Never buying a Gibson again...

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by sikoniko, Apr 24, 2013.

1. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

...unless it is vintage or a Historic Makeover.

No thanks to artist models... No thanks to Collectors Choice... they just DO NOT COMPARE!

I have an unfair advantage. I live in Florida and was passing through Orlando yesterday. Kim was kind enough to meet me at his shop to discuss a few things. Case after case, guitar after guitar that he showed me... OMG! His work is more than just a 'makeover'. Its art. His paintjobs are BEAUTIFUL! :thumb:

I asked him what he thought about the new goldtops... I wasn't expecting his answer... he said "what do you think?" and pulled out a 2013 R7 in for a makeover and showed me a goldtop he did. Doesn't compare. back color is WAY OFF! Top is off... BTW, I had a real '56 in my hands at the time.... its just not right. :shock:

I know there are many here that have had a makeover before and will attest to it, but the 2013's don't compare. don't even try to convince yourself that they do. :laugh2:

Pictures DO NOT do these guitars justice. They look fantastic in pictures... but they still don't look as good as they do in real life. The camera just doesn't capture the vibrance of the colors.

I will not buy another Les Paul unless it is Vintage or w/ the intention of having a makeover done. I may even send my Perryburst (the only Gibson I own right now) to him to have it done right.

For you guys that run out and buy new guitars once a month (no offense meant), quit spending your money in the wrong direction and re-focus into a HM. You'll be happy with the decision and Kim and may not be chasing after new guitars after that.

Thank you Kim for letting me come by and sharing with me your passion.

2. Alexsky1

Alexsky1 Senior Member

Geezz man that 2013 R7 that Kim pulled out is mine that I just sent down to him for a makeover. It did not look THAT bad!!! I posted a comparison picture of it in another thread with a 97 and 68 gold top. The 2013 looked nice. I sent it down to Kim because I too Love his work and was not happy with the R7 neck. But I have also gotten great guitars straight from Gibson - 2011 BurstBrothers R9 (yes I will call it what it is) and a 2009 Jimmy Page #2 for example. "Never buy Gibson again"?? that's a bit harsh!!

5 people like this.
  3. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

heh. No, it did not look bad. :) It just did not look right. Its in good hands now. :applause:

4. wormburner

wormburner Senior Member

If I could afford a stock Perryburst from Gibson, I'd be pretty darn happy.
    Perspective my friend, perspective.

8 people like this.
  5. 7gtop

7gtop Premium Member

^^ (op)

this soundz like "cause"

for a

"replica"

:applause:

no :hmm:

2 people like this.
  6. Sciencefriction

Sciencefriction Senior Member

Kim does exceptional work, but to say that it's THAT big of a difference is an exaggeration don't you think? The tone of the guitar isn't going to change that much (between a '13 and HM), a bad guitar won't become great necessarily, and a great guitar will still be a great guitar.

7 people like this.
  7. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

seeing is believing.

1 person likes this.
  8. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Senior Member

Oh Jesus. Really? Thanks for posting.

5 people like this.
  9. So What

So What Senior Member

Well...I will never spend the money on a makeover, in the forseeable future.

But at least this isn't another "Gibson QC Sucks!" thread.

12 people like this.
  10. patsanger

patsanger Senior Member

If you have the money, it must be nice. Keep chasing that dream OP! Keep chasing that dream.

8 people like this.
  11. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Senior Member

I'm giving my Les Paul Custom a makeover. Should be done in about 20 - 25 years and I'm thinking it will look pretty authentic.

