New 24 Magnum Build in Memory of My Son

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skyjerk, Mar 23, 2017.

1. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

Hey Chris,
    Fantastic design and good to see you getting back onto your horse! :cool: Given that there are no "other" harsh edges anywhere else on the body, might I suggest that you explore the concept of gently rounding the point of the tip of the lower horn, to be more closely in keeping with the the "flow" of the rest of the contours? Your build, your choice (obviously), but FWIW, my eye is immediately drawn to that point.
    Just My $.02 & Probably Due For A Discount!
    Gene

2. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

I really like the latest iteration, nice job!

3. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Senior Member

My #2 son John passed 4 years last friday to be exact..
    I am not gonna try my hand at a tribute yet, my 1st build became a scrap in corner of the shop that's not even good enough to be a cutting board..
    I'll be watching your threads for inspiration..

4. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

I'm sorry for your loss, man. I know your pain. Its a bit fresher for me, 2 months today.
    I already know its not something I'll ever get over no matter how much time passes.

5. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Its not something you're supposed to get "over". I cant speak from my personal life but my aunt passed away from cancer when she was 29, its been 15 years and my Grandmother still has days where it gets to her.
    To get over it is to forget.
    One must never forget the people we love.
    In time the thoughts wont be as debilitating but never the less they will still be.
    The best way to honor the ones we love is to alway remember the good times you shared.

Skyjerk and Koolaide like this.
  6. Skyjerk

Well said

7. Skyjerk

This completes the hardware.

As I mentioned before, these were donated free of charge in my sons memory by my guy Paul Eckert at Sweetwater

They are a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom trembucker for the bridge, a Sentient for the neck, and Planet Waves outo-trim locking tuners.

Lastly, an Oak Grigsby 5-position, 4-pole super switch. I used on in my last build and love it. It will be wired with positions 1, 3, and 5 as you might expect. 2 and 4 will be the neck or bridge split

so I now have all the materials and parts on hand. Still gonna be a few weeks before I can begin construction as I have another project I need to finish off first
    [​IMG]

Baylin, KP11520, The_Nuge and 2 others like this.
  8. Skyjerk

First post in new forum :)

I took my 22 magnum photo, screwed with the colors, added the inlay and a couple more frets and moved the neck pickup into the body. Added pickup rings as well.

This is just a rough representation of what I'm shooting for. the actual one will have enhanced flame and a slight black burst as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  9. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Terrific design. I am no fan of excess inlay, but the abalone bird looks fantastic, both in its place on the guitar and because it's a perfect subject to render in abalone. There's no way to compensate for the loss you have experienced -- all you can do is find a way to go on, and to make living as good and worthwhile as you can. Creating a beautiful new thing is a great choice, and sharing it with us is really generous of you. Doubtless this is what your son would want.

Skyjerk likes this.
  10. Skyjerk

This is the approximate size and placement of the Aires symbol on the body back. This will be white mother-of-pearl. The body wood will be stained a similar hue to what you see here but a touch darker.

[​IMG]

jkes01 likes this.
  11. emoney

emoney Senior Member

I can't see the pics, brother, but I'm sure it looks fantastic.

12. Skyjerk

These ones are for you emoney. I think you can see them when I put them on my other website...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KP11520, mux164 and emoney like this.
  13. emoney

emoney Senior Member

Sexy as hell, man. As I suspected

14. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Beautiful Chris. Still putting the Aires on the fretboard?

15. Skyjerk

No. it's going on the back as shown in the photo. Style-wise it doesn't match up with the phoenix

16. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

It's gonna be stunning, that's for sure. Love the birds, are they from DePaule?

17. Skyjerk

I get them from custominlay.com. I do the inlay myself, but they also will make whole fretboards for you if you don't want the tedium

18. Skyjerk

Slight change of plans :)

I was going to do the same birds fretboard I used on my previous build, but instead I've decided to try designing and cutting my own fretboard inlays.
    Up till now I've bought stock designed sets of pre-cut inlays, but that doesn't feel right for this build and I think its time I went all in. So I bought a bunch of pearl blanks and a jewelers saw and a bunch of blades ( I figure I'm going to break a some)

I've nearly finished the design for a large 11th-13th fret inlay that will also be a phoenix in a matching style to the large body inlay, but obviously a lot smaller, and some random flame "pieces" where you would normally expect to find dots.

mux164 and jkes01 like this.
  19. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Cool man, can't wait to see it.

BTW, I just purchased a scroll saw for cutting my own inlays and other projects I have planned. Surprisingly good deal from WalMart of all places. Early anniversary/Father's Day present from my wife :)

20. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Sounds very cool, Chris. I might try something like that, but I mean buying some small pearl cutting bits for my CNC machine. ;-)

Cheers Peter.