New '58 Korina V

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by charlie chitlins, Jan 26, 2018.

1. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Am I the only one who has no idea what a guitar sounds like until I get it out to a gig?
    I even A/B'd this one with some humbucker guitars I know I like and thought it sounded fine.

2. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

Yea, I think you are:eek2:

charlie chitlins likes this.
  3. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

You have to admit that when you said " the neck is a little microphonic" it can be understood as as a complaint. Hence the misunderstanding.
    Also, tweaking your guitar to the point where it starts dictating where you need to stand on stage seems like the dog is leading the human.
    I love the sound of PAF's, but I HATE how microphonic they are. There, now you have officially heard a complaint about it.
    I am very sorry for derailing your thread and if I in any way offended you. I am done being a smart a$$...for now:hyper:

4. charlie chitlins

I did say "a little"....I was trying to do something and it happened a little.
    I'm not offended.
    I also gig some hollow and semi-hollow guitars.
    Those of us who do, are well accustomed to having to turn our amps, or bodies to avoid unwanted noises.
    The only problem I can see with microphonic pickups is if you're a high gain player and they squeal.
    They do force you to clean up your technique...pick and finger noises, picking technique...but the touch sensitivity is worth it to me.
    My favorite guitar is a '65 Firebird III (P90s).
    I have a strap with a vinyl (or some plastic) backing and I had to put pieces of felt on the strap buttons.
    When the strap moves, the plastic squeaks against the guitar and it comes out the amp.
    A big part of the magic of these old guitars is the WOOD.
    The way to get some of that magic to come out of your amp is with a pickup that "hears" what's happening in the wood.
    In a hollow guitar, there's that big sound chamber and the pickups hear that.
    It's shocking to me that more people don't want to take advantage of this.

5. Jazzfinger

Jazzfinger Member

Nice axe

charlie chitlins likes this.
  6. charlie chitlins

OK...now I'm confused...
    I rehearsed with this thing last night and it sounded perfect.
    Really lovely.
    It's much more at home in a '56 Deluxe turned up to get some hair on it.
    I gigged it through a '58 Bassman and maybe I just couldn't turn it up far enough to hit the sweet spot.
    My backup guitar sounded killer at that volume, though.
    I did notice, with the V, is sounds a little thin when clean, especially on the bridge pickup.
    Well...I already have some new pickups and pots coming...the pickups might just stay in the box for awhile, though.