25 people like this.
  12. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

So they looked different. Why do you think his was more correct? Because he said so? Because he copied one? How do you know that Gibson did not do the same? For the 50th anniversary of the 1959 burst, Gibson borrowed 5 known bursts from their respective owners, measured them inside and out - neck, waist, top carve, heel, headstock, belly, etc. And they took the average & called that the new R9. How did Kim come up with his measurements? I am not saying Kim's isn't correct. All I am hearing from you is that you saw something different & listened to a sales job. Of course, Kim is going to say his stuff is better & more vintage accurate - he's trying to sell it to you! Not that his stuff isn't more accurate. But in 2013, Gibson got many things correct; the gold top color is correct, contrary to what someone else might say. After so many years, the vintage guitars change color a little - especially with exposure to light. One person copied one guitar, another person copied a different guitar. Can they both be right? YES. Kim still offers a Brazilian fret board, which Gibson does not offer. (why is that? you can not make new guitars with braz but you can modify guitars to have braz? Gibson even offered to put braz on a guitar for me if I would supply the braz! :facepalm: ) So you go ahead & pay your $4,000 to make unneeded changes on your 2013 Historic. Mine will remain stock (or mostly stock). And it will continue to kick *ss!

http://s702.photobucket.com/user/jimmyace2006/media/NoQuarterTSRTS2013r0cleancolor.mp4.html

I would like to also say that Kim is a great guy and he does good work. I just don't have any work for him to do on my 2013 R0. But there are plenty of other LPs that need some help!

15 people like this.
  13. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

quit telling us what to do :thumb:

12 people like this.
  14. Jakeislove

Jakeislove Senior Member

I was in Orlando 4.5 months. Was busy but it would have been great meeting him in person.

15. KenG

KenG Senior Member

What can we say? If you prefer aged models, you prefer aged models. Personally I don't, I'd like mine to age naturally through time and use.
    That being said I can appreciate HMs artistry and skill in doing makeovers. I was very impressed with the Slide show on their website. I certainly wouldn't mind a Braz board and the dished top carve is nice. The weathered paint and neck reset with hide glue isn't for me. Nor is the price on top of wht I paid for the guitar. I can understand why it's so much though after watching the slide show. I wonder if Kim has ever considered getting into the replica business?

4 people like this.
  16. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

While I understand I made an attention getter of a post, I'm not sure the pendulum needs to swing so far in the opposite direction. This thread was meant to be an endorsement of HM, not a bashing of Gibson.

The problem with an online forum is there is no way for me or any of you to validate anything I say... so you must either choose to take my word for it, or attempt to call me out. Lesson learned on my part.

I don't feel the need to prove myself so I will back down. you win. That doesn't change what I know and have experienced. but if it makes you happy, then I'm good with that. Your collection in particular has inspired me in the direction I want to take my collection...I love the theme you have.

I will make one parting comment on this thread and then you guys can continue to gang up on me. and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

In my opinion (disclaimer-I realize this is my opinion and you guys can all have your own as well), the purpose of spending the extra money for a Gibson Historic over the price of a Traditional or Standard is because I want an original, but I can't/couldn't afford it, so I wanted the next best thing.

What I expect out of Gibson is to make the same guitar they did in the '50s. I was not alive in the 50's, so I can't comment on what they played/looked like back then...but I see how they are today and I play the old guitars and the new guitars are not the old ones. The are nice. They are good guitars. but they are not the old ones. You can put anything on paper and make it look good. and yes, the new guitars sound/look good. but not as good as an original. Lets re-visit this topic in 50 years and see if we both have the same opinion.

Having played a historic, a historic makeover, and vintage... the makeover is as close as you can get today (outside of a conversion)...from my experience. What Kim does is what Gibson SHOULD be doing and selling us IMO.

Why did I choose to focus on looks? because its obvious when you are staring at both. If you can't deduce that I might have played them too...well...

as a disclaimer. I've played Kim's guitars. not customers.

1 person likes this.
  17. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

I wasn't going to post again, but to address this... Kim does not always age his work. Its at the customers discretion.

1 person likes this.
  18. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

I am certainly curious about a HM. But not $4000 curious.

6 people like this.
  19. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Nice work for certain. I WILL do another......:)

20. matt@msscguitar

matt@msscguitar www.MSSCGuitar.com Premium Member MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

Kim's a great guy and a personal friend. I highly respect his work and wouldn't hesitate for a second to have him makeover any of my guitars.

2 people like this.