New Amp Build: V2 Caldera

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by V2, Mar 6, 2016.

1. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

A new 50w V2 Caldera was born today. Here's the essential info:

Tube Compliment:
    2 x EL34s, 3 x 12AX7

Class:
    AB push-pull with adjustable fixed bias. Individual bias jacks and adjustment pots per power tube.

EQ and volume:
    Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence, bright switch, pre-amp gain and master volume.

Topology:
    Single-channel with lower- and higher-gain modes accessible by front-panel switch. All-tube signal path (no diodes used for distortion). Sonically, the tones are in the 'modern M*rshall' camp.

FX Loop:
    Optional Metro FX loop

Other:
    Solid-state rectifier, world's greatest standby switch (that is, there is no standby switch).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ac/dcfan87, JCarno, GeeJay and 19 others like this.
  2. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Outstanding! Is that black tweed or tolex?

2 people like this.
  3. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

+ 1, :thumb: :applause:

I've been following V2 for a few months now.

Love the clean look of these Cabs / Chassis.

Always nice to see something fresh & a little different.

Oozes vibe & quality IMHO.

Would love to hear one in the flesh.

:cheers2:

3 people like this.
  4. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

It's tolex with a carbon fibre pattern.

I do have one black tweed head cab, but I think I'll stick to the carbon fibre tolex for a while...

1 person likes this.
  5. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

Thanks for the positive feedback. I did try to do some things differently, both inside the chassis and on the outside. For example, I chose a LED for the pilot instead of the usual Marshall-style square pilot because I thought it might be a bit more modern looking.

2 people like this.
  6. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

That makes sense, certainly has that Carbon Fiber vibe about it.

Any YouTube or Demo Clips on these?

Dare I ask the question, but what does this compare to in the 'modded" arena?

:cheers2:

1 person likes this.
  7. guitar-rocker

guitar-rocker Senior Member

Love the cosmetics, and I'm sure it is an outstanding amp too. I use the carbon fiber on the cabinet front panel on my amps, like the texture.

1 person likes this.
  8. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

I love the look of this amp. It's looks very clean IMO and exudes the feeling of a quality product. Seems like you've been doing some cool stuff. I check out your FB page every now and again. Looks like another good one!

1 person likes this.
  9. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

No clips yet, and I probably won't get to making any for another month unfortunately.

The Caldera grew out of the V2 'JJM18', which was documented here a while ago. The original intent was to add a low-gain mode. Some early inspiration for that came from amps like the Top Hat Emplexador and Fargen that had a 'Plexi' setting and a 'JCM' setting (or 70s and 80s settings, respectively). But this amp has more distortion on tap in the higher-gain mode than either of those amps. There are a few 'boutique' amps in the $2500+ range that cover similar sonic ground. :)

3 people like this.
  10. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

Wow, thanks R! It's taking me quite a bit of time to develop these amps since I have limited time these days. But anything worth doing is worth doing right. And I think I'll be able to bang off another small batch of these 50W amps (Caldera and hopefully the Denogginzer) later in the year...

11. caljoe

caljoe Senior Member

Love love love the looks of those cabinets John and your V2 badge is really cool with the speaker in there.

2 people like this.
  12. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

John, that looks beautiful! I'll also chime in on the cab, it's very clean and badass looking.

I bet that amp gets loud!

1 person likes this.
  13. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

It does indeed get loud, Matt. Extra loud at the moment because I have yet to wire in the negative feedback look to rein in the power amp...

3 people like this.
  14. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Member

I really love the look. Spec-wise, it appears to be a sonic monster. Looking forward to hearing sound clips when you get enough time to make a few.

1 person likes this.
  15. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

Decent sound clips are still at least a month away. In the meantime, here is a photo of the Caldera and its sibling up on the bench.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  16. phaezamp

phaezamp Senior Member

Very impressive (and inspiring!)

4 people like this.
  17. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

Thanks Randy. Much appreciated.

Other than a few tweaks to fine-tune everything, the basic build is done (sans optional FX loop and back-panel bottom switch; might add them later). It sounds HUGE! Goes from clean to mean to scream all on one channel (thanks to the mode and punch switches).

3 people like this.
  18. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Hey John, can you please give us an ~ example of the above; i.e. what type of Clean.........JTM45 or Bassman or Twin etc.?

What type of Mean; e.g. '68 Plexi?

What type of Scream; e.g. BE100 but which position etc.?

Just trying to get an ~ feel for what you are talking about, if that makes sense.

Also, I would imagine you can adjust that up or down re gain by Preamp Tube selection.

Lastly, have you by any chance ever tried any NOS EL34's; e.g. NOS Siemans. Just wondering?

Thanks.

Cheers, Rudi

1 person likes this.
  19. V2

V2 V.I.P. Member

I'm a bit hesitant to link the various settings to iconic Marshalls (hence I say 'lower-gain mode' rather than 'plexi setting'), because I didn't try to clone any of those amps. The power supply, rectifier, etc. were not based on any single amp in particular. Having said that, I do think that the tones are in the Marshall camp. The low-gain mode is kinda like a single channel of a Plexi (no parallel inputs), and by flipping the punch switch to the 'off' position, you can clean it up a bit more.

The high gain mode has no diodes, and it doesn't have the extra gain of a 'HBE'. But it probably gets pretty close to the BE and other "hot-rodded JCM" circuits.

I haven't tried anything in the preamp other than my test tubes (old sovteks 12AX7s). Currently I have JJ EL34s in the power amp, but I think it'll take KT77, and even 6L6 (the latter to be determined).

Cheers!
    John

20. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

Let's see....
    From Portland to Vancouver, BC is about 5 hours by car.
    With a quick stop for a cavity search and Passport check at the border, I can be there by 12:00 noon-ish.

I expect to you to have this baby warmed up, and a sandwich and beer ready for my arrival.
    :fingersx:

:laugh2:

I can't wait to hear this one, sounds like my kind of amp! :thumb:

4 people like this.