New 24 Magnum Build in Memory of My Son

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skyjerk, Mar 23, 2017.

1. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Inlay looks awesome Chris

2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

This is a personal best. 6 pages into a build thread and not a single piece of wood cut :)

It's good enough. My next post will be building....

archey and fumblefinger like this.
  3. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Hey Chris, how's the "guitar-that-has-to-be-done-before-I-can-build-the-guitar-I-want-to-build" coming along?

... but this shows how much folks are encouraging your tribute build and honoring you!

Good on ya, man.

4. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

I should wrap it up this weekend. I'd be done already but I've been fighting a wicked cold the last 4 days and upon getting home from work I just collapse on the couch instead of going out to my shop...

5. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Chicken Soup Thoughts being sent your way! Feel better and slice and dice that bad boy into perfection this weekend! :h5:

6. net2000

net2000 Member

+1 on Sweetwater getting all of my business from now on, and +3 to all the brothers and sisters here who encourage you with kindness and love. My prayers are with you and all those who've lost children, words will never adequately express our condolences. But we can all agree that you absolutely honor your Son with this tribute, and anything we in the community can do for you would be an honor for us to participate in.

God Bless You and Your Family, Brother. If we were closer in distance, I'd be in your workshop with you every day.

Angel

Skyjerk likes this.
  7. dka-65

dka-65 Senior Member

Really love this one, can't wait to see you stating the actual build.

Also I really like that the Sweetwater sales person/rep did something like that. I never bought much from them....but I can say that I will start using them more after reading this.

Skyjerk likes this.
  8. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Thanks for all the support guys.

I actually did a grand total of nothing on my buddies build over the weekend. I was so sick I couldnt budge and coughing so much that even the thought of sawdust made me choke.

Good news is that I'm on the other side of it now. some lingering congestion and cough but its fading fast and I expect to do some major damage on my buddies build this weekend. This tribute build should get going the weekend after, and any of you guys that know me will know that once I get going on a build I dont fuck around with it for months. I'll have lots of updates once I start rolling

KP11520, net2000 and mux164 like this.
  9. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I think that looks fantastic.

10. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Decided I still want to have some kind of Aires on the front, so I found and slightly modified a piece of clipart to make an inlay on the headstock. Obviously its a pretty abstract, tribal-ish looking Aires symbol.

Being at the far end of the guitar, and also because the design isnt shockingly different from and wont clash with my regular Addict TR cover logo, the effect wont present a huge style clash with the other inlays. I also know for a fact Chris would think this is cool :)

I'll cut it myself from white MOP

Time-wise, I got sick of figuring out where to fit the work into my schedule, so I took a week off work starting in 10 days. This will give me 9 solid days during which I'll be working on this build full-time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  11. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Sweet so we can expect 9 straight days of updates. Bring on the pics!

Skyjerk likes this.
  12. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Chris, please take your time and enjoy every little drop and nuance of this build. You don't need no stinking pressure to taint the love this represents! This is BIG. No room for any regrets after the fact. Nail it as you can! You've got a lot of love and support here behind you. Revel in it while you craft this masterpiece in your own time! :thumb:

[​IMG]

GrouchyDog, archey and Skyjerk like this.
  13. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Hey Chris,

No clash whatsoever, my friend. The Aries is a near perfect match with your Addict script, and will compliment your "extended 12th" inlay nicely. Will you have any other fret markers, or just rely on side markers?

As has been said, take your time, release your heart. (but yeah, any update pics appreciated :naughty:)

Be well!

Skyjerk likes this.
  14. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Pretty much :)

I take lots of pics and expect I'll be even more inclined for this build...

mux164 and archey like this.
  15. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

I had a lot of ideas for fret markers, but in the end I decided this build was already inlay heavy enough and will be leaving the rest of the frets plain.
    I'll still have side dot markers though, white MOP

With that in mind, while I had originally planned to use my last piece of Brazilian for the fretboard, I decided to use this awesome piece
    of macassar ebony. I'll be cutting the board from the "wavy" end as I really love those lateral distortions in the grain. I'll be trying to lay out the frets so that they land
    in the center of the frets as much as possible. With the cool grain and all the other inlays I dont think it will be lacking without other fret markers.

[​IMG]

16. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

No worries. I'm not feeling any pressure other than a serious urge to get started thats compounded by a lot of delays caused by other aspects of life.
    Once I do start it'll move right along. Some people are happy to do a bit here and a bit there and stretch a build out over months or even years, and thats totally cool.

Thats just not how my brain works :)

KP11520 and archey like this.
  17. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Yeah my current build is going on 2 years now. Not by choice mind you, i moved shortly after making the body and no longer have a space to work in. Over the 2 years ive managed to get it to the point of needing a finish, ive got it strung up and dialing it in with a bare wood finish cause i just had to play it.

18. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Went and got a little inlay of my own tonite
    In memory of my son...

[​IMG]

19. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Great tribute mate

archey likes this.
  20. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

In true Leahy fashion..... Phoenix rising right in front of the oven door! LOL Way cool!

Nice work and the colors really send this straight up to the top!

He's HONORED! And he feels the love! AND.... He's sending love right back!

Skyjerk and archey like this.