New 2x12 cab (well new to me)

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by GySgtFTL, Nov 9, 2017.

1. GySgtFTL

GySgtFTL Senior Member

I was perusing CL Nashville a few weeks ago and this unloaded 2x12 Mather Cab was listed at $175. I swung for the fence and offered him $100 and to my surprise he accepted. I really didn't need a cab but since I had offered, I had to buy it. I've owned Mather products and know that they are heavy-duty, well built.
    Turns out the seller is the guitarist for Trace Adkins but that's another story. You can't swing a dead cat in Nashville without hitting a guitar picker or other musician; But I digress.
    I purchased a couple of nice speakers to install and now I have all the speakers I will ever need.
    Unfortunately the only amp head I currently own is an Orange Micro Terror but even through it the speakers sound good together. Need to find a cover for it ASAP.
    I'd really like a '65 DRRI head but Fender only produces them every few years as special run. I'm also leaning toward an Orange TH30. Christmas is just around the corner and I may have to treat myself to some Vacuum Tube sweetness.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

sweet... looks the part

3. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

NICE. CONGRATS

4. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Handsome devil. That's a great speaker combo too, gonna sound wicked.

5. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

If you’re determined to go Orange (with the DR somewhat hard to get) check the OR15.
    That’s a beautiful cab, man.
    Great score!

GySgtFTL likes this.
  6. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Nice mix of Speakers. I am actually going to run the G1235-XC with a Cream Alnico in an open back Cab shortly.

:cheers2:

GySgtFTL likes this.
  7. GySgtFTL

GySgtFTL Senior Member

I considered the Cream Alnico; I've read great reviews about it. Two unknowns kept me from buying it though. It's a 90-watt speaker and I was going to pair it with a 35-watt speaker. I don't know if that is an issue or not. The other thing is that the amp head I'm considering will be 30 watts max. Again, I wasn't certain if these two factors were even relevant but since I have used the Gold before in different amps I went with the comfortable choice.

8. Marshall & Moonshine

The wattages don’t have to match, as long as the impedance works out.
    I forget the best way to write the formula, butbthe power-handling of the cab is based on the lowest wattage speaker. If you have a 90w and a 30w together, you don’t have a 120w cab. I think you have a 60w cab. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
    But 60w is plenty for a 35w amp.

9. Marshall & Moonshine

Another thing about high wattage speakers being driven by low/low-ish wattage amps is that they CAN sound a little tight and lifeless. It just doesn’t move the cones enough to really get the character out of them, IMO. With a 35w amp, you’ll have no problem, most likely.
    I ran my beefed up tweed Princeton through my 2x12 Marshall with 120w power-handling and it was louder, but sounded really stiff. Now it runs through a 40w cab and it throws them around nicely. Whether you like it or not probably matters what kind of music you play. Metal probably likes the tightness where blues typically does not.

GySgtFTL likes this.
  10. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I tend to focus my attention on Celestion Speakers & often contact them in England (Dr D.) to seek advice + trust my ears + comments from several friends who have similar likes to me.

The Cream Alnico is fine for any Amp between 1W - 90W..............obviously you wouldn't run a 80 / 90W Amp flat stick in to this Speaker.

Cut a long story short a friend of mine who gigs regularly has been raving about the G1235-XC (he has many Celestion Speakers) & suggested I should look at pairing my Cream Alnico with this Speaker.

I send an Email to Celestion with an overview of what I have, what I was looking for & what Amps I was going to use etc. & received the following reply: -

"Hi Rudi –

I was going to recommend the Cream, before I saw that that was what you have already, so I think you’re already most of the way there.

If I was going to select a slightly different speaker to pair the Cream with, I’d look at the G12-35XC. It’s smoother than the V30 (beneficial for clean sounds) and will give you the best of both worlds between an M and H magnet speaker.

Regards,

The Doc"

So while nothing is an absolute, based on a few comments on this Speaker pairing, my friend's opinion & several reviews I thought it would be worth trying. We'll see in due course. If I am not happy I'll just get another Cream Alnico. :)

:cheers2:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    GySgtFTL likes this.