New 24 Magnum Build in Memory of My Son

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skyjerk, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

So, after 5 weeks of paralysis, I'm starting to think about getting back to some guitar building. I was trying to cook up some ideas on how to make this next build extra-special and think I have just the thing. This is still in planning stage and I probably wont be able to start building until June, mostly for financial reasons.

This build will be very much like my last one, 22 magnum, with some differences.

The 22 Mag has 22 frets, a 25" scale length, and a 10" radius, direct mounted pickups.

This version will have 24 frets, a 25.5" scale length, a 12" radius, and pickup rings. Materials and construction will be the same. Mahogany, flame maple top, Neck-through, carbon fiber, yaddah yaddah yaddah. My usual.

This build will be in memory of my son Chris. Rather than the birds on the fretboard I was trying to come up with something that would look cool, and be a direct link to Chris
    and I think I came up with just the thing

So a bit of history, as some of you know I have a ****-load of tattoos. My son wanted some ink of his own from a very young age, probably because his Dad had lots, and being the headstrong person he was, I could either be a part of that process and have some input, or he would absolutely have gone off and had some hack do a crappy job. So I made him wait until he was 18 and I took him to a guy I know that does good work and has a very clean, sanitary shop.

After a lot of debate and mind-changing, Chris decided he wanted a tribal representation of Ares the Ram. (Chris was an Ares), so we went and I bought his first tattoo for him.
    He got many more over the next few years (I get it) but this first one was always his favorite and it was a good memory that I have. Father/son tattoo outing. Sounds a little lowbrow, but then I wouldnt want to seem too pretentious. I got a 3D looking rose on my forearm at the same time.

Anyway, this is a photo of his tattoo when it was about 5 minutes old, so it still looks a bit raw and super dark, but the photo is good enough that I can use it to make a great drawing from which to cut out pearl pieces. So this will be the 12th fret inlay. Size-wise it'll span 3 frets from 11 to 13.

Havent figured out the rest of the inlays yet, but this is the centerpiece. Thought about not having anything else except this, but I discarded that. I dont want anything too fancy as that would de-emphasize the 12th inlay, but I definitely dont want it plain. Something better than just dots. Maybe some tribal-like streaks/swirls or something

[​IMG]

It'll be this build with the changes mentioned above.

[​IMG]

Edited to add: Any newcomers to this thread can avoid a lot of yammering by skipping directly to page 7, thats where the actual building starts :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. timgman

timgman Senior Member

Can't wait. This tribute will be awesome.

3. redking

redking Senior Member

Sounds like a great way to pay tribute and hopefully help with the healing process in some way. It's a great idea and I'm sure it will be amazing when its done!

4. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Welcome back brother. What a great way to pay tribute to Chris and get you back to working in your shop. Can't wait for the build thread.

5. 45WinMag

45WinMag Senior Member

Working with wood does wonders for one's inner peace, glad to see you planning a build. This is going to be nice.

6. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

Very nice. Welcome to action. Will check this thread for a great guitar.

:applause:

7. unclelonghair

unclelonghair Member

8. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

9. archey

archey Senior Member

Glad to see you're still at it. It's going to be a awesome tribute.

10. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Would you do a maple fretboard with the dark inlay......or a dark fretboard with some type of MOP??

11. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Hey Chris,

Good idea, and full of meaning. I looked at those symbols, and thought the least complicated would place more accent the 12th marker you are planning on. This particular one caught my eye, as it is horns and face in about as simple a design as possible. (In fact, looks much like a stylized, upside-down version of the Japanese Kanji character for "man' or "person" 人 )

I copied one, and then squashed it 50%, and it's still fairly recognizable.

Just a thought, and peace for this tribute build.

Randy

[​IMG]

12. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Definitely rosewood and white MOP :)

13. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

You might have it there, Randy. I'll have to play around with it a bit to fit all the frets, but that pretty much works in all ways.

Looks cool, matches the tribal vibe, symbolizes Aries (which I misspelled earlier!), and doesn't de-emphasize the 12th fret inlay.

Thank you :)

14. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

24 Magnum RAM..has a great ring to it!

15. geoffstgermaine

geoffstgermaine Senior Member

Good to hear, Chris. Look forward to seeing this build!

16. valvetoneman

valvetoneman Senior Member

Glad you're going to build again Chris, look forward to seeing it

17. cain61

cain61 Senior Member

A fine and noble tribute to your son. Subscribed.

18. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

With a little help from my MLP friends I now have what I need for this one. I manually colored a copy in to get a notion of how it'll look with colors reversed as they will be with MOP on rosewood or ebony

[​IMG]

I decided to take it a step farther. Chris also had a tattoo of a phoenix on his chest. That was another joint father/son trip to the tattoo shop.

I'm going to do that one on the back of the body life-size in something blue. Paua, abalam, turquoise, etc. I'll figure it out. I'm still searching the "archives" for a photo with enough resolution to work with.

I'm also contacting the tattoo artist to see if he might still have the original stencil or artwork, but I'm not holding out hope on that score...

You can see both tattoos in this photo from a few years ago. He was 20 at the time...

[​IMG]

19. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

I've contacted DePaule to talk about having them help me create the inlay I mentioned above from my sons chest tattoo, something like this in blue paua, abalone, abalam, and whatever else will work to get this working. I'll do the inlay work, but I'm not going to try cutting the shell myself. I want this perfect, first time. The build is too important to me to dick around with some amateurish attempt at this inlay

The body will be red with the flame popped in the usual way that I like and a black burst fairly close to the edge. I think the blue inlay will really pop against the red and black

This photo is a 22 magnum. The 24 magnum will be pretty much identical except the fretboard will be 2 frets longer and the neck pup will be a bit closer to the bridge.

[​IMG]

lakeburst and HeartString like this.
  20. archey

archey Senior Member

It's gonna be bad ass Chris.