Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skyjerk, Mar 23, 2017.
I like it. It's close, but different. I'm not a huge floyd rose fan, but that's just me.
Not as close as you might think. Addict 24 Magnum on top, PRS Custom 24 on bottom. Silhouettes are in scale (roughly) with each other.
The carve and faux binding are really what makes it look similar to a PRS. The shape is actually noticeably different when you take those features out of the picture...
Your curves are much nicer
Not surprisingly, I totally agree with this assessment
Chris's are much more graceful, in radius.
OK, sanded and buffed. Still need to clean some compound out of some cracks and crevices...
sometime in the next two or three days I'll level, crown, and polish the frets, and then put it all together.
Just a couple days from finished guitar
Wow Chris that is absolutely stunning. World class craftsmanship. Quite the tribute to your son. Cherish it forever.
Chris, that is just plain awesome! Can't wait to see it with hardware.
And the inlay work on the back is art ... a great tribute.
Really gorgeous, Chris! Outstanding work as usual and a great tribute to your son.
Beautiful, just beautiful!
Heres the headstock. Forgot to include these pix...
Beyond stunning! What's the finish??
Thanks. It's nitro. Mohawk Piano lacquer to be precise.
Aniline dye on the top. Nitro is straight clear except for the burst.
Might i add....on top of building a beautiful guitar these are really good clear pics.
Crappy, out of focus pictures are irritating to me
Good stuff, man!!
How is the "faux binding" done?
This was my first faux binding and my method wasn't perfect so I'm not locked into the way I did it this time.
First I masked off the side and top so that only the binding area was exposed, then brushed some thinned lacquer onto it. My theory was that if it was already sealed it was less likely to get any color bleeding into the binding.
Then I pulled that tape off and masked off the binding and stained the top with aniline dye. My MISTAKE was I brought the stain right up to the masked binding area and I did get some bleed under the tape in spite of my having sealed it previously.
I kicked my own ass for an hour because there was no need to bring the red right to the binding since I was going to burst it anyway.
I ended up having to scrape it, and since it was dye rather than lacquer, it wasn't just on the surface. I got the worst off but you can see a couple spots where you can see a couple specs of red in the binding where I just didn't want to scrape any deeper.
Lessons were learned, as per usual the next guitar will benefit from them
First off - Thank you for putting the note to "jump to p.7 for the build" in your first post!!!..... I just spent the last hour or so catching up the last 10 pages (the white on black is SO hard for me to read I don't spend much time on this forum )
Very nice job! The only things I would change are