JJ EL34's, thought cool...sounds pretty good.
    Tried the second that came with Tung Sol El34's, Whoa...that's what I'm Talkin' about!
    The Tung Sols absolutely blew the JJs away.
    It also seemed that my amps preferred a cooler bias setting ~31-32mv. Just sounded "tighter."

*As a side note I already Have a JVM 410 and run JJ KT77's that guy.

Three very worthwhile mods to wake this amp up:
    1 & 2) Variable control Negative Feedback Mod & Bright cap defeat (I used a 250k push-pull pot and use the switch for the bright cap mod). The Negative Feedback mod makes the most profound affect!
    2) Add a choke.

Also, I tried a few current production EL43's (and their variants) I'll rank from favorable to least:
    1) JJ KT77's (Haven't tried another brand of KT77s, but these are great)
    2) Tung Sol EL34B (Very Good EL34)
    3) SED Winged C (Everyone raves about these, they're Ok, but I don't get the wow factor)
    4) JJ EL34 (Ok, but there are lots that are better)
    5) Electro Harmonic 6CA7 (total waste of time...maybe I had a bad set but these were...just bad)

I have seen lots of positive reviews on the Sino EL34s...

9. novafx4

novafx4 Senior Member

I've read up on these mods and may give them a shot somewhere down the road. I have a background in electronic repair and it looks like the hardest part of the process is getting to the PC board.