New 24 Magnum Build in Memory of My Son

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skyjerk, Mar 23, 2017.

1. GrouchyDog

GrouchyDog Senior Member

That's sick, man. Tons of personality - can't wait to see it completed!

Skyjerk likes this.
  2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

So heres a quick comparison of the color I was shooting for alongside the color I actually got.

Its not dead-bang-on, but its close enough that I'm happy with the result...

Heres a PRS on the top, and my build on the bottom (duh)...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  3. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

I'd be super happy with that comparison Chris, the only difference to me is the grain in the wood and that's not something you can control. Color and burst is awesome!

4. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

I like yours better Chris. Great job.

guitar-rocker and fumblefinger like this.
  5. redking

redking Senior Member

Looks Awesome Chris!

6. sdshirtman

sdshirtman Senior Member

Came out great Chris. What happened to the Aries inlay? Did I miss something?

Skyjerk likes this.
  7. Tonyd145

Tonyd145 Premium Member

Another for yours looking better. And not just because your a fellow MLPer. Yours looks brighter, cleaner as far as the color. Just to my eyes anyway.:applause:

Skyjerk likes this.
  8. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

You posted this twice, so I'll thank you twice!

Thanks thanks!

9. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

I have yet to do the two big inlays. Originally the large Phoenix was going to be on the front of the body but I decided to move it to the back with the other because of the difficulties in putting an inlay that large onto a curved surface. Since all the edges are cut at 90 degrees to the top, wrapping it over a curve would cause gaps to open up. I didn't want to try and Custom bevel all the pieces to make it work, nor do I even know how big they are going to be. The curve radius is pretty small in some spots. Pieces might be too thin to sand flush to the surface, etc

The possibility of having it come out poorly was too high, so I decided to put it on the nice flat back along with the Aries

I haven't shot lacquer on the back yet, and still have all the clear to go yet on the top as well.

yamariv likes this.
  10. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Did a bit of inlay work over the weekend.

Unlike the headstock inlay I did not cut this myself, but sent my design to DePaule and they cut if for me

[​IMG]

This comes glued to the the cardboard, so I had to soak it in water to remove the backing from it. Had this been a more complex inlay with a lot more pieces I would cover the top with clear packing tape and just sit the bottom in the water until it comes off.

The tape keeps all the pieces in their places. then I would put it where it will go, tape and all, and proceed as usual. Taking it apart and trying to work with all the little pieces can be a gigantic mistake and lead to a lot of regret [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many thanks to Komodo on projectguitar.com for the chalk idea. Next time I think I'll sand the piece a bit smoother beforehand as the chalk filled a lot of stuff I didn't want it in, however even with that it was still a lot easier to see the lines when I did the routing [​IMG] Also, all I could find on short notice was kids sidewalk chalk which might not do as well as real "blackboard" chalk. I'll know soon, I still have my TR cover inlay to do [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be cutting this out with an oval border and inlaying the entire oval into the back of the guitar. I inlayed the MOP into the ebony first because the white MOP just doesnt stand out that well in mahogany and I want the symbol to pop.

[​IMG]

11. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

:wow::wow::dude::dude:Friggen Gorgeous Chris!! Turned out great, can't wait to see it on the backside of the guitar :Ohno:

Skyjerk likes this.
  12. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Beautiful work as always Chris.

13. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

I use sidewalk chalk myself. Blue stands out ok on maple while yellow and white stand out on the darker woods. I use it when radiusing, inlaying, stroking center lines, etc.

Skyjerk likes this.
  14. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

My standard truss rod cover. Pix speak for themselves I'll sand it off and cut it out tonite...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Sanded the gunk down and then spent some time at the disk sander roughing things out.
    TR cover needs to be thicknessed to about 2/3 its current thickness (from the back) and trimmed off where you see it overhanging the
    headstock overlay, the rest of it is sitting in the approximate location. Youve seen my TR covers before, nothing new here :)

The big Aries inlay for the back needs to be trimmed in some more. Still a bit oversized and the shape itself needs a bit more work.
    I'll do that tonite.

you can kinda make out the big Phoenix inlay on the counter there. I'll be inlaying that as well as the Aires tomorrow and will hopefully
    shoot the rest of the finish over the weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

guitar-rocker, jkes01, mux164 and 3 others like this.
  16. fti

fti Member

Wow! The craftmanship is amazing.

17. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Tattooing the guitar...

Still some work to do. I have some small detached pieces of abalone "flame" for the phoenix, and a few gaps to fill. I plan to carve a bit of detail on the head like beak silhouette with another piece of abalone and an eye, but this thing really lights up.
    I decided to use a dark epoxy on the phoenix because I like the dark border. It sets it off nicely and looks more "tattoo-like" IMO

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Premium Member

This is looking fantastic, Chris. Amazing job. :)

19. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Dude you are a machine!

20. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

OK, all done. He now has a beak and an eye. I used one of the floating flame pieces to make the beak and for the eye I just carved a divot with my dremel and filled it with epoxy when I set the rest of the floating flame pieces.

It looks like a stained glass window. To be honest I was somewhat afraif this would come out looking stupid and wreck the guitar, but I'm REALLY happy with how this turned out. :)

[​IMG]