New Ace Frehley Gibson Les Paul may be coming soon

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by JimmyAce2006, Apr 14, 2009.

1. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

Just got off the phone with Ace's assistant. He told me that he and Ace will be meeting with Gibson to design two new Ace guitars due out later this year or next year.

One of them will probably be the silver sparkle blue burst that he played at the VH1 rock honors. I asked him if it would have the dark trim / dark pups like he played or if it would be more like the Epi with creme trim. He did not know & said all of that is still to be worked out.

He said the other one could be a t-burst, maybe a 70s reissue / throw back. I told him he needed to have them use the medium 70s neck profile instead of the round ones they put on the 300 Aces in 1997. He said he wants to hear that sort of input.

So while I am at it, I think I will ask him to make it a VOS with flatter frets (more like 70s frets although Ace always changed them to giant lincoln log frets). And it would be nice to see them put some more correct tuner buttons on those Grovers, like rectangular - the way his Pat. Pend. tuners were. I will not say anything about the lightning inlays or the Ace face for fear of insulting him. But I prefer the trapezoid (LP Deluxe or Standard) or block inlays (LP Custom) on the fret board and Les Paul silk screen (Deluxe / Standard) or diamond inlays (Custom) on the head.

It would be cool if it was a smoker t-burst, but I don't see that happening!

I think they want the release of the new guitar(s) to be about the same time as his new tour starting towards the end of the summer; the new CD comes out at the end of June / early July. but it could take longer to get the right guitar developed.

2. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

Cool. Too bad the Tobacco will cost too much. I'll just make my own. :laugh2:

3. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Hmmm....Well, that's cool....I suppose a few rich guys out there might be able to actually afford one of those.

4. JimmyAce2006

How much could they possibly cost? I am sure they will not be cheap. But I am thinking $5-6K. But who knows.

5. Boleskinehouse

Plus, it would have to playable and flat frets ain't gonna cut it. Even if they're 5-6k, I could still make my own for cheaper and I don't care so much about super accuracy. Hell, I can take the guard off of my R8 and be just about there anyway.

I just don't really understand signature guitars... They will be nice to look at and that's about it for me.

He could go the Slash or Iommi route and authorize an affordable USA version, but I don't see that happening. I think he could move a lot of Tobaccos that way so long as it doesn't have lightening bolts and other silly stuff all over it.

The blueburst is just bewildering to me.. To each their own. :laugh2:

6. jco.1

jco.1 Senior Member

Cool; thanks for posting the info on the guitars and the album.

7. jco.1

jco.1 Senior Member

+1 on the tuners; if he really is taking suggestions, how about period correct Super Distortions and worn inlays at the 7th and 15th frets? I won't even bother with the shaved heel. Possibly a darkback? :naughty:

8. Boleskinehouse

And either lacquer over or inlay a star on the headstock. Inlaid would be cool. And they'd have to route it for minis and then route it again for full sized buckers, getting the neck pup too close to the neck. :laugh2:

9. Boleskinehouse

They could even use the shaved heel from the Axcess. If they're going to copy #1, they might as well go all out. :laugh2: The only problem is the guitar doesn't exist in that guise anymore.. They can't study it like Page's.

10. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

cool man

11. HeadCase

HeadCase Senior Member

A new CD and tour?
    I'd pony up for that!
    I also wouldn't mind seeing a new Ace Sig.
    (just not a "Rock Honors" burst).

I can't see Norlin specs happening...

JimmyAce2006,
    thanks for the 411!

12. Guitarfreak4

Guitarfreak4 Senior Member

But you already did :laugh2:

13. JimmyAce2006

slash/ace (on this forum) owns that guitar. it is a black double cut (also verified by Ace's assistant; he asked Ace & Ace told him to tell slash/ace it was Ace's guitar). slash/ace could let Gibson measure it. But there is another t-burst that was shaved like that for Ace; slash/ace used to own that one too. but he sold it. it has all the wear on the fretboard that is documented.

14. jco.1

jco.1 Senior Member

There's been a lot of discussion on that guitar...I don't think there is any doubt whatsoever as to where that "stolen" guitar wound up. That whole story is a trip. I'm glad Slash/Ace wound up with it; at least he's a fan.

15. Tuxedo Kaz

Tuxedo Kaz Senior Member

As soon as I saw this thread, my mind clicked to Boles.

16. Boleskinehouse

I'm aware of all that. What I'm saying is that it doesn't exist in the condition it was in from '73-'76 or whenever he had it converted..

Heh, stolen. :laugh2:

17. Mappa

Mappa Member

Thats cool:thumb:

18. AceRobot

AceRobot Senior Member

Awesome!! I'm even happier that I have a few of the original 300 run.

19. KissGuitar

KissGuitar Senior Member

Hey Jimmy,
    Thanks for the info. I've been off the forums for a while with crazy work and personal ventures, but I'm back!

A few things come to mind.. one being that the new guitars will most likely NOT have the Ace character makeup head on the headstock, Gene owns the rights to that and I have been told in the past that this has been a hangup with doing another Ace style guitar. Ace and Gene historically have clashed when it comes to making money based on this, and again this has been a standoff. More than likely Gene will not give in for Ace to be allowed to use the Trademarked makeup or anything else that refers to Kiss. (unless of course there is an agreement to pay Gene and Paul, which Ace would never agree to).

I was also told in the past that when the old Ace guitar came out (when Ace and Kiss (Gene mainly) were getting along they patented the guitar for it's lightning bolts and Ace makeup, so I wouldn't expect lightning bolts on the new Ace guitars either.

That being said, this is only what I've heard and others here (Jimmy) who have contacts may be able to shed whether this is true or not. For me, I'd like it to be like past Ace guitars as far as the lightning bolts and headstock go, although I realize that not everyone likes them. I like the uniqueness of these features and to me represents the Ace signature model. If the new ones don't have those features, I would still consider them, however. But there has to be more to it than just another LP with minor cosmetics and a certificate of authenticity. I'm sure it will play well, so I am also just assuming that.

And blueburst? Am I the only one who thinks this is a hideous color? I guess options are good, but the tobacco burst would be the one I'd go for for sure.

20. Bloody rocker

Bloody rocker Senior Member

Thanks alot for the info! I will share a little about the new album to the KISS army Sweden!:D