New 24 Magnum Build in Memory of My Son

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skyjerk, Mar 23, 2017.

1. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Pure awsomeness right there bud!
    This is one damn sweet axe and a beautiful tribute to your son.
    Now hurry up and shoot some clear on that thing and play it till your fingers bleed!

yamariv likes this.
  2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

OK, shooting the clear.

Still have a couple coats to shoot on the back this evening.

Learned something new yesterday. It was 95 F. in my shop, but humidity was low, around 50% so I thought I didnt need to use retarder. I shot one coat a bit heavy and it formed all kinds of bubbles under the surface. A bit of reading showed me that in temps like that it skinned over too fast for the solvents to escape so they formed bubbles.

Fortunately I only shot that heavy coat on the back, so I didnt fuck up my top :)

Waited till it hardened and then sanded it off.

Re-shot it with a little retarder and lighter coats and didnt get the bubbles.

I thought retarder was just to prevent blushing in high humidity, but I was wrong :)

Still learning...

Used timbermate instead of my normal simtec this time because I wanted dark pores. Mahogany color with some tobacco brown trans-tint dye. I shot a seal coat of nitro before grain filling because I didnt want to stain the rest of the mahogany with the filler. I just wanted the pores dark

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like it.

[​IMG]

I love the abalone. From some angles it looks kinda dull, from others it lights up like its back-lit.
    Colors change too. From the angle in the above photo it looks blue...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  3. D'tar

D'tar Senior Member

beautiful! That grain filler turned out really nice. Along with everything else!

4. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Looks really nice, Chris!

Interesting about the retarder for hot, dry weather ... not that I'll ever experience that here!

Oh, and love the faux binding.

Cheers!

5. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

I think I could get away without the retarder if I shot lighter coats too. I'm going to use it anyway just to be safe in these conditions

6. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

That is looking fantastic! Gorgeous all the way around.

7. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Oh Man, that Red is awesome Chris! Perfect combo with the faux binding and light back! :dude:

8. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Anyone that peeked into my lacquer retarder thread already knows I had some issues with the bubbles in the clear on the back due to the excessive heat yesterday and today while shooting the lacquer. Very frustrating.

The top is another story though. All that lacquer was shot a couple weeks ago so no issues with that.

This is by far the best top I've shot. For starters its partly because I think really got the carve right before any lacquer went on. the shape and curves were smooth and flowed nicely all around the body.

The lacquer turned out really nice because I level sanded it with 320 grit dry paper and got the larger contours and flow of the curve smooth all the way around, and then shot a wash coat of thinned lacquer and about 6% retarder on top of the whole thing. I laid the guitar on its back when I did this so I wouldn't get any drips, sags, or runs with the thinned lacquer. Gravity took care of the rest. It flowed out really nicely and very flat.

There is a little orange peel, but very minor. Less by orders of magnitude than I've had on any build previously. This will take very little time wet sanding with 800 and right to the buffer. I'll be doing my finishes this way from now on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  9. gtr-tek

gtr-tek Fumble Fingers Premium Member

That build is fantastic! Absolutely beautiful work. That will be a fine piece once you have it done. Keep up the good work!

10. dcomiskey

dcomiskey Member

You could easily get away with keeping this natural. Such a gorgeous axe. That FB is gorgeous! I got a similar one from LMII that I'll be using on my next V build. Never cared much for striped ebony before. Now, it's delicious!

You're an inspiration, Chris.

Skyjerk likes this.
  11. dcomiskey

dcomiskey Member

Black cherry finishes are my favorite, besides crackle. This is amazing!

Skyjerk likes this.
  12. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Thanks for all the kind words :)

13. DotStudio

DotStudio Senior Member

Wow, amazing work Chris. That top looks like glass!

14. fti

fti Member

Stunning! Look forward to seeing and hearing the completed build!

15. JMT Guitars

JMT Guitars Senior Member

16. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Well, its been hardening 2 weeks and still a couple to go, but its hard enough to take it off the hanger and get a few pix that give an idea what the finished product will look like.
    Picture this with all the black hardware (pickups, rings, Floyd Rose, tuners, knobs) installed, as well as back and TR covers.

The lighting in these pix make the mahogany look a bit more yellow than it looks for real.

Of course the very minor orange peel and you can see on the top will be gone too ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Tonyd145, mux164, jkes01 and 4 others like this.
  17. archey

archey Senior Member

Very nice! The red looks great. I'm a PRS fanboy, but I think I like your version of red better.

dcomiskey likes this.
  18. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Thanks Archey :)

So as an admitted PRS fan boy whats your take on my design?

Obviously the top carve style and faux binding invite comparison with PRS, but my body shape and headstock shapes are different, scale length and radius are different, obviously no PRS style fretboard inlays, and I eliminated what are to me the most unappealing parts of a PRS design, namely the humongous, ugly (again, to me) bevel in the lower cutaway and the recessed knobs set perpendicular to the back.

Frack likes this.
  19. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Dude that is fantastic. Personally i like your cutaways better then a prs and ive never been a fan of the bird inlays ao you get a win there plus that board is so nice it needs not fret markers. Im not a floyd guy but your execution of the route is perfect.
    If it were mine the only 2 changes (both personal preferences and total unnecessary) would be a tom style bridge cause its what im most comfortable with and fretboard binding, just cause i like the look of it.
    But niether would stop me from buying this guitar.

20. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Thanks for saying so :)

Both your changes are things I like

I like binding too. Body and fretboard. I've used it on almost all my previous builds (except Strats!). Thought about binding with flamed maple to match the natural edge of the body for this, but decided against it in this case. With this build I wanted a cleaner look to the fretboard that wouldnt de-emphasize the inlay or the sweet stripey macassar. As for the edge, the fret tangs are undercut and the ends of the slots filled dark and lacquered so the edge looks clean and smooth like black binding :)

As to the TOM bridge, Love em. My favorite build of mine before now is my 22 Special with a Tonepros TOM.
    I expect to build more of this 24 magnum model and fully intend to do a TOM on a future build. Wanted a trem for this guy though :)