Never buying a Gibson again...

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by sikoniko, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

I am totally addicted to finding the "right one" I have too many guitars, and now I have too many amps....I am not even sure why....If I were in a band, which I should be, I could not cycle through them all.

Someone said earlier, (don't know if it was this thread) but "the best one is the one that your about to get." And I will stick to that. I can't judge anymore....all of them rock. The only thing that determines it to me is usually the neck shoulders and the depth. I don't think I have had a single "Bad" VOS but I have had Gloss versions that didn't click. ??? Not bashing, just saying that my preference is just that.

Taking that back...there was one VOS at a GC it was an 08' and just a bad player for me.

I guess exposure has something to do with it too. Not many good stores around here anymore. And while shopping online the first order is color and figure/grain. I know its bakasswards....but I am not throwing the dice or am I? We all know its better to try before you buy.

So yes still looking, but as I look about the house I have a damn good spread as it is. I can't really think of which to get rid of, to replace with another. And the amps....I have the grail of grails and its offspring....do I need more? The one thing I do not have is a semi hollow or an SG, that would round it out as far as types of tone. But I do not feel comfy with those....so probably a no go. hmmmm never had an R6.....:hmm:

As I think about HM's and now vintage (good god) where does this end? I know I still want an R6 Darkburst so there is a target.....

And to follow up on the original post. I Loved the HM experience, I will do it again. Maybe not with the ones I have. It will have to be a great looking plain top....maybe.....however the 03' R9's color has me second guessing, its a little too orange..... then again the 2012 has the "EVIL fretboard" but a great paint job and a near perfect neck. Good Player, for sure.

Maybe an R6 Goldtop with a real big, big neck, might get lucky with the top....bingo,,,, R6 darkburst....
    :D

maybe in 6 months....I just shelled out for Black Sabbath tickets too. :dude:

4 people like this.
  2. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

Still think you should consider the JPM-1 unless you just want a practice amp. You can get a small rack mount power amp to go with it. Mine gets all sorts of tones. I really never felt like I needed anything else after I got it. Can do everything from metal to blues to country. Also easy to record with as you can just go direct (has a cabinet simulator). Really very flexible.

3. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

The NAU amp I use clean with a BB Preamp as dirt and the guitar volume knob to get clean to dirty and I have a second channel set louder for leads.
    I don't need pedals for the JVM.
    The Divided by thirteen I can go either way depending on volume.

1 person likes this.
  4. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

5. Alexsky1

Alexsky1 Senior Member

I have one 2011 and two 2013s and I like the 2011 significantly better as far as playability goes. The stock pups are slight better in the 2013s. But the neck and almost black dense fretboard of my 2011 Burst Brothers is my 2nd favorite guitar behind my HM 59 conversion. I am not pleased with the bigger shoulders on the 2013 R9s and the less then dense fretboards. Spec-wise the 2013s are better but, like it has been said many times, it all comes down to the specific guitar. There are great guitars in every year - you just have to find them.

6. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

2 people like this.
  7. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

wow that was a great vid!

Thanx for posting....I think I brushed up my German too! :applause:

2 people like this.
  8. Lemonhead

Lemonhead Senior Member

The 9:50 mark of that vid is soooo BS.

1 person likes this.
  9. Thawk1116

Thawk1116 Senior Member

I have a Divided 13 CJ11.. With master and volume and 11 watts. You can get bedroom volumes to small bars or clubs with that. I keep it on the clean channel and use OCD, Surh riot, and bb for dirt and gain. Really digging it right now sounds great.

2 people like this.
  10. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

I see you have not worked in manufacturing at all.

1 person likes this.
  11. cmcgov

cmcgov Senior Member

I learned a lot and had confirmed some thoughts I had. Not sure if I'm a nay sayer? But most likely absorbed very different things than you. Thanks for sharing the video.

12. Lemonhead

Lemonhead Senior Member

No. I am in Marketing. Gibson is pretty good at getting people to part with their money.

And they have been doing this Reissue teasing for 20 years.

13. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Senior Member

Nope....they piped up instead...

14. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

"Never buying a Gibson again... "

me neither... at least until I get another job, then I'm all over it! :naughty:

Some Lemon Drop action. :thumb:

R0 if I have my way :fingersx:

1 person likes this.
  15. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

I wonder sometimes what possess some people to join a "Les Paul Forum"? There are generic forums out there to join (TGP) where you will get many opinions on different brands. But why would you join a forum like this and hate on the very thing the forum is about?

I guess personally, I would stay away from let's say a "Toyota auto" forum, being that I'm partial to American car manufacturer's. It's a good example of too much time on your hands is all I can figure.

2 people like this.
  16. Lemonhead

Lemonhead Senior Member

Hate is a strong word.

I bet if you and I were eye to eye in a pub having this discussion, we would both be smiling and enjoying the back-and-forth banter. Emotionless text is tough to decipher.

What we all really want is great guitars with no BS. And sometimes calling Gibson out is needed. I don't think the Reissues would be where they are today if it weren't for forums like this.

And I think that is good.

1 person likes this.
  17. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

Thanks for posting. :thumb:

This was tough to watch. It took me about 4 times to get all the way through. he chooses his words very carefully in everything he says and that is obvious.

He said some things that are difficult to argue, but have been proven wrong by people in the know. I would love to be corrected here... but there are some points of contention with this video.

First... keep in mind that this video is a sales video... so he is not going to say anything that would prevent/block sales.

What is difficult to argue, you might ask? well... since I can not hold both the original guitar and a collectors choice/artist guitar, I can not judge first hand how "accurate" their measurements ended up. What I can go by is people like Mike Slubowski, who on the other board, said CC6 is a cool guitar, but Gibson did not get it right in recreating his #1. Why should I take them at their word? They are trying to sell me something.

Next, I can look at pictures of some of the original guitars and see for myself that the paint jobs look nothing like the originals in many cases. Cool guitar? yes. reproduction? no. I love the marketing Gibson did with Goldie where they had the original next to a CC and asked if we could tell which one was the real one. Why didn't they do that with CC6? or Shanks? It was very effective IMO, but with the two guitars sitting side by side, we would clearly see they missed on these.

Finally, I have to judge based on my own experience. I've held and played 50's Les Pauls, including bursts. There is something mystique about it. There is something special about the experience. and this includes Juniors.. sorry guys, MM & Specials don't do anything for me... :cool:

If I removed my mind from the equation, was blindfolded, and played both a '59 and a '13, I imagine I would think they were both cool guitars. But, if life were that simple, I would be happy playing an epiphone and be none the wiser. There is a level of romance that is not quantifiable in the old/original guitars. I just want to capture that experience when I play. I don't take it for granted and it changes the way I play (music is about art and emotion after all) for the better. Like an actor, I can play a part with any guitar... but if I truly want to get into character, I need the tools that draw me in closer. If others can do it without getting a HM or an actual vintage piece, more power to them.

I don't know what it means for a guitar to be a dog though... so I will not go so far as to claim any guitar is a bad guitar. There are guitars that I have not connected to... but just because it is bad for me, does that make the guitar a dog? Peter Green hated his Les Paul and ended up giving it to Gary Moore. Now it is coveted by many.

1 person likes this.
  18. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

+1

I love Gibson Les Pauls. I am also aware that a lot of bullshit gets flung around- by other owners and by Henry J & co.

19. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

Honestly, that post wasn't a shot at you. Your post did spark the thought, but it just seems like there is alot of "dislike" going around lately. Between the HM fanboy's, and alot of other general negativity, it just seems a bit out of hand here of late. Especially when the general consensus among us who do play and/or collect them seems to be that this year is a pretty darn good year for historics.

To me, it's like going to your home teams sports game, and wearing the opposing teams jersey. What's the point?

Yes, sometimes calling Gibson out is not a bad thing, but overall, they are in a pretty good position, and it's great to see an American company that makes a great product doing well. I love their guitars, and I have a blast gigging, playing, polishing, modding, and sometimes just flat out staring at mine. :thumb:

3 people like this.
  20. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

Thank you for seeing the intent here. :thumb:

For me, saying I'm never buying a Gibson unless... its a HM or a Vintage was just my own sense of humor...obviously not everyone got it, or it got lost in translation, because, either option still is a Gibson. :dude:

A HM is a Gibson. It starts as a Gibson and ends as a Gibson. :applause:

2 people like this.