Nelson Mandela dead at 95

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Barcham, Dec 5, 2013.

1. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

when are you going to bring croatians and serbs and every other conflict into the mix?

You are an admitted separatist. I can understand your disrespect for those who fight against the idea of apartheid..... but this is the 21st century, not the 1860's.

5 people like this.
  2. bertzie

bertzie Senior Member

The only difference between terrorists and freedom fighters is what side you're watching from.

7 people like this.
  3. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

Damn straight, more power to the Cubans. They are living their own lives and creating their own destiny, their own way.

So fvcking what.....

2 people like this.
  4. Bigsby'd

Bigsby'd Senior Member

And how many millions has your side of the political/economical spectrum killed?

5. WaywerdSon

WaywerdSon Senior Member

Mandela's message of peace should be a model for all of us. I can't pretend to know all of his political philosophy, and in the end it doesn't really matter. He made a difference for the betterment of humanity, and for that he deserves our admiration.

6 people like this.
  6. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

Especially if you want to bring in slavery.

3 people like this.
  7. Bluesky

Bluesky Premium Member

Good points for sure. He is not a murderer. I'd like to have had a conversation with him, but he did have some crazy ideals about what Freedom really was.........and it scares me that Michelle Obama thought so much of him. :cool:

8. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Rip

1 person likes this.
  9. dennis g

dennis g Senior Member

RIP Madiba, and thank you for your contributions to mankind while you were here.

1 person likes this.
  10. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

He was what he was. Everyone needs to stop acting like they're all broke up over it. He was a commie thug and he ended apartheid. Take him for whatever you want.

1 person likes this.
  11. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I know that he was born into royalty, just illiterate royalty. I think I read it in a book ages ago. I'll try to dig up a source. I don't think that his type of royalty came with all the castles and stuff. I think he was from a relatively small village. I'd guess that subsistence farming was probably a popular profession in the area villages. At the time of his death, he was living in the nicest suburb of Jo'burg.

1 person likes this.
  12. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

There is no single ideology that has killed more innocent people than communism and its ilk.

Mandela's radical roots were Marxist-Lennist via Cuba's douche-bag in chief. To the oppressed, the lure of sugar-coated fairy tales about Marxist-Lennist ideology, wrapped in swarthy Latin American rebellious machismo was quite strong. To his credit, he didn't come out of prison a rabid commie. Ending systemic, government-sponsored racism so that all men can be free and equal is not the usual tripe a the core of Marxist revolution. Economic redistribution and the enslavement of the productive members of society (for the benefit of the nonproductive) were luxuries that would have to wait until blacks were free and equal.

Was he a terrorist or a freedom fighter? I think that absent the Marxist ideology, there would never be a question. I also don't see armed revolution (sans commie BS) in the face of such oppression as terrorism.

His second wife (Winnie) was a subhuman POS warlord. They were only married for a couple years before he went in the can for 27 years and 5 or 6 after he was released. She is a truly bad person. Had she been Haitian, her last name would be Duvalier.

1 person likes this.
  13. mtgguitar

mtgguitar Silver Supporter

14. mtgguitar

His favorite poem:

Invictus
    By William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

4 people like this.
  15. Bluesky

Bluesky Premium Member

This is an interesting argument . Both sides make good points and I'm just going to sit this one out and watch from the sidelines. So many people From President Reagan to Bill Clinton embraced him and argued for his freedom.

I have to respect that. I think he made a lot of mistakes when younger but grew wise in jail after 27 yrs.

Can't say I agree with any communist ideology......but I also didn't live his life and see what he saw.

16. JCM900MkIII

JCM900MkIII Senior Member

Rest in Peace, Hero

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JOvgfOkxgQ"]QUEEN with David bowie, - Heroes ( Freddie Mercu - YouTube[/ame]

(Removed drivel...)

3 people like this.
  17. mtgguitar

AFAIK this is a memorial RIP thread, kind of like a wake or funeral. There is a period of mourning during which people who do not have anything good to say keep quiet.

You kneejerk pigs who cannot wait until he is in the ground before denigrating him should ask yourselves what part of your upbringing caused attention whoring and narcissism.

13 people like this.
  18. AlbionLass

AlbionLass Senior Member

Quick, everyone score points off of each other. It's what he would have wanted.

5 people like this.
  19. mtgguitar

Thank you Lassy, I enjoyed my short stay on the moral high ground.:thumb:

:slap:

2 people like this.
  20. RaSTuS26

RaSTuS26 Senior Member

I don't watch the news any longer (not for years actually), so I just found out about this when I went to watch a show that's been replaced by a tribute show to Mandela. Long may he rest in peace, a sad day for many indeed.

3 people like this.