*new Alligatorbling AstroCat RangeMaster day!

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by mdubya, May 2, 2017.

1. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I finally have a 'Bling pedal! I have played a couple of 'Bling Fuzzes over the years and should have bought one on principle alone. But when Ryan announced he was building a RangeMaster at a ridiculously affordable price, it was a no brainer.

This custom painted little box arrived in a purple velvet bag. Recent shuffling of my travel rig meant I am a little off my game, still trying to get up to speed on my new AX8 rig. No matter, I had been running my trusty old Maestro MFZ-1 into the AX8 for some baseline familiarity. I plugged the 'Bling RangeMaster in place of the Maestro and it was instantly at home and doing everything I had hoped it would do; from subtle boosts of over drive to uniquely "over the cliff" blasts of psychedelic meltdown, all while behaving to the volume pot input on the guitar. So much fun.

I will try to post some basic sound clip examples when I have the chance to do so.

In the meantime, if you have been thinking about a classic Treble Booster, our own AstroCat is building a great one at a great price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With approval from Caturson J. Cat AKA Mooch

[​IMG]

2. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

You really nailed it with this one. One knob, no fuss. It does cool things with just about everything I ask of it.

It is making me want to play Brian May like a mofo. :shock: Now I need a talent booster. :eek2:

4. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Clips when possible

5. Alligatorbling

^ its some links to sound clips in my signature. My playing is lack luster as I havent practiced like I should in a very long time... it does give you an idea of the box though. One uses an OC44, the other uses a MP16B / МП16Б, which is a 2N404 equivalent. mdubya got one of the OC44 builds. I demo both of the builds in the links.

I really like this pedal, mine stays on my board and is on a LOT of the time, it sounds fantastic in front of my Vox AC4TV.

Id love to hear clips from folks that bought one. Im sure your playing is a bit better than mine lol.

Frogfur, cooljuk, bulletproof and 3 others like this.
  6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I am working on it. I am mostly playing through headphones right now and don't have a good speaker setup. I hope I have something worthy of sound clips, soon.

bulletproof, Alligatorbling and Who like this.
  7. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

OK, 4 quick and dirty clips, through a not so great powered speaker. Using AX8 and JTM45 and Suhr Badger 18 models. You can hear me click the pedal on and off and hear the tone get a little louder with more sustain and character. Also using the Firebird.

Clip 1 - neck p/u

http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=13567981&q=hi

Clip 2 - neck p/u

http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=13567982&q=hi

Clip 3 - bridge p/u

http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=13567983&q=hi

Clip 4 - bridge p/u

http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=13567984&q=hi

These clips probably aren't going to sell any pedals. :oops:

8. Alligatorbling

^ awesome!

bulletproof, Rich and mdubya like this.
  9. Alligatorbling

here is some more. im playing a strat with a crunchy pat GFS humbucker bridge position. Mdubya's playing is a little more pleasing to the ear than mine though. lol

10. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

11. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

Sounds GREAT, dub! :thumb:

12. Alligatorbling

bulletproof, Rich and mdubya like this.
  13. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I can dig it! In fact, I DO dig it...

I finally got a chance to test my new astro pedal into a Swart AST today, and I quite liked it. sounds like Mdubs, a little midrange shift, and sustain for days! so much fun times! and with the boost turned down, it gets my SG classic into an almost stratty spot, with that midrange shift :cool:

sightly off topic, but I love that you're running it into a modeler. My kemper dosen't like front end boost too much, unfortunately. it seems to like the AX8 though!

14. Alligatorbling

i am so glad to hear everyone is enjoying them!

bulletproof and mdubya like this.
  15. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

It really kicks booty with the AX8. I love it and love both, together. :dude:

bulletproof and Alligatorbling like this.
  16. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I had to open up the 'Bling Master pedal for a battery tonight.

Obligatory photo of Bling's sig, OC44 transistor, and cat sticker inside.

[​IMG]

This is still my #1 pedal. I use it ALL the time. And it still works great with the AX8, both of which I got within a few days of each other. There is something about the funky old germanium analog technology mated to the digital tech that just makes everything great. I was rocking it through a 65 Bassman model tonight with Maestro Fuzz, too. All kinds of funky old tones coming out of a digital modeler. :lol: :dude: :hippie:

Little CME demo of an original RangeMaster.

bulletproof, Who and Alligatorbling like this.
  17. Alligatorbling

I am so glad to hear you are enjoying it!!!!

mdubya, bulletproof and Who like this.
  18. freak

freak Senior Member

so......what exactly is it? A pedal for solo boost? You could use it as that?

mdubya and bulletproof like this.
  19. Alligatorbling

The simple answer is its a treble booster. ... and yes it could be used for a solo boost as when on it really makes your guitar cut through the mix.

Frogfur, mdubya and bulletproof like this.
  20. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

^^^ As 'blings says.

It is part of what gave/gives Tony Iommi and Brian May their unique tones.

My basic signal chain for many years was Fender Clean or Marshall low gain Malcolm Young crunch > fuzz for Sabbath or Jimi or Grunge rhythm > Tube Screamer (tone and drive at 9 0'clock, volume above unity) for lead boosts.

Now take the TS out, and add in the Treble Booster. The TB gives your lead tone that kick in the pants, but does so with a germanium rich, fuzzy, vintage, upper harmonic, something special.

It also helps a straight Marshall dirty tone go into new territory for leads. I find when I roll down the volume the tone stays much more trebly, too.

It's a great pedal if you are always looking to make your tone sound more vintage, as I am.

Combine the TB with a Phaser or RotoVibe and fuzz to really get into that Jimi Star Spangled Banner tone territory.

It reminds me a bit of what the Solo Dallas Schaffer Replica does, too. Although they are plenty different, each does something special that a regular boost or OD can't or doesn't do.

freak and Alligatorbling like this.